Front Fender Problem on a motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I was getting a nasty vibration from the front fender at 18-19 mph. I took a straight bracket from Ace, bent it into a crude L bracket with a short upright and a long horizontal then bolted it to the front section of the fender. That eliminated the loud noise it was making and I hope adequately secured it for now. I can still feel the vibration though so I guess I will have to learn how to true and balance my wheels.

Hey Hey , I saw a fender tab break at the same place and the fender wound round and round the axel until it drew in and bent a pizza slice pie shape bend in the rim and locked the front wheel tight... The dude went over the bars and did a splat on the asphalt... To our suprize he was ok and the forks didn't bend at all . I had a 24" wheel and tire he borrowed to get home.... Tom

Hey you guys.,.,., You might want to think about running wires through the frame. Any drilling on the frame could cause a stress crack to devlope that can cause things to go from bad to worse. It would depend on the steel of the frame itself... Cheep bike? I wouldn't do it ....I've seen the vibartions cause the frame tube to snap clean in two... No Lie .. Snaped Off Clean....Cheep bike from Wallyworld.... Now I got an old (1953) frame thats a Columbia that you couldn't snap it with power tools ...Ain't gonna happen. Tom in WV

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I have some stainless steel electric wall switch plates, etc. They make excellent rust proof bracket stock for fenders and likesuch. After doing the nosedive with a crushed wheel on a Wallyworld Huffy fender failure, I won't take any more chances.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have used many "L" brackets, everytime I go bigger and bigger. But eventually they always crack and brake on me.

What I am using now on the front fender is a chain link fence tension bar. It works great and has out lasted any L brakcet that I have used. As you can see in the pic it's pretty hefty and very easy to put in a vise and bend.

On the rear I got some very big plates that I made out of some extra material (sorry no pic)

Attachments

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
It WAS a beautiful Schiwn Cruiser. My buddy was riding home and he said he was only cruising around 20-25mph and the fender tab that attaches to the forks near the brakes snapped off. Before he relized he was on the ground. I'm glad he wore his helmet that day. I've noticed on my bike that speeds over 32mph my front fender vibrates like a S.O.B. Also I know (just like everything else in the world) some factorys don't build bikes like they use to.
Geez...that's not cool... Hope your buddy is OK. I took the fenders off my bike and keep them in the garage. Can you salvage the bike by putting a new fork on it? or is that a done deal?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The frame was also bent during the accident. I think my buddy still has his motor laying on his work bench.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Has anyone tried SKS P45 fenders on their bike. They're sold at bike shops and are made of aluminum and copper sandwiched between plastic and come in black or silver. It includes all stainless steel hardware. The stays are made of stainless steel rod and I have not heard of these ever breaking on pedal powered bikes. They are known for their durability. You can find them on the REI website (the forum won't let me post a link yet). I've used a skinnier version of these on road bikes and find them to be very durable. I realize they don't look as cool as the fenders found on most cruisers but it's what I'll be using when I build my bike.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I was getting a nasty vibration from the front fender at 18-19 mph. I took a straight bracket from Ace, bent it into a crude L bracket with a short upright and a long horizontal then bolted it to the front section of the fender. That eliminated the loud noise it was making and I hope adequately secured it for now. I can still feel the vibration though so I guess I will have to learn how to true and balance my wheels.
I havent tried it yet but Im told to put some weatherstripping inside the Fender to prevent noise.,Im also told that if you fill your Handlebars with lead birdshot it will cut the vibration.

p_lewis1016

Jun 5, 2009
Leavenworth kansas
eesh, looking at those pictures makes me think of when I wrecked my 49cc scooter. I had gotten in a car accident and totaled the car, so I got a gas scooter to scoot to work on. Worked great, road nice, fun little thing. I was going home one night and I hopped up on the sidewalk because the street was too busy for comfort, rode for a while, and then BAM! someone had put a BOLDER in the middle of the sidewalk over the hill. I ran straight into it, flipped about 2 times, landed, got up, the scooter locked up and I was just like GREAT, what fun. Next think I knew there was a small pool of blood by my foot, and I found that I had somehow knocked about 1/2 of my elbow off down to the muscle. I bent the front fork back, and bent the shaft so the motor was locked up. I just dropped the thing off at the dumb and walked to work from then on.

I've just now kind of got over it and I've gone back to my original plan, on of the 2 stroke kits for my bike. Hopefully I have better luck. I'm still young, but I really don't want to break any more bones, or lose any more flesh.

.bf.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a new bike now a schwinn delmar cruiser and a tab on my front fender broke but it was still held on by the side bracket legs that attach to wheel nuts. so i drilled out the ribetts and replace the tab with a very small steel L bracket and real bolts,now it wont break or come off.

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
To preclude any of these horror stories I've attached some safety wire on the upper part of the fender strut to the handlebar downtube. I've got over 2000 miles without a problem without it wired, but better safe then sorry my Grandmother always used to say.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Fenders dont fall off motor-cycles all the time that I hear of:;"HOW are they doing it"? (,street and jump bikes???) I dont mind using their ideas.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
sks fender at REI.com

alternative composite material fenders from REI, that the poster below mentioned.

Has anyone tried SKS P45 fenders on their bike. They're sold at bike shops and are made of aluminum and copper sandwiched between plastic and come in black or silver. It includes all stainless steel hardware. The stays are made of stainless steel rod and I have not heard of these ever breaking on pedal powered bikes. They are known for their durability. You can find them on the REI website (the forum won't let me post a link yet). I've used a skinnier version of these on road bikes and find them to be very durable. I realize they don't look as cool as the fenders found on most cruisers but it's what I'll be using when I build my bike.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I've had a fender snap on my Black Stallion bike. Luckily, I was going up a hill, and I wasn't going very fast. Plus, physics made it a harder possibility for me to go over the handlebars, as it was a steep hill. I didn't bail, but I could have.

...and now, a new story, for my current bike... (pics below)

Here's the thing guys, reading this thread made me think, "see, it must be my fenders causing that damn vibration and noise at higher speeds." So I just inspected my current bracket..... IT'S SNAPPED RIGHT IN TWO, NOT EVEN ATTACHED!!!! The snap happened on the bottom of the bend, and has just enough lip to prevent it from spinning around!!! OH MY GOD!!! Guys, you've likely saved my life, as I know how serious this problem could be... THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!

I have been risking death for at least a month now, I know because I can remember when the high speed noise and vibs started. Couldn't figure it out, I'm glad I figured it out the easy way, thanks to you guys!!!! WWWWOW!!!

Attachments

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
When I found my fender bracket in the front was giving out I drilled it out and replaced it with heavier gauge steel and bolted it better. Problem solved.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I've had a fender snap on my Black Stallion bike. Luckily, I was going up a hill, and I wasn't going very fast. Plus, physics made it a harder possibility for me to go over the handlebars, as it was a steep hill. I didn't bail, but I could have.

...and now, a new story, for my current bike... (pics below)

Here's the thing guys, reading this thread made me think, "see, it must be my fenders causing that damn vibration and noise at higher speeds." So I just inspected my current bracket..... IT'S SNAPPED RIGHT IN TWO, NOT EVEN ATTACHED!!!! The snap happened on the bottom of the bend, and has just enough lip to prevent it from spinning around!!! OH MY GOD!!! Guys, you've likely saved my life, as I know how serious this problem could be... THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!

I have been risking death for at least a month now, I know because I can remember when the high speed noise and vibs started. Couldn't figure it out, I'm glad I figured it out the easy way, thanks to you guys!!!! WWWWOW!!!
Wow AM. just wow. I have had the front wheel stop. Me and the rest of the bike didn't. So dang glad to hear (read) that you caught it b4

God bless and we should bump this thread every once in while. Protect each other an' new folks.

Again, great to hear you are ok!

brnot