Friction Drives

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Deacon - I think you are going to like the smaller drive wheel. The drive on the GOPed was even smaller than the one I have on there now. I put a sleeve on it to make it slightly larger. The traction you see is cut from a sanding belt, and contact glued on, I Dremle a slot in the roller and place the start in the slot so it does not tear off. The more power you have the larger wheel you can use. I think it is possible to have a spring hold the engine down and use a clutch cable to lift it, I have a Bonanza minibike I used this with, but it is lifting a wheel off a belt. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Deacon - check this out for a simple way to build a mounting outfit. I know it is fancy but it need not to be. I like the use of pipe to make the spreaders, and check out the method of adjusting the down force. I don't have any of my engines with the clutch so I need to make a way to engage from up front. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
EGOR VERY NEAT!! (^) I SEE YOU USED THE CLUTCH BELL HOUSING AS I ALSO HAVE. I`LL TRY TO POST A PICTURE OF MINE TOMORROW. DID YOU FIND THAT SPECIAL LITTLE BEARING SO YOU CAN USE THE 1/2" DIA. DRIVE SHAFT?? I THINK THE BELL HOUSING IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE SPACERS. VERY TOUGH (DURABLE) LOOKING SETUP THAT YOU HAVE BUILT.:) THANKS FOR SHARING. RON PS ARE YOU A MACHINIST BY TRADE ??:bike2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now that is nice and sturdy for sure. There is no way in ten lifetimes I could build that. Best thing for me is to hang it on the side like a tumor, then check the bolts every day or so.

but I do love it.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
EGOR HERE IS HOW I USED THE CLUTCH HOUSING. I AM NOT SMART ENOUGH TO POST A PICTURE.I CLICK ON INSERT IMAGE RITE ABOVE THIS AND IT ASKS FOR URL. I WAS NOT IN SCHOOL THAT DAY!!! http:// now what??? thanks for any assist. Ron:rolleyes:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
EGOR HERE IS HOW I USED THE CLUTCH HOUSING. I AM NOT SMART ENOUGH TO POST A PICTURE.I CLICK ON INSERT IMAGE RITE ABOVE THIS AND IT ASKS FOR URL. I WAS NOT IN SCHOOL THAT DAY!!! http:// now what??? thanks for any assist. Ron:rolleyes:
Thank's for the nice PM Neat Times

One way of posting a pic is to use the attachement...when making a post, scroll down to "Additional Options"...in there you will see "Attach Files"..below that is a box that say's "Manage Attachments"

When you click on "Manage Attachment" a new window will open up.

There you have a choice of "up load file from your computer" or "upload file from URL"....I have never had luck with up load from URL, I'm like you...I was not in class that day.

So the easiest way is to click on "Browse" just right of "up load from your computer" You should have another window open up with pics that are on your computer. Click on the pic you want and open file.

Now, all you have to do is hit "upload" If you want to add another pick...hit "browse" again and repeat the process. You can upload only 4 pic's on one post so if you want to add more then 4 you will have to make another post.

Now that you have picked and uploaded you pic's ...you can close that window and just hit "Submit"

Be sure your pic's are not too big or they will not post....you will have to re-size them.

Okay...this is how I do it....

I made a account at Photobucket...then I upload my pics from my PC to photobucket....I will resize them (I think it will do it automatically) then I click on the IMG code and copy it...and then I paste the IMG code on to my post.

If you go to this thread, the members really helped me learn to post pic's towards the end of the thread......http://motorbicycling.com/f28/post-more-pictures-916.html

I hope I made it clear enough, if not just ask and we will go over it again.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Egor My Pic Are To Lg To Up Load. They Are (jpg 2576 X 1932 - 967 Kb) The Up Load Size Limits Are (jpg 1300 X 1000 - 3.34 Mb) Do I Have To Set My Digital Camera Different Or Can The Picture File`s Be Changed. Fairracing Told Me How To Post Them, I Think I Have That Rite, But Now The Picture Files Are Wrong. :( Later, Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon Thanks, I`ll Try That Tomorrow. You All Keep Posting So I Have Something To Read Tomorrow. :bike2: ME AND THE TREE CREW ARE HAVING SOME NICE RIDES WITH THE FRICTION DRIVE. I HAVE ABOUT 9 NEW MOTORS TO ASSEMBLE KITS. I LIKE THE LOOKS OF SICK BIKES KITS. I`D LIKE TO GET ONE OF THEM FOR LATER, I WONDER IF THEY CAN KEEP UP WITH ORDERS ? THEY HAVE A NICE PRODUCT.. RON :ride:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Rea - the pix I posted. Sorry I forgot to let you know that it is not mine, I found them on the web. I was just using them to show how easy it would be to make a drive like that. I like the spacing the most. It is sure purtty. Have fun Dave

PS: For posting pic's it is easy to change the setting on the camera, I just need to remember to set it back for everythng else. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
This is a pic of one of the friction drives I made a few years ago. I have three of these engines, they are easy to use but they have no clutch. Have fun, Dave

PS: The 2nd pic is a throttle I made from a shifter I just took out all the parts that make it click, it is not a full handle but it works well. The 3rd is of a Sears leaf blower motor, that is the crankshaft not an addition.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Whenever I can find one I use a shifter as a throttle. I have since my first build of a china bike. They work the best of any of the recycled items I have tried.

I generally just one a big L bracket across the wheel and a spring to tie mine down and keep it immobilized. Under the motor I use a home made scissor hinge to allow it to lift off the wheel and still keep it from moving around too much.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
egor the old friction dr of yours would be rite on the money with a clutch. and pullstart. i`m very impressed with my friction drive. 49 cc, its too fast !! i have to get a speedo on it. i followed it with my truck, at 25 mph its purring like a kitten.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon My Test Pilots Are Complaing About The Thumb Throttle On Long Rides. They Were Suggesting The Shifter For A Throttle, That Would Stay On Cruise. I Said; We Can Do That , But Not For Buyers. :crash: We Are Not Using The Front Derailers, So We Have Extras. Do They Turn Far Enough For Wide Open. Ron.(p)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The one I have does.. I got two shifters now on bikes. One was the stand alone unit I took it apart and removed the lock mechanism it shuts down when you release it.

I have one on the mountain bike I bought as junk that is a twist shifter not the thumb kind. I left the lock in it since it is on a weed whacker engine. It works pretty goof for starting where you want to give it a little more throttle than idle. I don't like it for cruising case i have to change it all the time...

The one without the lock is fine. I used it on the china bike but I don't ride that much now. Just if I have to go for parts.

So let me say if it has the lock it is harder on the rider. If you can take the lock out of a twist shifter it is idea. The thumb throw one on my china bike I like just fine.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Deacon I rode the friction I was making today. I did it in true fashion, not having everything hooked up. I ran my foot on the front tire to stop, just like in grammar school. I held the engine down and worked the throttle as I held it down. But it worked well a little slow with the small drive wheel, it is only 21cc's. Well I have a few pics to put up, I used the holders for the brakes as my attachment point. Have fun Dave

Attachments

n7net

Jul 5, 2008
North Texas
Deacon I rode the friction I was making today. I did it in true fashion, not having everything hooked up. I ran my foot on the front tire to stop, just like in grammar school. I held the engine down and worked the throttle as I held it down. But it worked well a little slow with the small drive wheel, it is only 21cc's. Well I have a few pics to put up, I used the holders for the brakes as my attachment point. Have fun Dave
Dave,

I love it! We humans are an impatient lot, are we not?

Scott rotfl