Frame modification question

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Bought a bile off craigslist and thought I scored the deal of deals on a cruiser until I got home and researched and found out it's from walmary. Ugh.... You can feel the cheapness in the ride. After I got it running in top notch form I'm bummed it's on such a dinky bike. Want to put it on my cruiser I owned before I got the motor and initially wanted to put it on. Here she is.

that bar going across the middle is just too low to let the engine fit. It almost worked which woulda looked mean. Am just wondering how to get that bar out. Not many tools but I do have a good reciprocating saw with good metal blades. No grinder but I'm sure I could fin one. Any info appreciated Thanks.

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Mo'Beffah: the above pbike in the first post could easily have a motor put on it in the lower chamber, you would have to install extra wide cracks and front wards foot rests and i would put a first disk but that is me, i can elaborate if you want to try this

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
I already contacted Jhammer about fitting the motor with no frame mod. What I've gathered so far and also thought of myself is this: his idea was get a slant head motor, move the pedal cranks to a front mounted position(like a motorcycle)- he also said you could go the electric route an put the battery in the top part of the frame. I'm not too fond of either but I really appreciated the ideas. What I am gonna do( especially after my brand new tube exploded on me going 35 last night and scared the crap out of me. Now I'm really moving it off that ghetto walmart) is I'm going to cut the frame real simple. Instead of make it all pretty and grind down the stock welds I'm gonna cut a gap ou of the bar where the motor hits, and just mount the engine. I'm gonna leave the bar going across and just stop an inch and a half from each side of the engine. I then coul just slide some rubber stoppers like on a stool over the cuts to clean it up without grinding. I'm gonna Photoshop a pic with this idea and post it for you and also for me to see if it will look alright. I think keeping part of that bar will keep the nice chopper line. Mainly it's cause I'm restricted on tools but also all the work going into grinding, sanding and painting all gets takn away by just leaving most of it.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Also the other problems fo' this bike will be you need wider pedal cranks and a machined sprocket to fit over the nexus 3-speed hub. It's huge.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Sprocket thing and nexus hub don't mix. Replace the hub with one that will work with the hub adapter. Most bike shops will do all the labor and parts for trade just don't mention motorized bike tell them you don't need the extra gears play dumb.

I know I've done it twice.

Adam

hepcat_13

May 19, 2010
New Orleans
are you talking about the rear? mine is a single coaster brake. I'm kinda lost. I'm pretty good with metal fab I just need to know what I need to do. I'm really new to the idea of putting a motor on a bike though.

hepcat_13

May 19, 2010
New Orleans
I think I'm just going to have to buy a set up to figure out how to do it. I don't like the idea of removing the cross bar. I'll move it if I have to.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Sprocket thing and nexus hub don't mix. Replace the hub with one that will work with the hub adapter. Most bike shops will do all the labor and parts for trade just don't mention motorized bike tell them you don't need the extra gears play dumb.

I know I've done it twice.

Adam
Thanks a lot gofast. That helps big time. Is the hub adapter the sprocket and mount from manic mechanic? Those are pretty sick. If I go that route I'll make sure to get a hub that he has a pre order for. I might just go with a shift kit. Cause then it comes with wider cranks(I believe) and it will also le me keep my gears. Heard that hub isn't the best but ride em till it dies. Well see. Keep you posted on the frame mod. I'll remember to post a pic when I do it. Thinks it's gonna work just fine.

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Sorry if there was disappointment I still think that with the right crank set a slant head motor could be mounts without cuttng the frame, maybe before you cut the frame you should take the crank off and see if just getting a greatly smaller, pedal drive gear that would with wide crank arms allow the eninr to be mounted there Is a mount on the manic mechanic sight that could be mounted offset to do this job, hope it helps

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Here's my idea fothe frame
mod. Let me know what you guys think. If it'll work, etc. The welds on this frame are awesome so I have no doubt that removing that crossbar won't jeopordize the frame holding together as Electra also makes models without a crossbar.

and here's the original. As you can see I just wanna remove the segment that was hitting and also keep the chopper frame line.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
How about when you remove that section of the frame, you make a "engine head" type mount/clamp, re-welded to the remaining sections, will supply engine rigidity and frame integrity?? Just a thought.

Mac

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
That's an awesome idea. If I come across a welder I'll definately wanna put something on the head that a mount coups at least attach too. That way it's removable. But well see. Thanks again it definately woul add strength.