For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The spark went several years ago and it's loosing gas and replaced for $79..............wow, that kinda sounds like me.

All this hard work, and I end up as a metaphor for an old grill!
Hehehe yep.
I gotta hand it to old BBQ though, like me it will still work, it just needs coaxing and some TLC ;-]

The new BBQ is getting a real workout tonight, a couple of racks of babyback ribs, assorted veggies and bread for a prime time Cardinal's Football feast.

It should be one heck of a game here against the Vikings tonight but that is for my football topic here ;-}

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
On the upside, at least we got to enjoy a world somewhat saner, freer,
and cleaner. Kids today don't have that.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I suppose, KC, but we didn't have metal detectors in school. Campgrounds
were free. Remember milk in glass bottles before everything turned into plastic
trash? We didn't bus to go to school. We ,(gasp), actually walked or rode bikes.
We actually played,(outside), instead of crouching over some game controller.
I was a poor kid, but I had a real childhood that I wouldn't swap for one of today's.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
All the places that I played in as a youngster are now paved over or built on. A couple of the schools that I went to are still there but many of them are long gone.

Our old farm that was so far out in the country that the relatives packed lunches in case they got lost if they dared to come for a visit at all now has major highways running through it and where our house stood now has a city hall built on it.

My brother and I can't even go back for a visit to most of our memories. Life marches on except in our minds I guess.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Every generation reflects back on their younger days, their youth and the lives they lived and they will tell you, "it was better back then.". I recall my Grand Dad smiling and telling us about riding the river boats on the Mississippi when he was a young man. My Dad talked fondly of riding race horses at county fairs and what life was like, 'back then'. I certainly remember a cleaner, freer, less stressful and more innocent time growing up in the 50s and wouldn't mind if things could be that way again.

However I fear that much of the younger generations will not have those types of memories to look back on. Their recollections will be 'technology based' and far less human oriented that any before them. Many of them lack human skills, like face to face communication, the ability to entertain themselves without relying on electronics.

Technology is denying kids today to experience anything 'for real'. Yes they can get on a computer, or more likely their phones, and visit anywhere in the world. They see pictures and videos of animals, people and places and digitized images of anything they can imagine. But they don't 'experience' those things. They have only a shallow, very vague idea of what the world is really like.

They can pull up a picture of a horse and they can study that animal, read about its habits, diet, personality and anything else they want to know about a horse. But can they tell you what a barn smells like early in the morning? Can they hear the soft sounds a horse makes when he awakens and snuffles quietly over his stall door in greeting? If they're lucky whoever wrote what they're reading might include some reference to what being around a horse is like, but they can't know. Why? Because they've never actually experienced it.

I use the horse reference simply because I grew up around them and even the smell of a horse, or horse poop for that matter, today will bring to life memories of early childhood, my Dad and a race track at sunrise. Sweet memories and I have them because I lived them. I didn't just read about them on my phone.

Wake up, kids, and people. There is a real world out there for the taking. All you have to do is 'experience' it like generations before you did.

Tom

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I hear that, Eddy. I used to shoot jackrabbits out back of our place. Now
Colo. Sprs. extends a full 7 miles beyond that. I'll probably never get back
there. When I was little there were only 40,000; now it's a half million. The
Colorado I grew up in is long gone.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Yep, it was always interesting to have folks from the city bring their kids to see out cattle, hogs, and sheep. I was lucky to be able to live that life and it always makes me happy to hear the wife or kids recall special moments. That makes it all worthwhile. One of my best memories was around Christmas one year. I had grown a patch of popcorn and when I got it dry enough Jackie shelled it and put it in mason jars and put a bow on them. I remember giving a jar to a city friend's little boy. He asked where I got it and I told him I grew it. He was surprised. I ask him where he thought it came from and of course he answered "the store".

Dan

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I was born in Utah and I remember the milk man and reusable glass bottles.
We moved out here to the Wild West when I was like 8.

We always lived on the outskirts as my dad had a roofing company and that's where the new homes were going up.

I loved it.
I got tons of exercise every day.

I think what plagues big cities is there just isn't anything to go out explore every day and it's not safe to just walk or ride to school even.

Youth sports is about all that's left for daily exercise and away from the digital wasteland.
I know 1st hand what happens when you don't keep a kid in sports to adulthood.

My son quit everything once he had a car his senior year and is little more than a life sucking UN-empoyeed lazy junkie leach at 25 after a life full of health and opportunity in front of him until then.

It really sucks and not a damn thing I can do about it now.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Having places to explore & physical recreation, challenges, those are some
of the best things about childhood. I was a wild indian as kid. Dad called me
'Mile away' cuz I was always a mile away, climbing rocks or exploring a crik.
We thought nothing of riding bicycles 20, 30 miles a day. After school it was
always something, sand lot football, handball on the wall of the bowling alley,
ping pong, sometimes we'd take our bows out on the prairie & play archery
golf shooting at distant targets. Looking back, I don't know where all that
energy came from, but I sure don't see it in the kids in my neighborhood.

.....Come to think of it, I'm still a wild indian.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is a scary thought, while we're on the subject. There is an older Arnie movie, I think the title was 'Total Recall'. The premise was that people could have a memory 'implanted' and it was as real as real could be except that it was a 'fake memory'.

With technology moving forward like it is today, how long before people will no longer need to 'go on vacation' but simply have the experience implanted in their minds? Want to go surfing, or skiing, or sky diving? Or anything else you can imagine. You won't even have to leave your house. You can sit on your backside and 'experience' those things, and you'll remember it in detail!

Ohhhhhh, that's scary!

However, I saw a news story this morning about a bionic eye. It isn't perfected to the point that the person can see clearly but the woman who was the subject of the story was totally blind and she can now see images in black and white and very pixelated but it is a first step. She wears glasses that have a small camera in them. The camera sends an electronic signal to implants in her head which in turn transmits the image to her brain. Wow! Tech does have some good things going huh?

Tom

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Wait until they do UV and infra red and enhancement. Imagine not even needing conventionl light. The Borg are coming.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wait until they do UV and infra red and enhancement. Imagine not even needing conventionl light. The Borg are coming.
Isn't it strange that things we thought of as 'science fiction' are now becoming 'science fact?

"Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life down here."

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Yep it's a comin' all right. I was at Johns Hopkins Hospital last summer and found I qualify for a cochlear implant. It's most successful on young folks I think but at some point we may give it a go. I've seen the "camera eye" and it is amazing indeed. Heck, FastEddy will have his new knee soon and be rollerblading to Minnesota to see Silvebear.

Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Aaaw, they've had them things for decades. Here's a picture of me getting my first real look at Auntie Donna, va va va voom!
Wow, Chaz, you're right! I remember seeing ads for 'X-Ray Vision Glasses' on comic books back in the early 50s. In fact, I had a pair.

And, how about Dick Tracy's wrist watch? Now we have them that will start your car, and tell you whatever you want to know. I saw an ad for one that will monitor your heart rate, body temperature, blood/oyx and calory count, and it even tells you the time. Wow! And Tracy though he was cool.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Howz bout Tom Swift and the Repellitron Skyway. You have always smooth road ahead of you where ever you go!

MT

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Ahh, dem datblamed, new fangled gismos will give ya cancer. Not me,
I ain't getting radiation rot from no dam cell phone. No sirree, like I
really need a watch to tell me my heart rate, or a GPS to tell me where
I am. I'm right here, wherever the heck this is. Ain't falling for no
farm-a-suit-tickles neether. Why would I take sumpin' with a half
dozen side effects worse that what I'd take it fur! 7 bucks fur a
handful of purple heartburn pills when a 90 cent box of bi-carb is a
lifetime supply, Merck & them others ain't makin' a dime off me.
Gadzooks!