For all of you old-school guys wanting carbide!

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Wouldnt you find original carbide lights for just a little more money then what you would pay for one of these repros? I payed around $75 delivered off EBay for mine from England.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
But would you trust yours to actually work? and if you do then I found you a place to buy fuel :D Yeah you would certainly need a lens but I know you guys, you have the skill, if it can be dreamed it can be built! :dnut:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I could neither find (nor afford if I could find) the kind of headlamp I wanted for my bike. I'm sure I'm not alone in that situation either.

But that didn't mean I couldn't build a reasonable facsimile. Below is a pic of what I run. Since the time this pic was taken, I have put on an outer lexan lens to kind of raise the authentic look. But it's really just a 6v bike light inside there, powered by a bunch of Energizer Lithium AA batteries. I have an album on this forum that shows a little of how I made it from: a stainless steel toilet brush holder, stainless steel sunglasses case, and the tank from a longish holiday cookie tin. The housing holds the lamp; the tank houses the batteries and switch - within easy reach. It's really quite bright. And sitting rather high, it aims well.

Attachments

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
All I know about it is that the reaction is pretty darn slow and the way you adjust the brightness (rate of gas flow) is to adjust the rate of water dripping. The faster the water drips, the more acetylene will be produced per minute and then your light will be brighter, how bright I don't rightly know, but these lamps did the job a LONG time before electric was convenient and light weight :)