Flying Merkel engine found, need ID help

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Huh, I just remembered that the b&s motorwheel had a similar intake. And underpowered? About 1½ hp is enough to putt around, heck china motors are only alittle less than that. And with "flying merkel" allredy painted on it, your halfway done with the bike! :D

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I doubt that I could afford buying something like this, and I'm not much of a collecter of anything. I offered $50.00 to the guy, and he just laughed. I don't know what its worth, but I would guess that it would likely bring several hundred dollars in the right sales environment. Since I've only seen three pictures of it, I can't tell what particular features it has. I'm thinking that its likely to be the end of the interest in it for me and that the guy who has it (if he really does have it) won't be contacting me about it anymore. I realized that the first photo I posted has the engine sitting in a white pickup truck, and I've never seen the guy drive a white truck (he has a burgundy truck). That doesn't prove anything, but adds more doubt to the story I was told. I did enjoy researching it however, and if I ever do run across something similar, I hope I can get a good deal on it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Underpowerd? wasn't back then http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Power-Bike-plans.pdf They had a long stroke and a good size bore equivalent to todays 3 to 5 hp. Just that the RPM's are down comparied to todays high rpm engines. The torque made up for it. With todays modern oil and newer carb they would bark.
Its to bad you won't end up with it. The value is around $200 to $250....But less at swap meets..............Curt

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Awesome research. "porch lizard, the awesome researching wizard".

Er, yeah, something to that effect. :):):)