Flat tire

GoldenMotor.com

rocksalt27

Oct 24, 2013
Portland, ME
Well now I done it. I was modifying my Razor E 300 scooter when I drilled through the side of the rear tire. Is this fixable at all? Can I plug the side wall?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
No.

Think about an immediate flat at 30mph. That will ruin your whole afternoon.

Replace your tire.

I did, however, use TWO plugs on the sidewall of a 15" tire on a 1971 F-150.
It was not by choice, but then I drove it for over a year in 'down south' heat.
I know, that was not safe... or smart.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
What Trey said. For the cost of a bike tire you don't need all that drama.
I had a sudden flat on an old Triumph (rear tire) at about 30 mph. It did some violent fishtailing, then dug in and spat me off the high side and fell over breaking some stuff.
I hate flats.

rocksalt27

Oct 24, 2013
Portland, ME
It's not a bike, it's a stand up scooter with small, thick wheels. But I went through the inner tube anyway. Probably chewed it up real good, too.

Also, what's the high side?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
It's not a bike, it's a stand up scooter with small, thick wheels. But I went through the inner tube anyway. Probably chewed it up real good, too.

Also, what's the high side?
I thought it was a motorbike.
Oh well.
If you've ever laid a bike down sliding into an accident, you are set down easy.
If your brake is locked up, and you release it before you stop, the tire sometimes regains traction, the bike acts like a vaulting pole and the rider goes into the air off the 'high' side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMbFlPzS24

(That guy added too much throttle coming out of a curve, broke traction, then let off.
Same thing.)

It mostly happens when a rider enters a corner way too fast, stabs at the brake, locks it up then releases it- and launches off the 'high side' to the outside of the curve.
haha
I bet you never heard of a 'death wobble' either.
That's even funnier. Poorly designed front ends, with the wrong rake and trail factors built in, can suddenly begin to waggle the forks and bars back and forth so fast they are a blur. I had a home-brewed VW trike that was terrible, it could and would do this at about 65mph. It would be triggered by a wheelie coming down too hard sometimes. Sometimes it just happened.
My friend Fat Jack knew nothing of front end geometry.
He did it.
Here ya go, a story about Harleys that would do this.

http://www.kpho.com/story/14896060/some-harley-motorcycles-plagued-by-death-wobble-5-16-2011

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I bet you could put a patch on the inside like they do cars and it would be fine, I would give it a try.........Curt