Flat Screw Blew Hole in My Clutch Cover

GoldenMotor.com

Mercury

Jul 31, 2011
Austin, TX
My 66cc HT motor had been squeaking but still running well. Now I know the source of the squeak. The flat screw that holds in the crankshaft gear came off and must have slammed into the clutch cover, blowing a hole in it. But I can't screw it back on. I think the crankshaft gear is offset a bit and not letting me secure the flat screw. Should the crankshaft gear be sticking out like this? How do I align it, just knock it with a rubber mallet?
Thanks!
Mercury

Attachments

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!! HARD!!!! jk lol use a mallet. and that should do it.. you might not be able to get the screw in because the bevel gear is off of the post and its not close enough to allow the screw to meet the threads......hope this helps...

Mercury

Jul 31, 2011
Austin, TX
OK. I put a small wood block over the crankshaft and whacked it hard with a hammer several times. Didn't budge. How hard do you have to whack it? Can I damage the crankshaft by whacking it too hard? Uh, that sounds weird but you get it!

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I think I would use the puller from you kit and take that sucker off, the woodriff key may be askew under there or it my have worn a ridge on the shaft anyway i'd pull it apart clean it up(a little piece of emery cloth) and slap that sucker back to gether we always change the dumb screw out with a hex bolt and use BLUE locktight on it.Did you ever think of maybe put a little dab of grease on those gears(just wonderin) good luck be safe Bob

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
Can I damage the crankshaft by whacking it too hard?....

HAHAHA thats so funny....how do i make this line my signature????
if whacking it didnt work... you might want to try a new screw.....and if that doesnt work than remove the small bevel gear with the puller....and go from there....DONT LOOSE THE KEY!!!!!!!