Status
Not open for further replies.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Re: FL Gas MB Registration NOT Required as of 04/20/2011

Here it is in image format..
(my name and address were whited out)

P.S. They banned me from another site because I posted this...
Go figure!
Hang in there and be cool , too many e bike gurus have been banned !

And why would someone want an old timey gas motor when we can get so many different cool electric motors ! :)

I got a new old stock TLE 33 in the box. Anybody want it cheap ? usflg

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California

I never could understand why anyone would want to live in Florida.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

When it comes to gettin er done high tech from point a to point b no one beats the Florida kids ! :)

They took us to the moon, landed robots on Mars ! :)

Us Florida kids will get our electric bikes goin ok too ! ! ! :)

Don't ya'll worry about us ! ! ! usflg

Florida is a great state in a great country ! ! !

And the people ? All flavors, all colors from everywhere on earth they come ! ! ! :)

Last edited:

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

Taxes and less regulation for one thing......while the debate rages on about the legalities of riding the bike in Fl, and other states....they can still buy motors that are not available in Cali.

On topic......Has anyone realized that the more questions that are asked, the more likely it is that the answers will be made up on the fly (legislation to address the questions, not made up answers) and the answers that are finally arrived at will not be what we want?

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

P.S. I just received the letter on Official, Signed, HSMV Letterhead stating specifically...
Gas motor added to a bicycle is NOT street legal. The only motor allowed is an electric motor that can not be CAPABLE of propelling the bicycle at speeds greater than 20mph.
Here it is in image format..
(my name and address were whited out)

P.S. They banned me from another site because I posted this...
Go figure!
That was a real let down.......I was expecting something official, and you posted a letter from a secretary?

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

California, " THE MODEL POLICE STATE " Thats why. Crap moves east from west. Any crap oppressive law that is catching on state by state you can bet Caliornia had it first I'm afraid. Sorry, its just the truth. For one reason or another legislation in California is real popular with legislators in other states. Then they tend to copy them unfortunately and the cancer spreads eastward. .flg.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

And, from a legal / wording standpoint Sangesf, the lady that wrote that at whoes ever direction does'n't know what shes talking about. I don't care if she is under the directer of DMV or whatever it is. Laws are laws, And thats what tells us all what rides and what doesn't ride. For instance, She says a motor doesn't make a bicycle legal to ride on the Highway. #1 A bicycle doesn't need to be made legal. It already is. And I've seen people ride them legally everywhere except on the expressways. And I saw knowwhere in the letter where she showed a statute that said a gas motored bike couldn't ride on the surface streets (non highway / expressways). Now, They (the man) are supported by law when they say you must have a Drivers license to operate one possibly. It is hard to argue an MB is not a motor vehicle. But, then again, that document put out on 4/20/11 defines a bicycle with a motor a non motor vehicle, in other words, it is still a bicycle by legal definition. Definitions have a lot of pull in law. And NO, it does not exclude gas motors as far as I read that particular statute. But it does say somewhere else you don't need a license or registration to operate an electric bike not cap. of more than 20 mph. I'm sorry, no matter how you construe these rules and statutes it says nowhere rideing a gas powered motored bicycle (no more than 50cc) is against the law. At this piont it is just an assuption by the director of the state DMV in Tallahasee. No law, Shes screwed. I don't care how powerful she thinks she is. But I guarentee that next year there will be a law against it if we keep screwing with them. Right now we can beat them in court hands down if you are willing to follow thrue. Next year they will have a remedy for that ! Legislation is much faster these days then it was 20-30 years ago. It would have taken them 5-10 years to react to a problem. Now "****" next year they got the problem all bottled up. They love to make laws,laws,laws

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Let's look at it in terms of law..
1. Definition of moped IN LAW describes a bicycle with a gas motor on it.
2. In the statutes, it states you MUST register a moped.
3. In the statutes, it states you NEED a license to ride a moped.

Now let's look at DMV...
1.) The DMV will NOT let you register a gas powered bicycle. (as of 4/20/11)
(Since you NEED to register a moped (gas bicycle by definition) and the DMV won't let you register it, (BECAUSE of needed safety equipment) police CAN ticket you for an unregistered moped, that's the rationale behind a gas bicycle not being legal for road use.)***
2.) Since a gas bicycle by definition is a moped, you need a license for it.

*** Some people will say, since you can't register it, it is not a moped. EXACTLY!!! According to the DMV, it is NOT.. But according to the STATUTES (law) it IS.. and since it is classified by law as one, you need to register it, hence the reason why the DMV will not LEGALLY register it, because in order to be used on public roads, it has to be lawfully registered for road use.

P.S. You can't in one instance say the DMV won't let you register it, so it must be ok and then in another instance say the DMV is wrong when it sends a letter saying you can't use it on public roads. You either have to take "their word" ALL the time or none.
This has been PROVEN in case LAW before, with people getting ticketed for riding unregisterable vehicles on pubic roads. (i.e. gopeds and the like).
Some people will say that a bicycle doesn't need to be registered and it's allowed on public roads...
Yes, BUT the definition of a BICYCLE IS written in a statute (law) and says it's either a regular (pedal) bicycle or an electric one.. Anything else is NOT a bicycle and is subject to statutory definitions.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

There was one case very recently where the poster was saying, "they tried to get me in court but they didn't even prosecute, because no registration or license needed.."
HOWEVER, when it came to "push and shove" the truth came out and it was that he CUT the engine and pedaled BEFORE the cop saw him, so THAT is why they didn't prosecute, because there was no proof he was riding under motor power.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

California, " THE MODEL POLICE STATE " Thats why. Crap moves east from west. Any crap oppressive law that is catching on state by state you can bet Caliornia had it first I'm afraid. Sorry, its just the truth. For one reason or another legislation in California is real popular with legislators in other states. Then they tend to copy them unfortunately and the cancer spreads eastward
Huh??? Sorry for going off topic.

CA has very good gas motorized bicycle laws.
You can register them for a one time $19 fee and
get a lifetime plate.
Can drive 30 mph and use bike lanes on streets.
No insurance required.
I wouldn't want any of the CA laws changed.

Yes, you need to wear a DOT helmet and have an
M2 or M1 license but those are good things.

Look at the crap they go through in AZ because
suspended licences can use them. Cops hate it
and have a vendetta against gas bikes because of that
and they get in big trouble for going faster than 20 mph.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

You have to understand the MAIN (unspoken) reason that people want to use gas bicycles..
The main reason to complain about the law is that the ones who are most against it are the gas motor sellers and the unlicensed drivers.

I can see the point of the sellers, because they have a product that they want to make a profit on and if it's against the law to put on a bike, then they can't.

The unlicensed also don't want it either, because they want to skirt around the law.. Your license got suspended for a reason.. It is a PUNISHMENT, plain and simple.. They want to get around that by any means necessary.
THEY CAN VERY EASILY.. BUY AN ELECTRIC BIKE THAT CAN'T GO MORE THAN 20MPH! Simple!
Makes NO sense to complain about the law if you are neither of those two groups.. If the law doesn't allow a gas powered bike, THEN BUY A MOPED! Again, VERY easy!

California specifically spells out the laws, plain and simple... There are no complaints, because of being clearly spelled out.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

Ok, well maybe on motorbike law. But I swear a lot of laws that have been taking away our freedoms were first in California 10-30 years ago. But again, I must admit our motored bicycle laws can be aweful vauge here in FL.

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas

You have to understand the MAIN (unspoken) reason that people want to use gas bicycles..
The main reason to complain about the law is that the ones who are most against it are the gas motor sellers and the unlicensed drivers.

I can see the point of the sellers, because they have a product that they want to make a profit on and if it's against the law to put on a bike, then they can't.

The unlicensed also don't want it either, because they want to skirt around the law.. Your license got suspended for a reason.. It is a PUNISHMENT, plain and simple..
They want to get around that by any means necessary.
THEY CAN VERY EASILY.. BUY AN ELECTRIC BIKE THAT CAN'T GO MORE THAN 20MPH! Simple!
Makes NO sense to complain about the law if you are neither of those two groups.. If the law doesn't allow a gas powered bike, THEN BUY A MOPED! Again, VERY easy!

California specifically spells out the laws, plain and simple... There are no complaints, because of being clearly spelled out.
Did you just accuse everyone in dissagreement with you of being guilty of DUI? Did you do that because you have nothing but a letter from a secretary to back you up? WOW....sad, really sad. Al is right......Dead Thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.