First Weed Wacker Attempt

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am putting a weed whacker on a BMX bike for my son. He might weigh a hundred pounds soaking wet holding bricks. The motor I am using is a 21cc feather light. I have it mounted and I am trying to get the motor running again, I am guessing the carb is gummed up. Two question for the weed whacker gurus: Will 21 cc have enough get up and go to move my little man? Will the weight of the engine be enough to drive the wheel or will I have to put some springs on it to prevent excessive slippage?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
It will probably work, 21cc Featherlite is fairly weak, didnt even make a good R/C engine. If your going to put time into it might just find a 30cc. They are at lawn mower shops by the ton for a little a $5 if the folks are in a good mood. You will definately need some spring down force. Check out my latest insanity in DIY its your fault lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
at least one spring for sure, twenty one cc he will know it's there but probably can't kill himself with it. The best you can say for any WW build is that they are great ASSIST engines. You ain't gonna have a motor cycle. Be sure to check all you mouthing bolts for tight vibration killed most of my motors one way or another. How long is the shaft.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well I switched out the motor. I decided to go with an older homelite engine I had kicking around. It seems to be built a lot better and it did run once last year.

The shaft on the feather lite seems a bit loose and it has not even been run yet so I can't imagine that it is gonna last long at all once I put a load on it. The home lite is a rugged little thing that should work awesome once I figure out the gas tank situation.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Once my self contained ryobi goes I have to figure a gas tank. I am thinking 24oz coke bottle with two holes in the lid a second one with no holes as a spare just switch out the lids if I need more gas. Use cup holders bolted to other side of the rack that holds my motor