First Snow Bozeman Montana

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
For those of you who are not fortunate enough to live where the Rocky mountains meet the high desert, and the sky doesn't stop, this is our first snow of the year. This is the Bridger mountain range, elevation 9600'. We are 80 miles north of Yellowstone Park.
Enjoy!

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
No problem. Glad someone got a bit-o-joy!
If anyone is interested, I can post pics periodically...

I checked out your links, never been on flicker before. Other than the obvious congrats on the trophy (!!!), sweet gas-bikes, and killer drive system, I've just got the one question; where do I get a guy to hold an umbrella for me? :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Trey,
All I can say is I hope this moisture stops falling before it turns to snow down here. If what has fallen so far in the Denver area was snow instead of rain we'd be buried under over 100" of white stuff.

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice pics and we'll be glad to see more.

Especially photos of winter in un-urbanized places.

These last two summers have nearly done me in. I might have to retire and become a star-gazer, sleeping when the Sun is up, or get a third shift job.

Please, please, please Winter...get here. Get here soon....

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Trey,

When I saw the photos of the snow on the mountains all I could think of was that now it starts it's march down the mountain to greet you before it starts it's march back up the mountain when it's time there is done.

Steve.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
An update because today is such a beautiful day.

Steve- it continues...

1) East side, southern end, Bridger mountain range.
2) Same as 1.
3) Same as 1, except north end.
4) Mount Blackmore. Looking south toward Yellowstone park.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Well, it does change regularly here, so...

1) Bridger Mountains, Bridger Ski Resort is on the other side of this range (that's our weather level most of the winter)
2) The Spanish Peaks, seriously fantastic hiking (halfway between pic #1 and Yellowstone park)
3) Lone Mountain, nearly 12 thousand feet (the peak at Big Sky Ski Resort)

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Trey,
Thank you for the photos. Absolutely beautiful. Pretty wonderful when you think that people travel from around the world to see what you see everyday in your back yard.

I lived in North Conway, New Hampshire in the White Mountains for years and I saw Mount Washington from my living room window every day. It was said to have the constantly worst weather in the world. Three weather systems meet over top of it.

Google Mount Washington if you get a chance. Interesting history.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Trey,
I'm blaming you for this. Friday's forcast calls for rain/snow and a high in the 40s for Denver. I wish you'd kept it up there with you, but, noooooooooooooooooo, you had to send it south.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The crowd gathers late at night at the palace gate with torches flaming while carrying pitch forks and scythes. Yelling "Send him out", 'Send him out". Ala Frankenstein, 1931.

Send the weather south and you must pay!

Steve.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Steve- You are correct about the crazy weather at Mt Washington, a gal I dated years ago kept trying to get me to go- wish I had. It is really nice to have all this right here, now I don't have to pay for therapy:) I posted some other cool pics in "what good thing happened while you were at work today"

Tom- Wait a minute here! I thought you said you WANTED the snow... geez man, it's too late to change that order. lol

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Trey,

What a lot of people didn't know about Mount Washington unless they lived there was how fast the weather changed at the top. Constant warnings that people ignored at their peril.
Seemed like every two or three years they would have to bring a party down in the summer and notify the next of kin.

There are warnings that you should carry survival gear and clothing that will allow you to survive to around 30 below if I remember correctly. This is in June, July and August.
People start out in weather that is in the 70's and within 20 minutes it can be 10 below 0 and snowing with wind in the 60 to 70 mph range.

Didn't happen a lot but it did happen and people paid for not believing. I had a buddy who was on the mountain rescue team and I used to get the vivid and up front details of all the rescues. I often thought that the 30 pack and I were his relief valve after every rescue.

You missed some nice hiking and some beautiful scenery by not going but then you were paid off in spades being where you are now and they pay you to be there.

Steve.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Steve- People go missing here pretty regularly, but I think that's because so many people visit here. But it's the same problem as there- not being prepared. Those at the top of the preparedness chain don't even get out of the car without fire starting materiel etc.
You're right- I can't believe they pay me to do this!

Art- I recently found out that a friend is collecting and refurbishing old 250 type bikes. Apparently they're everywhere here... I intend to get pics.

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
There are warnings that you should carry survival gear and clothing that will allow you to survive to around 30 below if I remember correctly. This is in June, July and August.
People start out in weather that is in the 70's and within 20 minutes it can be 10 below 0 and snowing with wind in the 60 to 70 mph range.
i hiked up mt washington this past July. I was fortunate because at the summit it was 60 degrees with no wind, it was like 4mph, and it was clear! the ranger at the top said that it was a 1 in a 1000 day. they get fogged in up at the summit 330 days of the year. I was able to hike all the way to the top shirtless and just shorts. Best hike I've ever been on. The mountain is great, and the Presidential Range there around north conway is really a nice part of new england.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If man was meant to go to places like that, he'd have hoofs instead of feet. :)

I live so close to the mountains on clear days it's like they're in my back yard. But, I think it's been ten years, or more since I've been above the 8000' level. They're pretty, from a distance but I'm as close to them as I need to be. Originally from Florida, south Florida to be exact, mountains aren't really my cup of tea. I mean, after all, what can you really do up there? No hotels with warm beds. No restrooms, no resturants, no beaches, no place to get a margarita. Just trees and rocks and for most of the year, snow. They look good on post cards and calendars and from my back porch, but mountains are for goats, not flat landers like me.

Seriously, they do provide me with some indications of what the weather is going to be like. I always look up at them and gauge what's coming. The bad stuff always hits them first and gives me a day or two to prepare. And right now I'm preparing. Snow is in the forcast for Denver and the hills are already white on top. Rats! My snow blower is in the basement so I have lugging it upstairs to look forward to.

Tom

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I don't have hoofs for feet but my hiking boots do just fine. I see the mountains and think about fly fishing for trout and hunting mule deer. Fall in the mountains is a very special time.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Avalanche- fasteddie is currently busy chasing nurses around the room, but I'm pretty sure he'll be as impressed with those pics as I am- wow! And clear to boot! Thanks.

Tom- Someday you'll wise up and stop taking the snow blower downstairs for the five weeks of summer. lol

sportscarpat- Ever been up this way? All of what you mention, times 10.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
sportscarpat- Ever been up this way? All of what you mention, times 10.
Hi Trey,
Actually very close. I have been to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I just spent a lot of time back packing, fishing and hunting all around California. We have some nice mule deer but you have get up pretty high in the mountains to find them. Our coastal black tail are all of 120 pounds. Little things. We have some big turkeys, though! Shot a nice one with my bow last year. 17 pounds fully dressed and going into the oven. Best shot I ever made at 35 yards! Bow hunting is like fly fishing, much harder and more rewarding.