first exhaust mod completed

GoldenMotor.com

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Oh I didn't see you wrote lower baffle, I'm assume that's the catalytic converter?
yeah, its hte round disc attached to pipe ( with holes in it) welded to endcap. yeah it IS louder. sounds like my ginormous husqvarna chainsaw. not obnoxiously loud, BUT loude enough, where i can hear it, while inside work. ( i warm bike up for a few mins before i leave work every day. IIRC that part is refferred to as the cat. not sure why to be honest, ( unlike any catalytic converter ive ever seen)

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
those fins are made of an alloy, usually some type of platinum in cars, that reacts to the exhaust and makes the fumes less harmful to the environment.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
has anybody tried drilling an additional hole at the bottom of the baffle beside the existing tube? Well, I did... and it was calculated based on the dimensions of the exhaust port. The header should have a diameter of 22mm and the exhaust tube 16mm at the most. Existing tube only measures 8mm. I could'nt pull out the baffle so I think this is the next best thing to having a tuned pipe. I used a 3/8 brass male coupling from Ace hardware and redrilled the bore to have 8mm, drilled a 10mm hole beside the exsiting exhaust tube, then installed with some muffler glue. Easier mods than removing the baffle and drilling more holes. It's not that loud, but pulls a lot better and definitely more responsive. Four stroking is mininmized if not eliminated.

Last edited: