First Build - Diamondback Outlook

GoldenMotor.com

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Well its been a couple of weeks so I figured I would post some pics of my 1st build. I guess this could qualify as 1st and 2nd builds as I had to switch motors within a week due to out of the box problems.

It started with a Diamondback Outlook from Dick's Sporting Goods purchased for a MB. I was able to get it for $159 (down from $239) because it was a 2 day old return that was the wrong size. The first motor was a Grubee 66cc but as you can tell from the replacement engine ID tag, this is a 48cc. (You can make these with dog tag from a pet store or wally world- look for a post in the General Section).

I used a rear mount tank from ThatsDax because I liked the look better. I have read that the stock tanks seem to leak a bit and I didn't want any gas on my junk. The bag is a Topeak MTX DXP. It has fold out panniers and slides on and off the rack (Topeak Explorer) using a track system. This allows me to switch the back to my pedal MTB in less than 15 sec. The bag is simply awsome and can hold a ridiculous amount of groceries and spare tools. I had to make some brackets to lift the rack and tank above the carb. To fill the tank I loosen the quick release seat and turn the seat 90 degrees. The gas cap is behind and under the seat but still in front of the bag. Because of the track system for this brand of bag, I had to make a spacer block between the rack and tank. the tank uses mounting point on the top but I couldn't use fasteners through the rack slide on track. For a normal rear rack, mounting would be much easier.

I opted for a ATV thumb throttle from ebay and had to make a new, slightly shorter, throttle cable following Norm's post. Kill switch is a simple Radio Shack momentary switch and an old reflector mount. I had problems with the speedometer resetting despite using a SBP plug wire. I moved the CDI behind the seat with a 7mm automotive plug but had to use a Radio Shack EMI filter to finally solve the problem.

I have read that the stock clutch levers are junk. I contemplated getting the push button shifter that is available but it is nothing more than a 3 speed left side shifter for a MTB. I removed the front derailer during the build and retained the 3 speed twist shifter for the clutch. 1st gear on the shifter is engaged and the motor will drive the bike. Twist back to 3rd for pedaling. Its actually rather easy to twist and the ratcheting effect of the shifter keepe the clutch securely locked in place.

Ahh...what else....Front headlight and rear tail light from ebay. Great value at $4.50 shipped. Fuel shut off, fuel filter and front mount from SBP. Another good purchase. Picked up a Mirrcycle the other day just to be safe.

I have a 36t sprocket from Dax that will probably make its way on later in the week- perhaps with the addition of a new disc compatible rear wheel. Not sure on that yet. For now it sill do 27-28MPH and I'm almost 200lbs. Yes the speedo is calibrated properly. It would probably do a couple MPH more but I don't care to simply wind it out for long distances.

:) these are fun! I think my wife wants me to build her one now!
Many thanks to all of the contributors here. The tips and advice are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited: