Finishing the Greyhound Build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well I have one of those 79cc HF Greyhound engines so I thought I would build a bicycle for it. I have acquired 2 of the inexpensive mountain bikes as donors. I intend to cut 1 behind the seat post and the other in front of the seat post amd join them together with tubing so I would have an easy place to mount the motor. Sort of a mid engine deal. .weld.spr.scratgThis MB will be my winter project. I want to use a centrifigal clutch and gear it so it will hit 30 mph at 4000 rpm.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Re: This is what I have in mind

I plan to build it like this. Connect the two pieces with chromoly tubing and mount the engine with a centrifigal clutch. Get some bearing adapters made for the bottom bracket and use it for a jackshaft. Build a wheel with a freewheel on the left side. Anybody see anything wrong with this plan? Comments welcome.
Elmo scratg

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Lookin' forward to seeing her done Elmo. That's a perfect engine space.
Dan my shop is the great outdoors and rain is hindering me right now. I have a 12 x 14 building I am cleaning out so I can get back on it. thanks for the reply.
Elmo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just thought about it, you have an empty BB. How cool is that! Could do so many things. Shifter or just reduction. Very cool.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Dan I have plans for a jackshaft there. Ron suggested making a shifter out of it. Do you think the Greyhound has too much power for a shifter setup? I am getting up in age but my mind is still young and I still like to hit the gas every now and then.
Elmobrnot

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, I hear ya about the getting on. That guy in the mirror with the gray in the beard freaks me out as often as not.

Tyreslider and I have joined forces to build a drive train for that engine and opted for first prototype to go with a conventional drive. But are going make a shifter kit next. So I really have no first hand knowledge as yet to offer you. I personally will be sticking with a conventional drive. I know me, some day get a beer in me or get lost in the joy of the speed and just have to see what her top end is.

Was below for a smoke a lil bit ago and was thinking about all the options you would have. Got to thinking about a tandem BB and chain ring could be your entire reduction. I dunno what size they are though and I have tried. Been to bike shops and searched online.

A shifter would be pretty KA with that engine though. Can't wait to try one on a 4 smoke.

Ron comes up with some great stuff. His CVT is amazing.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have figured one thing out. I cannot get enough reduction with one jackshaft to run a shifter. With this motor I need at least 9-1 reduction. More head scratching to come. I will have to have a gear reduction or two jackshafts for a shifter.
It would be easy with a right hand sprocket on the back wheel and one jackshaft but yall have flung a cravin on me for a shifter.
Elmo

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, You Need To Satisfy That Craven!! Lol. You Could Do Like You Say; A Big Sprocket On The Right Side (on A Internal Multi Speed Hub Or Nuvinci) I Know It Gets Pricy. I Don`t Know If An Internal Shifter Hub Is Strong Enough. Hope Fully Some One Will Jump In With Good News For You. A Multi Speed Would Be So Nice With That Power, The Motor Not Roaring Is So Nice. I Have A "royce Union" With A 4 Speed Internal Hub. Plan On Trying It On My Stretch Cruiser With A Jackshaft. Made A 15 Minute Video Today With My Helmet Cam On Mab. My Voice Came Thru Very Good With The Full Face Helmet. The camera in the pics is old film camera. Elmo, hope you don`t mind the camera mount. Ron

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Elmo, You Need To Satisfy That Craven!! Lol. You Could Do Like You Say; A Big Sprocket On The Right Side (on A Internal Multi Speed Hub Or Nuvinci) I Know It Gets Pricy. I Don`t Know If An Internal Shifter Hub Is Strong Enough. Hope Fully Some One Will Jump In With Good News For You. A Multi Speed Would Be So Nice With That Power, The Motor Not Roaring Is So Nice. I Have A "royce Union" With A 4 Speed Internal Hub. Plan On Trying It On My Stretch Cruiser With A Jackshaft. Made A 15 Minute Video Today With My Helmet Cam On Mab. My Voice Came Thru Very Good With The Full Face Helmet. The camera in the pics is old film camera. Elmo, hope you don`t mind the camera mount. Ron
No problem Ron. What kind of camera is that? How much did it cost? Your helmet mount homemade or bought? I don't think a regular 3 speed bike hub would stay there.
Elmo

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, There Is A Lot Of Multi Speed Hubs On Ebay. Strumy Archer 3 Speed Is Common. Hopefully Some One That Knows The Good And The Bad For Mab Will Jump In. That Camera Is Old School= Film. Had To Use My Good Camera To Take Pics!! The Camera I Use Is A Kodak Easyshare Z7590. Bought On Ebay $175. Refurbished. I Have Bought Several Refurbished Items And Had Good Luck. That Camera Orig Sold For Around $500. I Have A 2 Gig Bit Sd Card In It. The Computer Tells Me The 15 Minute Video Is 206 Mb. (if 2 Gig = 2000 Mb. There Is 1794 Mb Left!!!! Wow) The Video And Audio Is Quaility!! I Tried A 4 Gig Sd Card, It Would Not Accept Or Format It. These Camera Are Far Out!!! The Newer Models Must Be Even Better, But Not Necessary. I Bought The Mount Of Ebay For $25 W/sh. And It Turns Out To Be Plastic. Had To Use Old Tripod Top Piece (camera Holder) The Mount Was Incomplete. Found A Very Nice Quailty Aluminum Mount Later On Ebay For $40. W/sh. It Would Be Much, Much Better. Hope There Is A Hub That Will Work For You. It Mite Be The First 4 Stroke Shifter! Ron PS The mount worked great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I made a little progress on the frame today. I used 1" squqre tubing with .125 wall to connect the bottom brackets together. Used a top tube from another bike for the top tube. Still got a lot to do.
Elmo

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The wheelbase is 66". The same as my long wheebase recumbents. I may add a second seat, pegs, and a demountable bar to give my grandkids rides. I had to make it that long so I would have heel clearance when I peddle. I dont want to use wide cranks or bend the cranks out. This is mostly a proof of concept build to see how it handles and what problems I will run into. If it works well I will probably scratch build a new frame. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU
Elmo

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, Watched Some Vids Etc. That Engine Probably Will Not Need A Shifter With All The Power It Has. Just Hydraulic Brakes!! BIG ONES!! Lol. Ron