Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Use the EZ Q-Matic

• Comet tav2

• Total voters

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Is the EZ Q-Matic for 79cc Predator any better than the jack shaft setup you see in the 79cc Predator kits? I found a video of a EZ Q-Matic and 79cc Predator on youtube. The video is very short and tells you very little.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
I went to the EZ site and it’s a little confusing. I too am interested in this transmission for my 79cc Predator project. What needs to be ordered to make it work?

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
mbrebel has the EZ Q-Matic setup for 79cc Predator Engine $329.99. I just want some input before I spend 329.99 on a transmission.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Does anyone make a CVT granny for the 79cc predator? Would that be a better choice?
You can get a shaft adapter to increase the diameter from 5/8 up to 3/4. This will allow you to use the tav2 (torque converter) there's a little bit of work involved. There's also a couple guys who utilized the qmatic output gear to run on the tav2 in order to run the drive gear on the back side of the backing plate. The tav2 output gear is directly behind the driven pulley which means a far right offset on motor mounting to accommodate the drive gear location.

I personally like the gear reduction setup for the 79s. Ive done some gear changes for better accel and kept my top end within 2mph of where it initially was. You just gotta play around...my setup might not be right for your setup...

Mine goes 11t clutch to 24t, that 24 is backed by a 14t out to my wheel which is 58t on 16" moped wheels.

Attachments

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
mbrebel has the EZ Q-Matic setup for 79cc Predator Engine $329.99. I just want some input before I spend 329.99 on a transmission.
That is a little pricey for a belt drive to chain setup if that’s what it is. Am I missing something here?

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
I don't want to sound like a paid for political advertisement. The Q-Matic is a strong reliable bicycle engine transmission. The clutch is on the reduction side of the transmission so I think there is less wear on the engine's crankshaft bearings and maybe it spins up faster. I would upgrade the transmission's 2 inch cast aluminum engine crankshaft drive pulley to a steel pulley (at Tractor Supply) or a balanced cast iron pulley maybe at Grainger. You could call Quenton Gunther he used to always answer his phone. The Q-Matic is also made with commonly available parts.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Wow! Be a lot of money for both, Q-Matic is nothing but a jack shaft with a clutch on it.( although a nice unit, love belt drive ), and the mounting plate right to the engine.. you sure don’t need 2 clutches, just my 2 cents............Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Curt, there is more to a Q-matic. The crankshaft sheave is adjustable for torque. I bought one from Lynn but in the end, did not use it. $300 just resting on the bench.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
You can get a shaft adapter to increase the diameter from 5/8 up to 3/4. This will allow you to use the tav2 (torque converter) there's a little bit of work involved. There's also a couple guys who utilized the qmatic output gear to run on the tav2 in order to run the drive gear on the back side of the backing plate. The tav2 output gear is directly behind the driven pulley which means a far right offset on motor mounting to accommodate the drive gear location.
After reading your post I started looking on google. Found Comet tav2 torque converter kits.

I searched this site and google. Could not find an example of a qmatic and tav2 torque converter. What would the advantage be? Seems like the qmatic and tav2 setup could be thinner but I could not find anything.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A CVT is a power vampire at the start of drive train, but none the less it works well.

I fashioned the mount with new parts I had in the shop.
I could only get like 40mph out of it, my 48-53cc 4-stokers get that.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
After reading your post I started looking on google. Found Comet tav2 torque converter kits.

I searched this site and google. Could not find an example of a qmatic and tav2 torque converter. What would the advantage be? Seems like the qmatic and tav2 setup could be thinner but I could not find anything.
Comet is good, the ones sold in kits has a diecast back plate that the variable pitch sheaves are mounted to. It cracks and breaks at a knit line in the casting frequently. Got a buddy that can tell you all about it.

Last edited:

iHaveAdog

Mar 25, 2017
NE
Curt, there is more to a Q-matic. The crankshaft sheave is adjustable for torque. I bought one from Lynn but in the end, did not use it. $300 just resting on the bench.
if you have paypal and are willing to ship it, ill help you recover at least some of that 300... lol

For any questions, and to even order for the best price, your best bet is to just call the creator, Quenton, at the phone number listed on the ezmotorbike website. i ordered mine from him a year and a half ago, and he was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. His advice for me and my build, turned out to be 100% spot on.

remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy one of these, you will never have to worry about a transmission problem again

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
if you have paypal and are willing to ship it, ill help you recover at least some of that 300... lol

For any questions, and to even order for the best price, your best bet is to just call the creator, Quenton, at the phone number listed on the ezmotorbike website. i ordered mine from him a year and a half ago, and he was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. His advice for me and my build, turned out to be 100% spot on.

remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy one of these, you will never have to worry about a transmission problem again
iHaveAdog, Thanks for the offer, but it is paid for.. Heavy as a Q-matic is it should be quiet. Quenton was making adaptors for 49cc Huasheng engines that my Huffy-Davidson is powered with. I will have to browse his site again

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Quenton was making adaptors for 49cc Huasheng engines that my Huffy-Davidson is powered with. I will have to browse his site again
I am supersized an HS 49cc can make a Q-matic CVT even work they use so much extra power just to function.
Not that big of a deal with big engines, but if you are trying to stay as legal a possible with a ~50cc 4 stroke yet still be able to climb hills and haul ass, put your CVT on your back wheel like this ;-}

That has a NuVinci 360 CVT rear hub.
Note the Axle Tug on the rear wheel, that is an HS 144F-1G 53cc and 10G 5-1 reduction, the rear wheel wants to move forward where the power is and a tug stops that.
You will most likely need an axle tug for your build as well with your engine power.

Let me E with Don Grube about adding the bolt holes in this version of of the 4G.
http://grubeeinc.com/4G Model PARTS 2.html
That would be cool for any Predictor owner ;-}

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I have given the 4G some serious consideration and may in the end go there on my Huasheng. But the Q-matic is way more robust in every way. The V-belt may induce drag but hugely strong. Favoring the 79cc and 212cc Predators. KC is our leader in the use of the NuVinci variable speed drive they are spendy. That KC used them on his builds aces my concerns about reliability in tolerating the power pulses of an engine.