exhaust pluged

GoldenMotor.com

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Anyone have any bright ideas on how to unplug a mufler, this one is full of carbon and was wondering if seafoam or any other chemical will free it up, or if I run a brush through the exhaust port, or any ideas for a good brush and where i could find one long enough but flexible?usflg

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
i heard you can clean a muffler by heating with an oxy torch then switching off the acetylene & letting the oxygen promote the combustion of the gunk

hang it up outside

apparently, done right, you will see the red glow travel the length of the muffler - taking any paint & chrome with it btw...

no, i've not tried it myself yet... sounds fun though...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Wes. I just cleaned a 2 smoke muffler with seafom. I put it to my lips and blew threw it b4 and after. Really made a big difference. Way I did it was poured it threw and strained it threw a coffee filter into another bottle. Then I used a rubber band and latex glove 2 block the out and poured it back in and let it soak inside leaving the muffler horizontal. Did wonders. I dunno if some thing would work better, that is just what I did. Please post what you try.

Post Script, it was badly gunked up and really causing lack of "umpf" I also used an unbent wire coat hanger. But it did very lil

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
i heard you can clean a muffler by heating with an oxy torch then switching off the acetylene & letting the oxygen promote the combustion of the gunk

hang it up outside

apparently, done right, you will see the red glow travel the length of the muffler - taking any paint & chrome with it btw...

no, i've not tried it myself yet... sounds fun though...
Resta, always fun to put a torch to almost any thing! lol. Gonna try that. TY. (Dang the paint/chrome, full speed ahead!)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Years ago I would clean out the gunk from inside my 2 stroke dirt bike exhaust by throwing it in the campfire after everyone went to bed. It really stinks, and probibly was not good for the hole in the ozone. After it cooled, I thrashed a bicycle chain around inside it to knock any stuff loose. Just hold on to one end of the chain, you do not want to loose the chain inside your pipe! Yo may never get it back out..... :oops:

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Ill have to try the seafoam trick first as i have some around, but if that doent work i can get my hands on a good torch, who cares about the chrome this sounds fun!!!

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I clean mine with blocked drain cleaner like drano, it says to use only cold water but I use hot and stand back :)

Last edited: