everything you need to know about California Laws in one place.

GoldenMotor.com

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Thx 2 the both of U4 the inclusive info. I still have 2?'s. 1. Is any insurance required? 2. May I complete the form, send in the form and the $, and get my plates without being a Cal resident?

IM interested in (2) because I wish to visit the state with my machine, and also want the authority the plate would give me while visiting other states. As 4 the insurance, well, I don't want 2 go 2 prison FI hit accidentally hit someone in Cal, and M out of insurance compliance.

Plz don't accuse me of laziness. I read every link.

Thx, bobob

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Who else used 2? The writing SN short hand, the ?s R 4 real.

FI really wanted 2B neato cool I would use a nifty crypty handle that NO 1 OUTSIDE MY SUPER SECRET CLUB COULD DECODE.........

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Insurance is not required, but if you could get some (actually find a company willing to do it) it would not be a bad idea.

Getting a Cali plate and not actually living in Cali is a no go.

If one could do "musical chairs" registration I would register my truck in Az and be smog exempt. (Ooooh the possibilities that would open up for me! :D )

If you have relatives in Cali and they are willing to work with you on it...
I am not suggesting anything illegal here, just a thought I had.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Thx Gearnut

You sure seem to know the facts, and I appreciate you sharing them. Also, your example makes perfect sense. But in light of that, here's my situation. My kid propeller heads at the Lawrence Livermore Lab and has a house in the Castro Valley. Could I register in my name, but use his address? The advantage would be his insulation from any liability. MY example would be Richie Rich Mitt R., who has seaside digs in Malibu. Assuming he's now officially a 3.2 beer state resident (NO idea if this is true), he must certainly have Cal registered car(s) in his huge garage(s). One of his many boys might as well. So, if I don't screw Cal out of registration fees or property taxes, what do they care if my vehicle spends 1 week a year in my son's garage, or 52?

This is admittedly in the weeds, but seems like if anyone would know.............

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm not 100% sure, but you can get a "statement of facts" from a california dmv and claim the bike is in california and you want to register it there. that way you could use your own name.

it would be easier to use your son's address and you could still use your own name and he could send you the plate.

i've done similar things with cars when i lived in arizona. my car was originally registered in ca, and i wanted to keep the plates. this also side stepped the smog requirements. the dmv issued me my tags, sent them to me in az, and told me when i came back to ca i had ten days to get it smogged. i returned and never smogged the car. got pulled over for speeding a few times and the smog requirement never showed up on anything, and since i had the tags i was legit.

our bikes don't need smog or insurance, so it'd probably be easy to do the same thing.

if you use your son's name, i don't think he'd suffer any liability if you got in an accident. we're still treated like bicycles as far as accidents go. most likely a car is gonna hit you, and not the other way round.

if you plowed into a car, most likely their insurance would cover the damages to their car, and you'd get nothing. if you ran down a pedestrian, they'd have to sue you. and california lawyers would love that.

you can get insurance from companies that insure scooters and mopeds, but i don't know the extent of the coverage. i talked to a guy who insured whizzers (don't remember who so don't ask) and it was liability only for something crazy like 350 a year.

if you really want the status of a ca plate, i'd use your name and your son's address. the form is so basic they're not going to investigate (or care) where you actually live.

but, you might be creating more problems in your home state. depending on what your laws are, the cops may see and out of state vehicle and make you pay to comply with theirs. or they might just think you got it from a cereal box...

Last edited:

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
bairdco

Complete, thoughtful and compelling. Think I'll send in the form with my name, my son's address (with his permission) and the $. But I won't plate up in Missouri, where I ride 97% of the time.

Separately, if any of you like that "other" forum, fine. I check it myself about 1/week. But the helpfulness/thoughtfulness on this forum is great. Very happy forum newbie here.....