engine wont fire/ hard to pedal now?!?

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
hey guys got a real puzzler here...

today as I was comin down a hill with my clutch engaged (lever in) some azzmuncher in a big truck thought itd be real funny to get close and blast his airhorn and startle me- causing me to "pop" the clutch, my engine raced for a second, pulled clutch back in, slowed down then tried to engage the engine, it made a weird noise like the chain came off so I pulled the clutch in again- SHE DIED ON THE SPOT AND REFUSES TO BREATHE AGAIN!?!

I have spark, I'm gettin gas, disconnected the kill switch just in case, seem to have adequate compression... IN FACT SHE'S BECOME EXTREMELY HARD TO PEDAL WHEN TRYING TO START NOW?

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
Something like that happened to me when test driving my new build. The pop i heard though came from the rear wheel snapping the breaking (coaster) system in half. It was hard to petal because the top part of my frame and the wheel where in contact. I got a new breaking system and then i was off.

Check it out. It could be it but probably not lol.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
nope drum brakes front and rear on heavy duty axles, and 12 guage spokes!

THIS IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING INTERNAL TO THE ENGINE- HEEEELLLLPPP!!!!!!!!

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
your clutch wire slipped from the holding nut at engine clutch lever when you "popped" the clutch . Simply readjust it and have some fun

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Nope Clutch Still Seems To Work Fine-when Engaged She Pedals Easily, Let It Out -veerrryy Hard To Pedal, Wont Start....

Any Other Suggestions?!?

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California
take the motor off and pull it apart is my guess. check around make sure everything is good inside... im making this assumption by you saying its extremely hard to pedal.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
I had one die on me like that. left me stranded. I was just riding along and it stopped. I couldn't pedal at all!!!

When I got home and tried to take it off the bike, I found that I could manually turn the motor over, but only backwards!!!

It was under warranty so I didn't take it apart. Theonly thing I could come up with was that something broke internally, maybe a bearing or something like that. You may want to take it apart.

grinNbarritt

Jun 4, 2010
Orcutt CA
Did you pull the plug out n try to pedal it? If it hard to pedal with the plug out you prob cooked something..... Old motor ,new motor? Jim

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
ok, so you can pull in the clutch and the bike rolls, right? and you say with the plug out the bike moves, so the piston's not seized.

the bike rolls, so the chain's not jammed.

assuming you checked all rolling parts (wheels, gears, chains, etc) and it's not the bike itself or the drive chain, i'd take the teardrop clutch cover off and have a look-see. make sure there's no chunks or anything out of the ordinary. pull the clutch lever and roll the bike, and check to see that everything's moving.

here's a question, when you're trying to start it and you pedal with the clutch lever pulled, what happens when you let it out? does the back wheel seize up or does it pump through the compression strokes?

i'm trying to figure out what you mean by "it's hard to pedal" yet "it rolls with the clutch pulled in."

these bikes are supposed to be hard to pedal without pulling in the clutch. you're fighting the compression otherwise.

if it just won't start, then it'll get hard to pedal as the engine slows you down.

and if you have spark, and fuel, i'd redo the electrics.

i have no idea what the noise was, or what coulda killed it, but it coulda just been the jolt of trying to fire up that knocked something loose.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just so ya know halfevil333, when you pull the clutch lever in, it dis-engages the clutch, enabling the engine to turn freely so you can pedal or stop. When you let the lever out, it engages the clutch enabling the motor to power the rear wheel. Just sayin'...you got it bass ackwards.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
yeah, he's right. that's why i try to say, "when you pull in the clutch lever..." or whatever, so it doesn't confuse people who are sticklers for proper technical terminology...;)
It is usually a given to know something of what you're talking about.....just trying to help....not really a stickler;)

roozbeh

Feb 18, 2012
canada
Hey sorry but my 1 week old engine is like this to omg! however, when I take spark plug out while (spark plug out and engine engaged it is hard to pedal) what is up