Electric Time machine

GoldenMotor.com

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Hey guys i need a little help here. Im about to build a back to the future delorean bicycle. There wont be enough room for a gas engine so electric will have to do. Can anybody suggest a reliable kit for about $500 to $600 including batteries?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
For that price range, do an amazon or ebay search for "currie electric bike kit".
Expect underwhelming performance, a short travel range and short overall battery life.

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Ouch! Obviously you can buy any gas engine you want regardless of size for that price, So do i spend somewhere north of a $1000 to get a good kit or what?

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Dude, thats hilarious! Let the jokes fly! LMAO. This will be one of the baddest bicycles ever created, its going to cost some money for sure.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
So it's 88 mph on a bike. Would you take personally if I were to take some life insurance out on you with me as the beneficiary? :)

In my thoughts to have a decent bike I would start with a Currie motor from Sick Bike Parts who advertise on the side of the page at the top. I have their 48V motor but haven't put it in my bike as yet since I have another one in the works. Good controller and they are here if you need them.

The best places to buy a battery it would be either Ping or maybe better yet EM3ev. Just Google them. They are both in China but the both have a top notch reputation for quality and service. You can figure in the neighbourhood of $1,500 for a motor and battery to do it right.
Two words you will never see in the same sentence when talking about electric bikes are cheap and good.

I think you are better off with a mid motor like a Currie instead of a hub motor. If you look on Endless-Sphere for "Lightening Rods" who is a member there, you see a motor he builds which is a mid motor that is a killer from what I hear but they are around $900.

Hope you join us on the electric side.

Steve.

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
The fastest ive ever gone was 60. Go ahead with Insurance policy. I can fabricate fine but electrics are still a mystery. Hoping you guys can clear things up!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
The fastest ive ever gone was 60. Go ahead with Insurance policy. I can fabricate fine but electrics are still a mystery. Hoping you guys can clear things up!
Yes I could use some clearing up on isle 4 in the ultra high speed electric bike department, as well. LOL

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
Could i use a electric lawn mower? Or would those kind of motors not cut it. My bikes are not lightweight and neither am i. Maybe one of those razor 300 scooters? Just adjust your gearing right? The last attempt was a 24v motor connected to two batteries with a 30amp fuse. The fuse blew and we just wired it straight, gearing to high. I smoked that motor like mount st helen.lol ps it was a wheel chair motor.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Could i use a electric lawn mower? Or would those kind of motors not cut it. My bikes are not lightweight and neither am i. Maybe one of those razor 300 scooters? Just adjust your gearing right? The last attempt was a 24v motor connected to two batteries with a 30amp fuse. The fuse blew and we just wired it straight, gearing to high. I smoked that motor like mount st helen.lol ps it was a wheel chair motor.
If you wanna go over 60MPH the only thing that matters is volts + amps, and you are gonna need a whole lot of both to propel a full grown man (no matter what the bike weighs or it's gearing) at those speeds. My electric motor is capable of momentarily handling 278A @ 72V. Now what is the electric lawnmower rated at? LOL

A x V = W
745W=1HP

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I never said i wanted to do 60. Only that i have. Speed is not a priority here. But will sacrifice speed for range.
You did say it would be "one of the baddest bicycles ever created" though. I assumed extreme speed after that. LOL

If speed is no issue then tear that mower apart if you already got it. The worst that can happen is that it wont be enough to do more than 5 mph. All you do is try. I have no idea how small is too small since the Federal legal limit is like 750 watts which is 1 HP.

empire steve

Nov 29, 2013
las vegas
I meant design wise. I build themed bikes that actually look like the vehicle it resembles. If i want to go extreme speeds ill stick with gas. But do have a eye on a 1000w 48v motor. Im looking into it now.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I meant design wise. I build themed bikes that actually look like the vehicle it resembles. If i want to go extreme speeds ill stick with gas. But do have a eye on a 1000w 48v motor. Im looking into it now.
Good because it's much easier to design something that's in the normal range of electric bikes than trying to build something at the other end of the speed spectrum. If you build it within your stated budget then that is an accomplishment unto itself and also a minor miracle. LOL