Electric Revival

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This project dedicated to Barely Awake who's Magic Pie thread was the inspiration for this way cool bike.

My Giant Revive has been hanging from the rafters for years now just gathering dust and providing a home for spiders, bonking me in the head somtimes and just generally being in the way. Thought I would sell it this year and perhaps get half my money back, but I'm glad Barely posted before I posted it on Craigs list.

The 20" pie fits real nice. The deraileur was easy to adjust to the new 6 speed freewheel and all that was needed was some widening of the axle slots.

The brakes needed some adjusting to fit the wider wheel, but seem to work very well.

The new 36 spoke BMX front wheel with the Hookworm next to the stock 28 spoke skinney with the wimpy stock tire.

It all went together pretty easy, nothing rubs and everything works as before. I took it out for a pedal and yes, the drag of the motor is quite noticeable but not impossible.

Pretty cool eh? I'm jazzed!

As I was takeing those last pics, the mail lady stopped by with a box. From China. The battery is here!

Back to work.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
real nice mike! i cannot wait to build my magic pie 3. was going full suspension but getting a trek 3500 mountain bike instead to put it on. full suspension bikes have gone way up in price

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
First glitch.

Connected battery to charger and started charging. Went out to check after an hour and smelled something "burny". One of the parts on the BMS board got so hot it melted through the plastic.

Sent pic to Ping.

According to the forums, they have had some bad BMS boards and send out replacements.

Damn.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Problem solved.

Stupid me did not connect the sense wire connectors together on the battery before using.

Battery charging now, nothing is hot.

I'll need to tape over that hole...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thats good. looking forward to hearing about you first ride! that is one sharp looking ride for sure. very unique. i can't tell by the picture but is that a shock under the seat?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks. I gave the battery a couple of hours on the charger and it's now up to 53 volts. Looks like I didn't damage anything but the plastic wrap.

Yes, there is a shock/spring sorta halfway between the crank and the seat. The whole drivetrain is a swing arm. The pivot is just ahead of the crank.

Now I have to design the battery holder. It's going to be some aluminum angle bolted to the rack with wood end caps and some padding with a couple of straps across the top to hold it down.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am glad to here it is working MikeB. My heart sank with you for a minute. I find these electrics very fascinating and have three different nice high end down hill comp bikes I am looking forward to making electrics among a few good down hill type peddlers well Got to leave those ones old school lol. They should prove to be very smooth Cadillacs on the road.. Just love what this electric combination offers for a full sus bike!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think this is the first Giant Revive I have seen with electric assist. The Magic Pie motor looks right at home on it. Are you going to mount the batterys atop the frame or behind the seat?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This project dedicated to Barely Awake who's Magic Pie thread was the inspiration for this way cool bike.
Defo flattered man, but don't blame me for your sweet setup lol - yer the one that spotted the potential, jus' how perfect it is for an ebike;

I still think it looks made to be so & I agree w/wheelbender6, the 'Pie looks right at home :D

Glad to hear nothing was harmed during your battery mishap other'n some shrink wrap, that would freaked me right out even so... Jus as a FYI - with everything connected & w/the 2a charger there's no perceivable heat generation even when replenishing from a full discharge, even the charger doesn't get warm... tho it's got a honkin' cooling fan just for that lol

Can't wait to hear how ya like it, I'll admit I'd have prolly cheated w/some tie downs jus' to get a test ride in - but I've nothin' but respect for ya wanting to do things the right way ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Here's where I screwed up, I didn't connect these 2 connectors before I charged the battery.

Make sure you connect the connectors - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Got the battery rack done. Fits real nice.

Still have to make the retention bar to go over the top, but that will be easy.

Then I'll do the fast and dirty wiring to test the beast and if all is well, the custom wiring with a junction box.

It's 1.5" angle aluminum with solid red oak endcaps. I have a few hours in it, but gotta keep the clean look of the bike.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
looking good mike. cannot wait to here how it rides and your thoughts on the preformance. i am heading to the states tuesday for 2 weeks and my motor and the trek bike i ordered should be here waiting for me when i get back. gonna call it
Pie Trek - St. Croix: the final frontier. Soon will be posted the voyages of pie trek.
Its mission: to explore the island of St. Croix, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no bike has gone before.
zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Defo lookin' sweet & plenty strong! I was wondern' tho - are ya thinking of some kind of cover with tie down points and/or panniers on the sides? I always find myself strapping some kinda thingamabob in/on/around my poor bike to get it home lol

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All my bikes have baskets - :)

Yup, if you can't go out and run errands with them, what good are they?

Going to be a front basket. Don't know what or how yet, but there is enough weight on the back already.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
OK. Now we wait for the battery to charge some. Not all the way, just enough for a little test ride - :)

Got the power side all wired nice and just wound up the signal wires around the handlebars. Powered up and all the lights were on, probably because the battery is low. Picked the rear wheel off the ground, gave it a little "juice" and the wheel spun smoothly.

I'm jazzed. Gonna wait another hour though and then I'll take a little spin around the neighborhood.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
nice mike i cannot wait to hear how it does. i watch your and barely awakes threads like a hawk waiting for new information and pictures. really apreciate you all shareing everything and i will do the same when i start mine on the 21st (day i get back to island from the states lol)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Woo-hoo! This thing rocks!

Made a batch of salsa and went out for a look. Green light was on the charger and 1 LED was lit on the BMS. Time to ride.

Smooth as silk and just this cool little whine from the motor. My max speed was only 23 downhill and 20 up hill, but the torque is amazing. I think I can hit max speed in like 7 seconds. I stopped at the bottom of the driveway which has a pretty good slope and just a little juice powered me right up.

The regen braking works great! I only have the switch hooked up to the front brake and that's all I really need. A little travel of the handle and there is a slight delay and then a nice strong (but not too strong) braking effect slows you down smoothly.

The 20" wheel accounts for less speed and more torque, but this thing is pleanty fast enough for me. I love it!

The cruise control didn't work, but I really don't care about that feature.

Got off the bike after my 2 mile ride mostly at full throttle and nothing was warm. And it's 86 here today.

I think I have a new favorite bike - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
now that is good news mike. i cannot wait to build mine. i like the idea of no gas smells, quite and no maintnence. got all sorts of ideas on what to do and cannot wait to do them. i magine that set up is very comfortable. looking good!