Electric Drag Bike

GoldenMotor.com

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
This bike is more of a scooter than a bicycle - its using mainly bicycle parts but no pedals. its a project i started a year ago and have gone through a lot of alterations on the frame and the electrics.
Even though im still going through a lot of the learning curve and im sure people can critisize the bike, but i thought i would share its progress with all of you.
Its a 60volt 1000watt brushed motor whos only purpose is to go from point A to point B in a straight line for a 1/8 mile run, 660 feet.
Tonight is the test run at 550 feet and then to the track at Thunder Valley in oklahoma and as a member of NEDRA i hope to get the electric enthusiasm started here...

Attachments

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
please more photo's, it looks great!
& some pics of the timing slips from the track.
waiting to hear the report from the track.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
rode it last night, first ride - i took it easy and pulled 39.9 mph according to my speedometer at 3/4 throttle - it was smooth with no shimmy, so tonight im gonna open it up all the way...

heres a couple more pics from last night...

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Off the hook! Electric bikes and cars are great for drag racing because they produce max torque before building any RPM and endurance is not a necessity.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Hey Thud glad to see you here - i really could use some advice on this project. the 39.9mph isnt on a full 1/8 mile run but at 440 feet, so im hoping with the extra 200 feet i can reach at least mid 40's mph (its the longest straight away in my neighborhood which is a car lot here in oklahoma city - your transmission rocks, still trying to determine the gear ratio for what i need, but thats the next addition to the scooter...

the fellows that broke the NEDRA record is very fascinating...

Team True Cousins did with Silver Giant this past racing season. Electric powered dragbike 48 volt, 50 Hp, 4 motors, 2 gear and lithium batteries. Current 1/8 mile NEDRA record holders in the J/DMC and I/DMC Classes. Constructed by Glenn E. Nielsen and driven by Hans-Henrik Thomsen.

For more information visit True Cousins - Silver Giant and Silver Dwarf - Ducati 888 SPO - Chevy 350 - Microshift

you guys should really check them out...

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Hey Allen,
I have checked those guys out in the past...but I hadn't seen their latest bike....thats a monster on 48v. & they use Lipo batteries also.....$$$ but worth every penny in this application.
I sent you an e-mail with some ideas in it.
I love this project.
I know a guy getting 66mph in the 1/4 mile with a hub motored bike (on 100+ volts of lifepo4) looks like you'll be saving your pennys for some more motors....:) racing is so adictive.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Hey Allen,
I have checked those guys out in the past...but I hadn't seen their latest bike....thats a monster on 48v. & they use Lipo batteries also.....$$$ but worth every penny in this application.
I sent you an e-mail with some ideas in it.
I love this project.
I know a guy getting 66mph in the 1/4 mile with a hub motored bike (on 100+ volts of lifepo4) looks like you'll be saving your pennys for some more motors....:) racing is so adictive.
its worth it to me, but your right it is very addictive, but i wouldnt want it any other way... Thank You Thud...

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
unfortunetly the drag bike failed this weekend, due to NEDRA regulations i have to have an emergency shut down switch which controls the silenoid that controls the 60 volts - i was using "a car starter silenoid" but it fried - i geuss they are for only momentary use, so i ordered a constant duty silenoid from auto zone and it wont be in until this teusday - live an learn i geuss...

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
latest update and a question...

first of all the drag scooter got a new paint job and fairings - no longer unite motor corupted...

i ordered a new kelly controller from kellycontrollers.com but ther web site doesnt seem to be working and they also do seem to reply to any of their contact emails... has any =one else have this problem with them...

this is the controller im after...

KD48300,24-48V,300A,Series -
http://kellycontroller.com/kd4830024-48v300aseries-p-180.html

new photos on its way...