Electric Cargo Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Have been gathering stuff for an E bike build and settled on the idea it should also be practical. The pic shows the very basics, a fresh cheapie $79 MTB for parts like the frame, rear wheel, chain, etc., a Freeradical cargo kit, 26x1.5 free rolling tires, and the common 9 Continents 500w hub motor. Energy comes from a 48v 15ah Li-Ion pack. Am waiting on a NOS rigid CroMo MTB fork to handle the motor. Has fender lugs so mounting a torque arm should be easy. Will build the cargo bike to completion first then convert it to an E bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Nice ! Electric cargo bikes and trikes rule. :)

They really can replace a car. :)
I agree! This build will get pressed into service hauling yard equipment to my rental house some 4miles distant. Should easily haul a gas blower, a rake, trash can for leaves, a ladder, misc. hand tools, and tow a push mower tilted up on two wheels behind. I normally would have to hitch the trailer to my Honda Fit to get it all there a real PITA.

Heres a pic of the completed long tail conversion. Was quick and easy to do. every thing fit perfectly. Rides really well. I find it quite rigid. I added a 1/4" piece of steel to back up the forward mount. This really should be added to the kit as with out it, the forward mount depends on the flimsy kick stand bracket which is pretty flexy. The added part allows the mount to clamp firmly to the lower frame tubes.

Will add the cargo carrying parts after the E conversion.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the MTB front fork yesterday. Turns out its chrome CroMo. Will fit the hub wheel to the fork then the fork to the bike, have to cut the threads. Will use the very substantial double "D" hole washers supplied with the motor and weld a tab to them to attach to the fender mount lugs on both sides for torque control.
Been riding the bike and have to say I really like it. If it never carries a thing its extended wheel base greatly improves the ride. Its fairly graceful in its handling, and cuts a good corner.
That's my home built battery in the back ground. Forgot I had to add the balance wiring before I taped it up. Now have the task of unwinding about 40' of duct tape!!

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well heres the basic E bike conversion in all its rather strange glory. I knew MTB tires were draggy, but what a difference the smoothie 1.5 Kendas make, glides right along even with the small drag of the motor. Will paint the front wheel to match the back. So far so good!

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Very nice, I'm following this build with interest. :)
Thanks IWW! Should receive my "store bought" battery today. Am waiting on the "flight deck" as the board that mounts to the top of the upright rails is called. Am hoping to be able to add a mount for the battery forward of this board in the dead space behind the seat, keeping the cargo area clear. Remains to be seen. Bought a set of Planet Bike full fenders also. Rode this bike on my 10mi daily ride circuit to shake it out. Only thing I had to do was tighten and retrue the front wheel. The spokes squeeked the whole way. Rides better than my 700c fixie. Need to go to the fuel station to get fuel for my boat. Wish I had the horizontal cargo bars(in transit) to carry the 2) 5 gal. cans!

Heres a link into the history of this system, its a long vid but interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWMd6yyYs8E

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Glad you enjoyed the vid IWW! The bike is nearing completion, tested the systems yesterday, and the rest of the cargo parts also arrived, nicely made stuff. Fabbed a battery tray that fits on the unused original rear brake posts. I cut them off, drilled and tapped the remaining bosses to accept mounting bolts. So the battery and speed control fit nicely in the dead space between the bikes frame and the long tail. Just a matter of small details when time allows that I can get back on it.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
Cool project!
How do you like the handling of the extended wheelbase for higher than pedaling speeds?
Got my wheels turning again...
-Low-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
CB2,
Cool project!
How do you like the handling of the extended wheelbase for higher than pedaling speeds?
Got my wheels turning again...
-Low-
Hey LR. So far I only have pedal time on the bike, but quite a bit at that. I love the long tails handling and ride. Basically quit riding my 700 fixie which Im very fond of. Hope to have the bike completed by Saturday. So far all I have done is assemble the components for a static system test. Max speed may approach 30mph, well below the esoteric zone you usually cruise in.

What do you have in mind?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
OK, got a an unexpected break to work on the e bike today. Its up and running except for a few small details like a speedo, painting the battery tray black, and the volt/ammeter. All can say is damn cool!! Ran the homebuilt battery pack for several miles being easy on the throttle since I have no idea of amount of draw I was using. Ive ridden enough MBs to gauge speed pretty well and light throttle was easily 15/20mph. The coolest part was throwing the gearing on the bike into its highest gear(21) and using the motor for assist. Pedaling like heck with some assist was surely approaching 30 maybe a bit more. Will get my Garmin on it the next ride.

The pics show the roughly finished build. I haven't weighed it but its fairly light for what it is. I can easily flip the bike with the battery installed on to the seat and bars to work on it. The battery and speed control fit nicely, the speed control is mounted in free air under the battery tray. Cant imagine running one in those bags they send for it with the kit! The tray is built dimensionally for the battery I bought but the homebuilt fits well also. Naturally the wheel was on backwards even though I installed it as in the instructions pic. Have been reversing brushless rotation for years by swapping wires cant do it on these as there is obviously a free wheel in the hub. Lesson learned.

Lowracer to answer your question on handling, its fantastic, at least at the speed range I live in.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
Not trying to jack your thread but when you asked me what I had in mind, I had to draw a few pics for thought.
I found another cromo frame (Giant) this morning being thrown away, so I threw it into my trunk & may need to do something with it...lol
Here are a few pics of what I was thinking.
Two bike frames
attaching a short bmx fork to the cantilever bosses (pic1)
or attaching the headtube to the seattube and also secure it at canti bosses & or lower (pic2)
or flipping the rear frame to have the bottom bracket up top? (pic3)
What do you think of the homegrown long wheelbase?
I've recently become fond of running two freewheels on one rear wheel (human power & engine power don't drag eachother).
I found a source for a 3 speed freewheel the same width as a std sized freewheel for three engine powered gears.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Your not jacking the thread, always interested in what kinda craziness you are up to next! The third drawing using the BB is the generally accepted method to build a 2 frame long tail. Basically just using the rear triangle, and a support bar to the seat post. I would think a rear section from a suspension bike could be used also. There are plans if you google them, but with you building capabilities Im sure you don't need them. The long tail is a really nice ride, plus has all kinds of practical capabilities. FYI the kit on my bike sets the rear wheel bike 15".

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Mounted the Garmin to the bike for a speed run. Was pleased to find the bikes top speed is 29mph on a fresh battery, but as the charge voltage drops so does the speed to a solid 25 top. It cruises nicely at 20 or so. Assisting is fun especially when passing by people. They don't realize its an e bike so I look like some super biker pedaling by. The only negative in the build is its a little under braked at top speed, no engine braking to help out. All the riding was done on my homebuilt battery, Havent tried the 48v/15ah "store bought" yet.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
Your electric bike is very neat.
I have never gone over to the 'E' side of things but who knows?
I cleaned up that frame I found & started messinga round with it.
Here area few mock ups using '2High' as a reference, just imagine there is no bike up top in these pics & imagine there is no middle wheel...
I think mounting a shorty fork to the rear canti bosses makes the bike too long.
I like either mounting the rear bikes fork to the front bikes bottom bracket and/or mounting the rear bikes headtube directly onto the front bikes seattube (with a shim) and secured to not swivel.
Instead of '2High' it would be called '2Long'...lol
Cheers,
-Low-

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You have got some good ideas going. Gonna make a long bike. Take a look at the Dutch cargo bikes where you sit in the back with the cargo in front and steer via a rod linkage, kinda cool! I could see a similar build if I am viewing your third pic correctly.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
...I see what you saw...
My thinking when mocking those pics was no middle wheel (not a front loader).
I like riding '2High' enough & now thinking maybe just improve upon it with a longer wheelbase, better seat placement for weight distribution & full suspension.
Hmmmmm. too many ideas, not enough room...lol
Did you see the new Xtracycle bike with the 20" rear wheel & 26" front designed in part by Sam Whittingham (holds the human powered speed record in a streamliner over 80 mph). Saw a few youtube videos of the interview & product release...very impressive!
-Low-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
CB2,
You know what?, I haven't thought about that yet...lol
I finally took the plunge today & disassembled the scooter to pilage its rear shock & swingarm & front dual crown suspension fork although I may use the single crown Marzocchi Bomber I recently removed from my MTB (went rigid).
The bottom bracket bolted right up to the rear dropouts & the brake posts will be the mounting point for the shock. In the 2nd pic, the rear aluminum struts are to the far rear just holding things up, but once the shock tower is mounted, I'm mounting them to the rear rack eyelets on the green bikes dropouts like in pic4.
I'll begin adding new pics & posts to the Tall Bike thread I got instead of jacking your thread.
I appreciate what you do CB2, always giving me ideas...
This will be '2High2Long2Plush'...lol
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited: