Electric 2

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

Yeah, it fits pretty good. That's why it took so long. After I made the frame I literally built it on the bike fitting everything, bending here and there, clamping, levelling spacing off wheel and drilling.

Gotta protect the $700 battery - :)

With the Revive all I had to do was add to the existing rack, it was a lot easier.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Gotta get busy now.

Bike shop laced up the old 28"er to 700C. Heavy duty double wall rim. And I bought the Sapim 14g SS spokes.

He crossed it too. I gots me a custom MP3 cross spoke wheel - :)

I also got a GM factory MP3 700C wheel in reserve. Just in case.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Pie On

And looking good.

Went on really easy, didn't have to modify the slots at all. Did have to shove it pretty hard though, it is a nice tight fit. Love them disc brakes! The disc is actually better aligned with the Pie than the original wheel.

The drive side is cool too, but I have a little offset problem. Even using 2 spacer washers on the freewheel and 3mm chainring spacers. Ordered up some 5 mm spacers and that should get the offset down to 1.3mm. Close enough.

Pedals great! Not as good as before w/o the pie, but a lot better than the Revive. I think the MP3 has less drag than the MP2.

Back to work, still have lots to do - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
ya mine pedals really easy mike. it surprised me. looks nice thats for sure. i look forward to every time i get to ride

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Details

On to the details.

Added a strut to the batt rack, batt is more stable now.

I just love this bike!

The details will probably take as long as all of this.

Details, details.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

It's really getting under my skin. I get a big smile from just pedalling.

A sorta BMX-MB-Cruiser combo thing.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The big stainless steel box is a 48V, 20AH, Li-Fe-PO4 assembly from Golden Motor.

Worked on the details yesterday. Cut some metal, drilled some holes and now going to scrap it all.

A whole new plan came to me after I slept on it.

vsavoldi

Jul 24, 2012
Monterey Bay California
lol I really hate when that happens, usually the end result is much better so it's easier to validate the wasted time going down the unused path.

and btw, sweet setup!! After I finish my trike, I'm thinking of doing a custom ultra low rider bike, I really want to practice on my welding skills and see if I can come up with something truly unique yet still ride able.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i wake up every morning with new ideas lol. i think it is part of the obsession with motorized bicycles. electric or gas

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It happens to me all the time. I sit there and design stuff and the thought process gets started, but it takes a good sleep and then my subconsious solves the problem for me.

I would really like the weight to be lower. If I ever do another of these, the battery is going in the frame and be covered by some cool looking panels.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
what i hate is when i work on something all day and make it difficult as heck and wake up in the morning thinking duh. i could have done this a whole lot easier and faster this way.
i am thinking of making a mount using the water bottle things so battery sits just behind the front tire twords the bottom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'll give ya the before and after. I have already made some of the "before" parts too.

Before
Tie wrap batt connector to seat rails
Mount switch to batt rack
Mount terminal block to bike frame with bracket

After
Remove handle from batt box and screw batt connector to top of box.
Mount switch and terminal block to batt rack
Simple & elegant

Stupid me was trying to save removing the rack one more time. And mounting that big connector to the top of the battery where that handle is was sheer genius.

Sometimes it pays to work slow - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Got the power side done.

And went for the first ride! This thing flies - :) Don't know how fast it was going, but I'll take the GPS next time and we'll know for sure. I can tell you that I don't want to go any faster. Had to be 30 on the little downhill.

This is better than MP2. Better performance, less noise. Regen braking works the same.

Next I got the basket and lights to put on, a bracket to make for the control cable and other little bits like the speedo and stuff.

This has plenty of power for 29" wheels. I measured the big apple and it is about 29.25, so 29 even if you are on the bike.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
After looking around for a while I finally found the etrek, but it was too dark to go. Hopefully today after work. I don't know how fast I was going, but it was fast enough that the wind blowing through the helmet was actually chilling my head.

That doesn't happen at 20 - :)