Early european bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! that is awesome. You sure do nice work,love your ideas and detail...........Curt

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
What an amazing bike build! I am very deeply impressed with how much it looks like a 1920's British/European lightweight motorcycle.

Now I'm feeling sorely tempted to do something similar with my prewar gents Phillips bicycle; - must resist....the temptation....must resist.....

Edit: After looking over the photos I'm absolutely delighted by all the little details. The half worn away registration number on the front mudguard is a wonderful touch. I've also just noticed the mods to the bike frame so I wouldn't use my prewar Phillips as a basis afterall if I did something similar. (old bicycle enthusiasts worldwide put away their pitchforks, put out their burning torches and disperse muttering under their breath) I actually have a damaged Raleigh frame which would be a better choice with permanent frame mods being involved.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Use your prewar gentleman's Phillips frame??? I see seething hordes at your front door much like the peasants at the gates of the castle in the original Frankenstein movie complete with torches and pitch forks, demanding you be cast out to face retribution. :)

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
JohnySlade,

An absolutely wonderful build and a most interesting place to photograph it as well. Thank you for sharing it with us. I, for one, will be interested to see how you top this bike.

Steve.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Your bike is already amazing, and your next bike will be better?
This thread I have to subscribe to!
I also really like your attention to detail. The headlight is awesome. The brass air pump atop the fuel tank is a nice touch. The dark patina of the metal work against the white tires is a great look. The olde tyme handlebars and seat are perfect.

Thank you for sharing these pics!

JohnySlade

Jan 2, 2014
Poland
Thanks guys I'm glad that you like my bike. It's made from different parts what i found in the junkyard or i had in my little workshop. Frame's made from the two different bikes- german lady probably 40s ,and russian gents from 70s (what a delightful combination) i had to many wheels so they probably come from Polish bike, the head lamp is made from wooden vodka bottle : D handlebars are made from cork board and brass pipe. (In some photos you might see spring chain tensioner it's not actually mounted) @Intrepid Wheelwoman you must beware, but i'm vintage bicycle enthusiast ;)
More details

That's how i hidden the original ugly chain tensioner (I saw similar idea in vintage motorcycles photos)

Gutter pipe tank :D and clutch lever

headlamp

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice! Glad to see someone doing a bike of this style and Era you have some Impressive thing's going with this bike and some ingenuous imprevisions as well.
NICE!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Don't worry JohnySlade my prewar Phillips is quite safe and I have absolutely no intention of taking a hacksaw anywhere near its lovely frame. I'm an old bicycle enthusiast too :)

Thank you for posting the latest pictures. The more I look at the photos the more really nice details I see. It's good to see such a refreshingly different bike based on the era of early European motorcycling and one that goes well beyond merely bolting a Chinese engine onto a bicycle frame.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm generally not a huge fan of that style, but you have made me rethink my attitudes!
Very nice build!

johnsi12

May 12, 2014
Bristol,England
Dzien dobry.

Massively impressed! I`m trying to do a build in a similar style and if it ends up half as good I will be pleased. I love the patina.
I have a couple of questions if you don`t mind; I have a similar throttle ( from a lawn mower) and I wonder if you have a return spring set up on it? Also what did you make the tank from? Finally what is the tube on top of the top rail, some kind of oiler?
I looked at your other bikes on flickr, they are beautiful, if you own them all still you must have the same storage problems as I do, unless you live in the house on flickr, in which case I should imagine its not a problem :)

cheers Simon

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You've hit on something which could help a lot of people make headlamp bodies to suit themselves. Wood, turned on a lathe, sealed and filled,like the "wooden vodka bottle".

That's a brilliant idea.