E-Bike Specifcations...

GoldenMotor.com

sikkarius

Feb 7, 2011
Nebraska
Motorized E-Bike
This is a post about the Ebike, I'm going to build, I have alot of questions and could really use your help.
Purpose:
Design & build ebike for viable transportation means in non-winter environment semi-urban environments. Capable of goods delivery function in limited area & single passenger carry. Bike will be battery powered and pedal/motor driven through linked actuator. Maintain sub motorcycle class designation by state law (cannot exceed 50cc, must be pedal driven as well).

Questions?

1) Pedal/Motor Synergy? What is best way (street driving)? Friction drive, front wheel pedal back wheel/back wheel motor, awd with actuator...suggestions?
2) Knowing this, what is a good electric motor kit, that rigs with a common mountain bike type?
3) Disc/Power brakes, I am looking for something to make this as possible.
4) Where to begin...where do I begin in this venture to create what I have described above?
5) Cost range: Under $1000, is this feasible?

Specifications
1) Pedal Driven /or/ Assisted
2) 30 mph capable
3) Up to 140 lbs of weight on rear side capable.
4) Battery powered
5) Plug-In In For GPS
6) Rain Resistant (To Protect Motor & GPS; Windscreen & Plastic bag for GPS?)
7) Lock & Key Control

Requirements

1) Mountain Bike Frame (Comfortable Distribution)
2) Wider Tires For Handling & Stability
3) Central Motor Placement
4) Electric Motor (Not Greater than 50cc) (Rear Wheel)
5) Battery With Juice Monitor (Up to 8 hours of riding)
6) Actuator Set-Up With Pedals
7) Water Resistance (For Rain Riding)
8) Power-brakes
9) Motor Gear Shifter.
10) Night lights.
11) Lightest Build Possible
12) Rear Luggage / Or / Seat Mount, Accommodation.
13) Lock Box on Luggage.

Expansions

1) De/Attachable Rear Seat Mount
2) Fake Gas Can Stash for personal items.
3) Bicycle Body Bag with lock. (To be Stored in Luggae)
4) Guard on Engine to prevent theft.

kingofgreens

Feb 9, 2011
planet Earth
I'm new here & planning on doing a gasoline engine build , but I have had a pretty sweet Ebike in the past.

I used an 06 Mongoose Wing Elite platform
( I wished afterward I'd used something much lighter. The suspention didn't really come into play for the light urban assult I used it for.)

I'd highly suggest a brushless hub motor. They completely free wheel when not in use & are much more efficient than other types of electric bike motors.

What is really going to be the lion's share of the cost is your battery. I had a 60 volt 15amp hour LiFeP04 rated for 40 amp discharge + a 40 amp Crystalyte digital controller unit.

The whole build cost me about 2100 but this was 4 years ago & the prices have dropped on most of that equipment quite a bit.

It was quite a sweet unit. Over 40 mph with my 220 lb fat but on it & had torque to spare. It of course wouldn't do a smoky burnout or get the front wheel off the ground , but it pulled quite nicely & had great throttle response.

I gave it to my daughter when she went to collage & she uses it every day.

Crystalyte products are pricy , but they are the gold standard for Ebike components. Look for them & you can't go wrong.