Drill start?

GoldenMotor.com

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Picked up a bike and it has a shift kit on it. Some parts are missing though so I can't start up the engine. I noticed on the magneto there is a nut and if you turn it with a ratchet the piston moves. What if I hooked up a drill to it and tried to start the engine? Would it be ok and not destroy anything?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I would NOT do that.

Never know when you're gonna encounter cheap metal, except you can expect it anywhere!

Why twist off a thread ? or take the chance of doing it ?

Patience...
It's one a them virtue kinda things...
:)

just wait til you get the right parts... IMO

Best
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto: If the engine fires and the socket jambs on that nut you could hurt yourself at worst, damage something at least. That's asking for trouble.

You can use your method if the spark plug is removed to spin the engine (crankshaft) but don't do that too long because of the lack of lubrication.

Tom

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
i woulndt try it moment the motor fires that drill will twist off your arm and have no mercy.. you need a one way bearing starter nut.. grabs one way but freewheels.. they dont make them.. not worth it

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
i know the motor cycle racers do that but i think they have a 1 way bearing and like was already stated it may fling it around. i wouldn't recommend it.

-Ben