Does your city have actual gas motor on bicycle laws?

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
It is not against the law, nor are there any regulations about fly fishing off of a ladder in the middle of a stream. That's because there are no laws or regulations regarding fishing off of a ladder. There are laws about hunting from a vehicle, but a ladder is not a vehicle. A fire truck is a vehicle WITH a ladder, but a ladder isn't a fire truck, even if you put wheels and a motor on that ladder.

I say this, because people assume that they are riding mopeds when they are riding motor assisted bicycles. When I'm in a hairy situation, I hit the pedals, not the throttle. Why? Because that's where the POWER is. It's a bicycle with a motor, NOT a motorcycle with pedals (which is what a Moped is). A moped has a VIN and CAN be registered and insured as a motorcycle if you would choose, and there are regulations requiring it in many places.

Motorized bicycles are like ladders in a stream of bicyclists. Though other people may not like it, there's nothing wrong with it unless there comes to be ACTUAL laws and regulations specifically focused on bicycles with motors attached to them.

(I posted the majority of that in my response on another forum, but figured that it in itself is a great topic).

Does your city have actual gas motor on bicycle laws?

Here is MY cities exact municipal code regarding gas motors on bicycles.

Nampa, ID. Definition of "Bicycle"
6-5-1: DEFINITION:

The term "bicycle" is defined as a vehicle consisting of a tubular metal frame mounted on two (2) large, wire spoked wheels, one behind the other, and equipped with handlebars and a saddlelike seat. It is propelled by foot pedals or, sometimes, by a small gasoline motor. (Ord. 2362; amd. Ord. 2716)
As you can see, it is not only a great example of what motorized bike laws/regulations SHOULD be, but also what a motorized bike law/regulation IS. There is no mention of VEHICLE things, like VINs, licensing, registration. There is no mention of motorcycles, motorbikes, MOPEDS etc - because a motor on a bicycle is, well, a motor on a bicycle.

Please note - this is about gas motors, not electric motors. There is plenty of laws on electric driven bikes that are all the same thing, and if not the same thing, they're essentially the same thing. So lets stick to gas.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yes Sir, Legalese can be too specific, or too vague. I'm in a grey area at the moment. But it would be nice to know one way or another, so I can sell bikes to other people.

Am I more dangerous than some distracted blonde in a BMW on her cell? Answer me that, congress...

TerryO

Aug 30, 2011
Seattle,WA.
Is there anyone here that knows what the laws are in Washington State? I just joined a few minutes ago and haven't had a chance to check it out.

Thanks,
TerryO

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
If I were you I would use the search function at the top of the page.

I'm trying to keep this thread limited to motorized bike (specifically) laws, and not "moped" laws, which is what most states view motorized bikes as.

If you can't find anything using the search feature, use google and look for municipal code for the county and city you're in, and search the washington state code for anything about mopeds.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
i would also like to know the motor bike laws in the state of Washington. i have spent countless hours trying to reaserch on the internet and failed to find anything relevent. i have not been hasseled by the police here in Port Angeles (i obey all traffic laws and wear a helmet) but the way cops a staters are around here i know it will eventually happen. And boy would it be great when they do that iwould have a printed copy in my wallet that what i am doing is legal. it would save alot of time and hassle. So if anyone knows where to look or has the info , PLEASE RESPOND your help would be highly appreciated. Thank You.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
how is someone suppose to help you if you don't read?
they said :

1. this thread is for a different purpose
2. use the search box @ the top.

i used the search & got this.
https://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-4891450144518230%3A98tkao-ttqv&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=washington&sa=Search&siteurl=motorbicycling.com%2F

first result was
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/washington-state-motorized-bike-laws-7643.html

in that thread first page
n WA state, buy and ride a "49cc". No need to register.
sorry to mods & admin but some people ask for directions. you draw them a map then they decide you should do the work instead.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Washington does not have any gas motor on bicycle laws (which is the topic of this thread).

That means you are free and clear. There are no laws preventing you from riding, there are no laws regulating your riding.

Laws are there to REGULATE and BAN. If it is not listed in the law, then there is no law.

Is it legal for me to eat ice cream in a convertible on Friday? Of course. Is there a law on it? No. There doesn't have to be a law that tells you what IS legal, but for something to be ILLEGAL there will be a law on it.

This thread is for other people to share the laws that are in effect that relate specifically to gas motors on bicycles. Please don't request for people to look up your state's laws, you can do that yourself looking at municipal code online for your city and county, and every state has their code online where you can search. And - moped law does not apply to motorized bicyclists. No matter how much you want it to.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I did try to look at all municipal codes and laws concerning motorbikes and came up with nothing. Well now i know why i came up with nothing- there is nothing then in Washington. Ive read i think all the threads on it. it just felt like i was missing something. Well i guess im about informed as i can get.
Thanks

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Here in Tuscaloosa alabama, on the interstate Ive seen a sign a city ordinance saying no "motorized driven pedestrian cycles".

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Here in Tuscaloosa alabama, on the interstate Ive seen a sign a city ordinance saying no "motorized driven pedestrian cycles".
That's just about EVERY interstate that I'm know of. Been on different interstates in at least 40 states.

Here in Alabama we do have laws (if that's what you call them) concerning MOTORIZED BICYCLES.
1. 15 or older
2. Have helmet law
3. 150cc or less (over..Motorcycle endorsement)
4. Obey road rules.
5. Lights if riding at night.
6. No drivers license
7. No registration
8. No tag
9. No insurance.

I think I can live with that......lol

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Very nice - Al! I'm not much a fan of helmet laws (I support using helmets, but I also support the choice to wear one), but it definitely makes sense when the CC limit is 150!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
We ride in northeastern IL. There are several road with signs that say no motor bicycles. Or some wording like that (i'll get photo asap).
Once when I was stoped a local cop informed me that if a city in IL. Has any vec. Restrictions they have to be posted at the edge of town?? Theres no signs leaving town and the restrictions are only on the section of this road that has a 55 mph limit. So i think thats how they decide if your allowed on an MB ?
It is kinda strange haveing to go around that part of the road but I dont wana ride next to people doing 55 anyway.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There was something similar proposed for onstreet ATV regulation. You were required to get registration and you couldn't be on roads that had speed limits over 35mph. Unfortunately, that didn't make it into legislation - woulda been a cool one for Idaho.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Very nice - Al! I'm not much a fan of helmet laws (I support using helmets, but I also support the choice to wear one), but it definitely makes sense when the CC limit is 150!
I'm not a fan either, but support using helmets. I don't feel that one should have a choice unless they carry high hospital coverage. Why should John Taxpayer foot the bill for someone under insured. It's not like automobile insurance, when paying a premium will take food off the table (that's why I protect myself from them). It doesn't cost to wear it, so why not. I have good insurance, life, hospital, homeowner, automobile, and wouldn't be a hinder to the taxpayers. How many out there (especially in these economic times) are there. Heck we have members that don't work, part time work, no drivers license, or just flat broke (look and see how many want the cheapest engine), I sure don't want my money spent on a Darwin candidate. Don't like then, I don't b$$ch, it's the law here, so why give the police another reason to get pulled over?

Last edited:

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas
It is not against the law, nor are there any regulations about fly fishing off of a ladder in the middle of a stream. That's because there are no laws or regulations regarding fishing off of a ladder.
Ladder fishing.jpg

Ladder fishing

Had to share....read that and tought of ladder fishing, and started laughing again. I hope others find it funny also.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
LOL that's seriously awesome. I was honestly hoping to use a random thing to describe lacks of laws, but I guess it's not as original as I had thought.

Hopefully someone doesn't post a link to a ladder with a motor and wheels though - that could be very dangerous... :p

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
First Goat, let me say I 100% agree with you on the laws. There is nothing that specifically talks about motorized bicycles. In fact there is no legal definition of a motorized bicycle or any variation of the term anywhere in the Idaho code, city codes not included.

However, what stops police from saying our bikes fall under the Moped statute? Most people thoughts are "if it exist, there is a law/regulation pertaining to it."

In fact, the Idaho Transportation Dept puts out a nice little chart that outlines motorized vehicles in general Here. You have the choice of a moped, a motor driven cycle if you want to claim FMVSS, or a motorbike.

How do you go about convincing a cop that it isn't a motorcycle/moped/pedacycle(what a cop called it once)?

The Idaho code actually defines a bicycle as;
49-103. DEFINITIONS -- B. (1) "Bicycle" means every vehicle propelled exclusively by human power upon which any person may ride, having two (2) tandem wheels, and except scooters and similar devices.

can't remember is state laws trump city code or other way around.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
That's why city law/municipal code is so awesome, it trumps state law. Just as how a state law can trump federal law.

Municipal law is very often times overlooked, when in fact - it should be the first thing you read cover to cover if you ever move to a different city, or if you just have never looked it up for where you live.

Oftentimes, municipal code is written to reflect the state's law, but that's also due to how fine money is dispersed, and if that money goes to the city, state, etc etc.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Think we need to do more research on city trumping state law. From what I am reading, it's the other way around.

City ordinance can make a state law tougher, at least that is what I am seeing.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
A common example is marijuana for medical purpose in California - a great example of state law trumping federal law.

The biggest thing is that motorized bicycling is kind of new ground - mopeds come complete with VIN and MCO, while a bicycle is and always will be a bicycle. The exception being when you get a state issued VIN, but either way then, it's a motorcycle, whether you want it to be a moped or not.

What I'm researching now is insurance across state lines, and how I should only need proof my residence is in Nampa and how I should be able to travel through a place with insurance laws on motorized bicycles.