Do you ride your boardtracker ?

GoldenMotor.com

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I have a pretty good concept going on for a boardtracker . I am just going to use a plain grubee .
I,m going to keep the motor ( small looking ) and quiet as i can get it .

The real target of my question is not so much for the ( flip the bars and call it a boardtracker )
But more for the full blown replica looking bikes with iether BIG motors ... or BIG LOOKING motors .
A lot of these are also running , loud , short , open pipes .

SO .. my questions .. do you ever really get to ride the bike ? Where do you get to ride it ?
Or did you build it for the sake of the build ? Is it just to bring to shows ?
Because truthfully i can't see riding one in my town without getting hassled by the cops .
Not with a big looking motor and open pipe anyways . Not without some kind of registration and a plate .

so .. How much do you actually get to ride your boardtracker ?

I'm just curious .

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
How much do you actually get to ride your boardtracker ?
Hold on a second, let me shut my engine down. There, that's better. Damn thing is loud! Seriously, though, I ride mine alot. Rode it last night. I find I can control the noise factor with the throttle so when I pass by my neighbors I lay off the throttle and try to be quite. I also live at the edge of town with some decent country roads so I don't get bothered. I also don't go looking for trouble in high congestion areas like the middle of town. My bigger bikes are definately outside the legal limits so I try to keep things as low profile as possible.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I ride mine some. Its a very heavy beast and MURDER to peddle. I'll be riding it a lot more once I switch to the 4 stroke. I have plans for keeping mine realitivly quiet. Also limiting my riding is, its not final painted / powdercoated yet; mostly bare steel; so if even if puddles from lawn sprinklers are in the streets I lay off the rideage.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Velodrome, I run my two main builds bare metal just so I can easily make changes without screwing up the paint. I keep the finish up with a scotch brite pad, then wipe it all down with WD40.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hate to say this but I think they are ileagle in Canada. Only electric are aloud. Not sure about Ontario,but most orthers are ileagle. So takeing them out in public would just be asking for a ticket. We can ride ours anywere if its legal 50cc and under 2 hp. But now have to wait untill spring or a warm day............Curt

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Sportscarpat : Velodrome : Thanks for the input .
Its good answers like that that help people decide whether or not to dive into a project .
curtisfox : so far so lucky . seems as long as your wearing a helmet and not being stupid , the heat kinda turns a blind eye . You can probably understand what i mean about the big looking noisy bikes though .

I like building things . I'll build the bike regardless . To me , even if i can only blast around the block once in a while , its still worth it .....

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I used to ride my 200cc clone to work at least 3 time per week in the city during the summer, and that bike had a straight pipe that was only about 6inches long. I only got hassled twice in the 6months that I had the bike and the cops thought the bike was too cool and just let me go.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I plan on riding my new BT bike to work all the time, should not de an issue. The question is do I keep it sounding like a lawn mower or go with the open exhast. I tend to like the open exhaust.

Ya can't beat the weather in L.A. Tho

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I rode mine all the time for months, saw many policemen who just saw my bike an smiled, one even gave me the thumbs up...... but ive been pulled over three times in the last few rides (and all those times were actually out of populated areas) and while i was let go with a warning (they actually liked my bike a lot) but said it would be a lot different the next time ;-(

And seeing as internal combustion are illegal in Australia im making the switch to electric, so i can get my regular riding fix without fear of confiscation

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am with you I would have to ride and build even if it was ileagle. So much fun just building. Maybe go to a bigger pipe the bigger the pipe the deeper the tone. It will get rid of the sharpness that the smaller pipe has. Even better yet run a Y and make duells that gives it a real neet sound. My son did that on a 6.5 honda clone in a wagon realy sounds KOOOOOL.....................Curt

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I ride mine to work almost every day. 20 mi pluss rides all the time. I put just over 3000 on it so far this year. My engine runs like a top.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I ride the Indian clone every weekend it doesn't rain in the winter and almost every day in the summer. It's my favorite form of therapy. Ever notice there is never a motorbike or motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office? Hmmmm. I love to build things.

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
I ride mine frequently. Mostly for theraputic reasons. Even when it was a lawnmower, it was one of the least noisy mowers I have heard. I have not yet been hassled by the MAN on it.

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
I take mine all over the country on the back of my Semi and ride it whenever I'm stopped.
It's legal as a motor assisted bicycle(you can look up the laws online) and I've got lights too...
Wisconsin

Iowa

Texas

South Dakota