disablied and needing some advice WI

GoldenMotor.com

Mrbikerboy

Jun 24, 2013
wausau wi
disabled and needing some advice WI

alright guys here is my deal and i know there are some threads but im looking for something cut and dry here because I need to do something

I am 23 years old and live near wausau wi. i have a visual impairment and bike everywhere i go I can not get a drivers license as my best corrected vision is 20/120. I bike everywhere i go buy am limited to about 25 miles round trip.

some times i ride in the road for turns and such or when there are no sidewalks (still using a peddle bike) i obay the rules of the road and can see tragic lights and cars clearly (as stated i bike all over)

I need something that isn't going to kill me when going shopping or to see my girlfriend and motorbikes have always kinda been on my hobby to do list.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION

am i going to go to jail/get a ticket for riding a moterbike in WI? i understand no more sidewalks and trails but thats ok. just looking for some straight forward advise.

seen a boy the other day and he was like "go for it as long as you aren't being stupid i don't think you'll have a problem" as much as i really want to listen to this mans advice i don't want to start any trouble.

so can you guys help me out at all?

Thanks a bunch in advance, keith

brnotusflg

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a couple of suggestions. First, I would go electric with something straightforward like a magic pie. It is silent and unless you are in the know, it does not look like a motored bike. Also, you can kind of ghost pedal along so that it looks like you are what is propelling the bike forward.

Something else to consider is that a gas motor is noisy and I suspect that you rely to some degree on your hearing to be safe while bike riding. The electric will allow you to do that. I also am guessing that your chances of getting a restricted driver's license would improve with an electric bike.

Good luck to you and stay safe above all else.
SB

Mrbikerboy

Jun 24, 2013
wausau wi
I have a couple of suggestions. First, I would go electric with something straightforward like a magic pie. It is silent and unless you are in the know, it does not look like a motored bike. Also, you can kind of ghost pedal along so that it looks like you are what is propelling the bike forward.

Something else to consider is that a gas motor is noisy and I suspect that you rely to some degree on your hearing to be safe while bike riding. The electric will allow you to do that. I also am guessing that your chances of getting a restricted driver's license would improve with an electric bike.

Good luck to you and stay safe above all else.
SB

thanks you are right i do rely on hearing for what is behind me some what. i like the idea of electric moters but have no idea where to start wtih one and am unsure of the ranges they offer

i just wish these things weren't so restricted because i can not use public transportation (not much in my area) and walking/peddling is taking a tole on my knees

can you offer anything on the electric motors?

thanks

Mrbikerboy

Jun 24, 2013
wausau wi
holy crap just did some poking around on here and seen some of them things are up and over a grand... that's not even near possible for me.

i need to go about 40 miles range at about 20 to 25mph top out with a cost of less than 300 bucks

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

The great thing about eBikes is that a drivers license is not required anywhere
and they are usually allowed to go 20 mph but because they are pretty much
invisible I highly doubt if anyone cares if you go faster.

So why do you need to ghost pedal except that you really do need to pedal
to extend your batteries limited range?

If the OP's eyesight is so bad that he can't see cars coming up behind him
in a mirror he would be living very dangerously no matter what he is riding
including a bicycle.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was not aware of what the laws are in Wisconsin, so didn't know about the legality of him riding an ebike if he has no drivers license. If it is okay then there's no need to ghost pedal and be "invisible". Since the OP relies to some degree on hearing what is behind him I think a gas bike is a bad idea.
SB

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I just spent some time reading wdot info and i cant find anything that says one needs a dl to ride motor bicycle? In there deff section it reads...

340.01(30) (30) "Motor bicycle" means a bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.

In il they dont say no dl in the law ,its in the police info booklett ? Just wondering were its stated...?

Mrbikerboy

Jun 24, 2013
wausau wi
The great thing about eBikes is that a drivers license is not required anywhere
and they are usually allowed to go 20 mph but because they are pretty much
invisible I highly doubt if anyone cares if you go faster.

So why do you need to ghost pedal except that you really do need to pedal
to extend your batteries limited range?

If the OP's eyesight is so bad that he can't see cars coming up behind him
in a mirror he would be living very dangerously no matter what he is riding
including a bicycle.
I can see cars in a mirror but i always look behind me to make sure. (when turning that is) i never ride durring rush hour or anyhting and never ride in the rain and if i am not comfortable in my surroundings then i stop and replan

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
In my exp. its not what you ride ,it's how you ride that gets people stoped??
Sounds like you will ride smart.
I hate to bring this up at this point but (again inho) the elec bikes are a wast of money and time . The several that ive worked on and riden over the years ,all lacked power to the point of being useless and batt life is short and need daily mont. if you want a grab and go bike.
If one is comuteing five or six miles round trip then fine ,twenty five doughtfull!
I feel like the stock muffler on a two stroke makes very little noise ( to the point were people dont even realise its there) and would be fine if unaltered.
All that negative jazz outa my system, I would be glad to help you get rolling any way I can ,with build advice ,parts fab or whatever . If you wana ride your in the right place to get the help you need .
I ride in the great state of wisconsin all the time ,truley GODs country ! I hope you get a chance to see it from a two wheeler the way i do.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
the prussian Shop Dogs said:
I hate to bring this up at this point but (again inho) the elec bikes are a wast of money and time . The several that ive worked on and riden over the years ,all lacked power to the point of being useless and batt life is short and need daily mont. if you want a grab and go bike.
If one is comuteing five or six miles round trip then fine ,twenty five doughtfull!
I don't wish to offend you but as an active ebike owner that uses it as an all season daily driver & commuter that simply isn't true, or at least isn't any longer... not with the developments and gradual price reductions of available technology over the past five to ten years or so.

My very basic ebike: 'Ruined by an electric bike...' does a sustained 27mph for 30+ miles in mixed terrain without any undue pedal assistance (I help on take offs because I choose to), recharges fully in a matter of a few hours (while at work etc) and cost about the same or less than anything other than the very most basic, wallyworld budget builds - roughly a grand.

Since I got the thing (over 6000 miles ago) I've had to do absolutely nothing insofar as repairs, replacements or tuning/adjustments to anything save worn tires and lube the chain & cables, which ofc are standard wear items on any bike. There has been no loss of range or speed despite my unrelenting abuse up to and including partial charge & discharge cycles, extended high-load applications (trailer & hills), not to mention the horrors of Maine winter use.

What you seem to be referring to are budget SLA builds and/or the overpriced & underpowered kits often available at the LBS... things have changed significantly in a relatively short period of time, despite being a born motorhead, owning a number of gasbikes and liking them still - I will most assuredly recommend ebikes as a "grab and go bike" for commuting, that's their strongest point as there's simply nothing else you need do with them, if anything it's their very definition lol

...but as with anything not all are created equal, some research and shopping around is absolutely necessary and remember, the most important thing on an ebike isn't the motor - it's the batteries. Buy the biggest, best batts you can possibly afford (I've a 48v 15ah LiFePO4 pack on my commuter BTW) and you'll not be disappointed ;)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
No offense taken ,i always read your posts knowing ill learn something. It has been about five years since ive been on an emb ? Funny i just sent mrbiker a pm telling him not to take my word alone ,and use the forum to get many opnions as poss.
My prob with emb's was : 1st my weight(not there fault) 2nd lack of power off the line 3rd batt life and usefull duration .
You seem to be alot better informed then i as to the current motors and batt out there . Seem they may have addresed some of those issues, i just think for the $ they have some failings
I have wanted to build a hybrid for years but havent because of my pryor exp. time to think about it again...

Bubba-1

Aug 12, 2011
Wisconsin
You need a license to operate a motor bicycle in Wisconsin.

343.05 Operators to be licensed; exceptions.
343.05(3)
No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license issued under s. 343.135 or a restricted license issued under s. 343.08. A license under this paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or expired.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
have you checked your states slow moving vehichle laws Here in indiana A big orange triangle and a handi cap parking tag and your good to go

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
Re: disabled and needing some advice WI

alright guys here is my deal and i know there are some threads but im looking for something cut and dry here because I need to do something

I am 23 years old and live near wausau wi. i have a visual impairment and bike everywhere i go I can not get a drivers license as my best corrected vision is 20/120. I bike everywhere i go buy am limited to about 25 miles round trip.

some times i ride in the road for turns and such or when there are no sidewalks (still using a peddle bike) i obay the rules of the road and can see tragic lights and cars clearly (as stated i bike all over)

I need something that isn't going to kill me when going shopping or to see my girlfriend and motorbikes have always kinda been on my hobby to do list.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION

am i going to go to jail/get a ticket for riding a moterbike in WI? i understand no more sidewalks and trails but thats ok. just looking for some straight forward advise.

seen a boy the other day and he was like "go for it as long as you aren't being stupid i don't think you'll have a problem" as much as i really want to listen to this mans advice i don't want to start any trouble.

so can you guys help me out at all?

Thanks a bunch in advance, keith

brnotusflg
Congress passed a law in 2001 and bush signed it that any electric personal device with up to 750motor and a top speed of not more than 15mph is legal anywhere in the USA! no cop or court can overide that!

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Re: disabled and needing some advice WI

Congress passed a law in 2001 and bush signed it that any electric personal device with up to 750motor and a top speed of not more than 15mph is legal anywhere in the USA! no cop or court can overide that!
Incorrect because the law is about manufacturing a electric bike and hasn't a damn thing to do with states ability to legislate their use on each states roads