dirty gas and thick oil speed boost??

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ok this is my bike, i have a 66cc HT port and polished, exhaust done, head milled for compression, 37 tooth sprocket and intake mods.

i ran it through about 1200kms and it runs good, it will go to around 54kph down a slight hill and 47 on the flats, thats with new gas and synthetic oil. i mix it 25:1. however i once didnt have 2 stroke oil and used 10w30. it smoked and smelled but man it ripped! then after that i went back to synthetic and the power boost was gone. here is whats strangest though. i have 3+ year old(possibly leaded) marine gas that has been stored in my grandfathers garage. there was over 60litters and i tried to run it in my 84 skylark before but it varnished up in the carb and wouldn't burn. i thought what the heck i might as well try it in my bike so i mixed some up at 20:1 to be safe. and mind you this gas smells. it has this crazy oder to it thats not normal. and it looks like dark yellow urine, i have been running it in my bike now and its the same boost i got with the 10w30! i can hit 60+kph on the flats so its really noticeable. the engine just has more power and revvs higher and smoother. i dont get it, i have run through about 2 tanks of the stuff in my bike and its just fine. what could be causing this?

thanks!!

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Try running premium gas with an octane booster and see if you get the same. could be that you're getting predetonation and it's robbing power
i usually run 89 octane. its not pinging or missfiring on good clean fuel. it runs strong and hard but it sort of hits a wall at 47kph where it wont rev higher, but with this is runs awesome. also i did lean it out before by lowering the clip

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Nothing good can come from using stale gas. The rings will soon varnish up and start sticking. The old fuel also has lost octane.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Nothing good can come from using stale gas. The rings will soon varnish up and start sticking. The old fuel also has lost octane.
yes i know, but money is tight, so tight i dont have anything else for gas, and i have all this stuff that runs awesome in my bike

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
it's probably lost a lot of it's octane rating, which is acting like a timing retard. your engine may have lots of timing built into the way the keys were cut into the crank and mag, and the bad gas acts a a retard getting it more into the normal timing range for an HT motor.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Burn baby burn.

You don't want all that toxic waste laying around eh?

Besides, that gas is worth more than a happy time anyway - :)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Burn baby burn.

You don't want all that toxic waste laying around eh?

Besides, that gas is worth more than a happy time anyway - :)
true, and i dont see it doing any lasting harm. worst case it gums up my carb. i mixed it with new oil so it will get proper lubrication, i also have lots of old boat pre mix but im not sure what its mixed to and i dont know if the oil will still lube my engine after sitting 3 years

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
old gas WILL gum the rings so bad that they can stick in their grooves, causing excessive blowby and heat, and easily sieze the piston.

Just keep running old gas and you will learn from the experience :~)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
old gas WILL gum the rings so bad that they can stick in their grooves, causing excessive blowby and heat, and easily sieze the piston.

Just keep running old gas and you will learn from the experience :~)
oh i will. me and my father both have HT's and he rides it 30kms a day to and from work. i have burned through about 8 liters now. il post something if i have any issues but its running mint, the exhaust smells acrid and burns the nose but im not worried about it.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
My saying is don't fix it if it ain't broke. Well I guess a lot of people say that too. If that is all you have then run it till it breaks if it dont break then that is even better. I'm sure they have run far worse in these motors in china and they either broke or worked.