Did I choose the right vendor

GoldenMotor.com

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
New here. JNM Motors out of Bothell WA sells a kit and the motor is supposed to have been ported, new American Standard bearings and balanced. The rest of the "kit" appears to be generic. Have you had any experience with this company? What is their reputation?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks like the standard kit to me. They do not upgrade anything themselves, they just claim it's "latest and best"
As far as I know, the only vendors actually doing upgrade work to the stock motors are arrow and dax and the price reflects it.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

Attachments

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
An update on this thread. JNMotors seems to be a credible source of components. The "kit" as shown on their web site is not the upgraded one they ship. That motor that is "tuned" has a slant plug head and the following is done to the motor:

Ported
Balanced
Upgraded engine bearings depending on your selection, i.e., American Standard, etc
Upgraded Speed Carb
Upgraded CDI
Upgraded sprocket
Upgraded Throttle grip
Upgraded motor isolation mounts

I haven't installed this kit but it should be a screamer. Oh, it looks like from the packaging the motor upgrade may be done in Germany. The packaging labels are in German. Just a guess.

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
OK, you may not believe this but I got the engine which did look like it was ported. Installed the engine but it would not turn over. Removed the engine and sparkplug and found that the top of the piston was hitting the cylinder head when we tried to turn it over. There is no way that engine was ever tested. Needless to say I'm waiting for another engine that they are sending. They are sending the "new" engine via USPS and I got a tracking number last Friday but have not seen any updates on the number......hmmm

Last edited:

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
The primary reason I purchased this engine was the "fact" that these engines are "ported, balanced and upgraded bearings" motors.

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
I received a replacement motor today and have it running. The motor looks stock, not upgraded as their web site is selling, not ported (I assume if it was ported the port walls would look like they were machined smooth not rough), phillips head screws (not allen head as the 1st one had) that hold the covers on the engine and the edges of the engine gaskets are sprayed the same color as the engine, not as if the engine was disassembled to replace engine bearings. I assume if you were to replace the main bearings you would need to split the engine case open. At this point I'm not pleased with this supplier. Check their web site, JNM Motors. Looks good. Problem is that's all that looks good. Here it is 2 weeks and I'm not happy. Anyhow would you buy from them? I'm out $450.00

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I received a replacement motor today and have it running. The motor looks stock, not upgraded as their web site is selling, not ported (I assume if it was ported the port walls would look like they were machined smooth not rough), phillips head screws (not allen head as the 1st one had) that hold the covers on the engine and the edges of the engine gaskets are sprayed the same color as the engine, not as if the engine was disassembled to replace engine bearings. I assume if you were to replace the main bearings you would need to split the engine case open. At this point I'm not pleased with this supplier. Check their web site, JNM Motors. Looks good. Problem is that's all that looks good. Here it is 2 weeks and I'm not happy. Anyhow would you buy from them? I'm out $450.00
I DID warn you...You could have spent that cash at arrow and had a real screamer.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It's a learning experience. Break out the tools and make the best of it. If you ever buy a crate motor for your car, you will remember this little bump in the road.