Death Trap, Take 2...

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
after i broke the frame at the last race on my little red monster, i broke out the old '37 Shelby airflow i rode in tucson, and went to work with the wekder and some paint cans.

cut-off and welded new rear drop-outs (that i salvaged from a junk bmx'er.)

welded a brace where the rear drum brake arm puts pressure (that's where my red racer broke. twice.)

cut down some 26" bmx cruiser forks and re-welded the drop-outs back on.

built up a really fast motor. how fast? i'm not saying. but i've got some ideas to make it faster...

hopefully, it stays together for a coupla races...:)

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That is a good looking bike!! The whole color scheme looks sleek on the stance. Does look pretty fast!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
middle bar cracked on the way to work today. nt speed carb broke a tab. down tube is squishing from the motor mount.

welded the middle bar, put the smaller stock nt on, and hopefully the downtube doesn't blow before friday. then i'll weld a sleeve on it...

you think these 1930's frames could take the pressure, right? i mean, it's only 75 years old...:)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
thanks, but i was digging around in all my parts and found another one. slid it on after i got home and the bike's even faster. the stock carb was just a little too small, but the speed carb seems to work really well.

i've got a dellorto and a mikuni i might try out, also.

this bike's gonna really freak some people out at the race. something this small, going as fast as it does is gonna give everyone a run for their money. i think i've finally figured out the winning set-up...

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
just as i predicted, all the people who thought this bike was too small to be competitive were pretty surprised at how well this bike did.

during the grueling race at the grange in 100 degree weather, it never whined or complained. not even a hiccup.

well, the old rusty pedal chain fell off, but PistonBikesRob gave me a new one.

another cool thing, is since i was using opti-2, there's no oily mess all over the engine, or anywhere else. besides the dust, it looks exactly the same as before she left for the track.

the only thing showing signs of wear was my semi-metallic clutch pucks. had to adjust my clutch cable a 1/4 inch before going to the store today.

i've got some minor mods i wanna do before my race at adams in 2 weeks. i need to squeeze out about 3-5 more mph to stay ahead of the pack. I need to give Jim Rust a run for his money...:)