dealing with brake/shifter lines

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So, I don't have a kit yet, but I'm concerned about my lines as far as mounting the kit goes.

All of my lines are the kind that attach at two points to the frame and don't have any outer casing between those points (can see the bare metal cable).

One runs along the top of the top tube, the other 3 down the underside of the diagonal tube.

Any advice on dealing with lines like this?

Thanks

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The ones running under your diagonal tube shouldn't cause you any problems. They should clear the front motor mount no problem. The one on your upper tube may be a problem. It will get in the way of your gas tank. All I did was buy a new standard cable that runs from your lever to where ever the other end needs to go to. As long as both ends are captured it doesn't matter what happens in the middle.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Ok now that I looked again, I only have two on the bottom, and I'd definitely be able to use that bolt-through-frame mount (oversized tube) and have no issues. I'll have to look into getting a new cable for the top tube when the time comes though.

Thanks.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I would reccomend not to drill through your frame for the front engine mount ! but instead purchase a larger plate that you can use a u-bolt instead! or unless you can fab it up as I did! I dont have any pics of my set-up and how I done it , but I soon will.
I think thatsdax carries the plate that Iam referring to , but Iam not sure, when I get some more time I'll look

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I was thinking about using a U bolt. My only concern is the shifter lines (bare cable) will be stretched over the U bolt, since they're close to the tube. Plus I was examining my tube last night, and it's kind of a funky shape. At the front near the fork, it's a vertical oval, but down at the crank, it's a horizonal oval - if that makes sense. Might have a hard time getting a U bolt to fit properly there. Guess I won't know till I try though.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I have same brake cable lines on the down tube , and just slipped u-bolt between cables and frame. also added a piece of rubber tube over u- bolt before installing to keep from scratching frame too bad , I dont have a problem as far as having to stretch cables around u-bolt , cables do touch u-bolt , but not bad ( not stretched). as for your down tube , it wont hurt to try first before you have to drill through frame!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
well it's good to know that it shouldn't cause much of an issue.

Now if I could just get a couple things sold so I can order a motor....