Dave's 1962 Schwinn Briggs Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My grandson and I bent up the exhaust pipe and fitted it to the bike. Looks like it clears the kicker. Just need to weld the flange on the end and make a bracket to support the rear.

Reactions: xseler

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

The cardboard template loosely resembles a Harley Knucklehead outer primary cover and the wooden buck will be glassed over to make a belt guard for the left side.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
After making four of these brackets, I finally got the perfect one. It screws to the clutch anchoring it from rotating while supporting the cable. Next is the carburetor linkage. I got the exhaust pipe flange tigged and will be ready for a test run soon.

Reactions: indian22

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My fiberglass guy says my primary belt cover will lose too much detail unless we use it for a mold. So David suggested scanning it and having it 3D printed. Great idea and my son has a printer. We'll see if he can make it for us.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I wanted to hook up the throttle without too many ugly brackets and linkage, so I decided to hide the cable bracket between the intake and exhaust tubes. Now I can make the return spring and linkage to the carb.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Finally finished the throttle hookup with a spring return and offset lever at the carb.

The stock chinese petcock was too long and so I cut a half inch off the tank and tapped it to 1/8'' pipe and installed a better valve. It has a screen in the tank and is 90 degrees. Along with another elbow at the carb and some Tygon hose with angled filter. The bike started right up and ran great. Still have loads of little things to do, like the air filter, a foot on the kick stand, trim the excess from the shafts, make a primary belt guard, figure out a headlight, and the kick starter still needs some fine tuning. But it pedal starts fine.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The kicker flexes a bit and wont stay aligned with the sprocket. So I made an aluminum guide that bolts to the backing plate and directs the segment gear into the sprocket and keeps it engaged throughout the stroke.

So far it works great. If the aluminum wears too fast, I'll make a solid brass guide to replace it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Kind of funny i was just looking at the build a few minutes ago, LOL. AWESOME guide. How about some brass were plates on the inside, just a thought.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah Curt, brass would be good against steel. I think the aluminum should last a while if a drop of oil or a dab of grease is applied once in a while.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I added one of my favorite air filters. A Tecumseh element between 2 brass freeze plugs. And a simple kill switch right on the Honda magneto. Still tons of little things to do before I turn it over to Dave. But, it's good enough for Donut Derelicts this Saturday.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
So I've been wanting to try an 8hp flywheel on a 5hp engine for a few years. My friend, Dan, made me an adapter to make it fit. Along with a special key, it bolts up nicely. The 8hp flywheel is almost an inch bigger in diameter so I had to cut the standoffs that hold the 5hp coil and make an adapter plate to raise the 8p coil accordingly.

I have a nice trimmed down and balanced 8hp flywheel from another build we didn't use.

Along with a couple of 3/8'' spacers I was able to get it all mounted onto Dave's engine.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
It performed better than expected. Very smooth running, easier kick starts and takeoffs along with a nicer idle. We don't care that it revs slightly slower. Added a simple kill button and went cruising.