cylinder 66cc casting fault

GoldenMotor.com

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
Just wondering if the 80cc jug is the same as the 66cc?

I found a casting fault on the cyl. According to the vendors shipping they sent an 80cc jug. it has not arrived yet. So I have no way of knowing if in fact it is or is not the same.

Attachments

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
There are no actual 80cc kit engines.

All 80cc chinese engines are are really 66cc. You'll be ok with what they send you. (As long as the new one one isn't a defect.)
TiM

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
They are all the same. It was some kind of strange thing about how the Chinese measure one way and us another, upshot is they are the same. Find a new jug on eBay as long as it isn't one of the newer Grubee motors, like the Super Rat. For the most part the parts are universal. As long as the hole dosn't go all the way through I don't see why you couldn't use it. I don't think it could hurt, there's no compression where it's at, the rest of the time the piston skirt is over it so unless it's sucking air it should be ok.

You could also try Alumiweld. Its really a solder for aluminum, it needs to be 750 degrees to melt though but even with the fins carrying off the heat I think it would still work. Put it in an oven turned as high as it will go, so that's like 500 F. A good sized torch and melt the Alumiweld into the hole. Put it back into the oven. Turn the oven off and take the cylinder out when it's cool, give it an hour or so. Now, if it hasn't warped it otta work. ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's more of a casting normality than a fault.

i mean, it's not supposed to be there, most of the grubee skyhawks have holes in the sides where the mounting studs go.

as long as it's not breaching the cylinder wall it's fine.

consider it a "cooling vent."

dbscrapper

Oct 10, 2011
ontario
reply to all,
I got the aswer I was looking for. Yes I can see the threads of the head/cyl bolt. But would rather the hole wasn't there even though it's part of the Chinese quality control ha ha.
Vendor has been nothing but excellent!!! and is sending a new jug.

R/B