custom HTbicycle engine parts and 4 stroke mounts

GoldenMotor.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
next week i will be starting up my foundry business. First product will be clutch covers with fins for more cooling during a race and it will just look awesome. only on the top half so pedals will clear it. next will be high performance AFFORDABLE engine heads. i can also make custom mount blocks for odd shaped tubes, and i am in the process of making a mount for my 99cc predator 4 stroke mountain bike that i might make more of to sell. i'm wondering what kind of a market there is for this stuff, and need suggestions for other products.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Re: custom HT parts and 4 stroke mounts

Custom HT cranks where connecting rod is 2mm farther from the center. This way it will increase displacement by 4mm and using thicker gaskets would make the piston clear the transfer and exhaust ports and improve compression. Small fins on the crank to increase air flow when fully open. The cranks would still have to be balanced. In a similar case, I put grooves instead of fins on my cranks to improve airflow. It seems to run better, and gained about 4 km/hr even when climbing hills but it could also be, because of the Walbro Carb that I'm using. :)

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

sorry, i don't have a steel mill! my furnace is only capable of aluminum and copper alloys. if i was to make cranks, well it wouldn't be me making them. i have no machine shop, i have a deal with a guy who does. so what do ya'll think about affordable heads? i'm thinking like $30. maybe i will have the inside cnc milled for more accuracy than a cast. i haven't talked to my machinist about it yet, though. will see him this weekend.

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
What are your size limits?
What tolerances can you hold?
What materials can you work with, specifically which aluminums and possibly AlMag?
Can you import 3d files? Native or surface files?
Do you work from rapid prototype parts?

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

Size limit is very big for investment casting, bigger than bike parts. My current furnace is small, will be building bigger soon. My weight limit is about 6 pounds for one part. Bigger furnace will hold a 20 lb capacity crucible.
For sand casting, I can make parts up to 5x11x11 or 9x7x5 depth by length by width.

My machinist has cnc. I have autodesk inventor pro and AutoCAD. I have no computer controlled machines or anything like that. I specialize in investment casting using foam that I cut and shape, much more versatile than traditional sand casting. It's good for one-offs. I do make two part sand molds, that's what is used for HT parts. Heads, covers, ect. I will make permanent patterns for my 4 stroke mount if I get more than say 1 order. That will drive the cost WAY down. The alloy I use for structural parts is 356. Its used very commonly in automotive parts and wheels, and I quench it for a T4 treatment. For decorative parts I use extruded scrap, it's usually 6061 or similar. Much easier to work with after casting. 356 casts like a dream, very liquid and low shrinkage and super strong which makes it hard to work.

I can work from rapid prototype parts. They can have no undercuts because the pattern must be pulled from the sand cleanly. It is good to have about a 1° angle on the sides to ensure it pulls out cleanly.

Native files? Surface files? I do have 3d design software as I mentioned.

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

Size limit is very big for investment casting, bigger than bike parts. My current furnace is small, will be building bigger soon. My weight limit is about 6 pounds for one part. Bigger furnace will hold a 20 lb capacity crucible.
For sand casting, I can make parts up to 5x11x11 or 9x7x5 depth by length by width.

My machinist has cnc. I have autodesk inventor pro and AutoCAD. I have no computer controlled machines or anything like that. I specialize in investment casting using foam that I cut and shape, much more versatile than traditional sand casting. It's good for one-offs. I do make two part sand molds, that's what is used for HT parts. Heads, covers, ect. I will make permanent patterns for my 4 stroke mount if I get more than say, 2 orders. That will drive the cost WAY down. The alloy I use for structural parts is 356. Its used very commonly in automotive parts and wheels, and I quench it for a T4 treatment. For decorative parts I use extruded scrap, it's usually 6061 or similar. Much easier to work with after casting. 356 casts like a dream, very liquid and low shrinkage and super strong which makes it hard to work.

I can work from rapid prototype parts. They can have no undercuts because the pattern must be pulled from the sand cleanly. It is good to have about a 1° angle on the sides to ensure it pulls out cleanly.

Native files? Surface files? I do have 3d design software as I mentioned.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Excellent. When I get the point of needing castings I'll be in touch. Likely one-offs. I can provide my own 3d files or rapid prototypes if FDM is OK.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I have a suggestion. a QUALITY pull-start OR kick start for the ht engines. the pull starts that are sold now are junk. if a kick-start assy can be made affordably, that might be better, but a quality pull-start would also be great.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN

I would definitely suggest making a good quality one piece wide crank kit if possible. (One that a standard sprocket can fit on to). I don't think ANYBODY makes that right now...the only ones out there use hexagon sprockets :/

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

both a kick and pull start will have a lot of parts that need machining. AKA $$$. also, a one piece crank needs to be steel b/c you need steel bearing races. well, maybe i could use a ring of steel in the mold when casting... I'll look into it. so, is anybody interested in a clutch cover with fins? I'm thinking like $10 plus shipping, and sell through ebay. I will make it look super cool, your riding buddies will be jealous!

FDM is more than ok! I've wanted a 3d printer for a long time, so i can make mold patterns.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

Describe what the part is you want. You will need to use bearing holders. I'm guessing you need the part the serves as a mount for both the engine and roller. That should be very easy. I can give you just the piece of metal for $30 depending on the complexity of the part. Holes would need to be drilled for your application. Aluminum is very easy to drill through even with cheap drill bits. I can make the holes for the roller shaft but you will need to find a way to mount the bearings.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

Sorry I haven't finished the mount yet, I sprained my wrist and couldn't work in the shop till only a few days ago. I have redesigned some components and now this engine mount will be bullet proof. All parts are at least ⅜ thick and will use 8mm hardware. I am going to pour the first molds tomorrow. All parts will be T-6 heat treated. Threaded rod for the tube clamps will be stainless steel. You will need to drill some holes to custom fit to your bike. I will try to get the prototype on my bike tomorrow, but no promises. I am working Thursday and Friday, so it will be done Saturday.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

I cast the main part today, the positive wood copy that's used to make the mold needs some refinement. It is quite heavy, I will remove some material in spots to make it lighter. It has gone through the first heat treatment process, once I am done drilling and filing and sanding I will bring it to the full T-6 treatment and it will be very tough. I might not have to work on Friday so I might cast the rest of the parts and put them on my bike. I am buying high grade stainless steel threaded rod for the clamps so they will not corrode from road grime or salt during the winter. I would like to make this kit under $50, do you think that is a fair price? It will depend on how much the hardware costs and what I decide my labor is worth lol. I am going to take an apprentice so he will be my cheap labor for the tedious jobs like sanding and filing and eventually I will have him making the molds. I will have a picture up tomorrow of my progress on the base. This kit will work with steel frame mountain bikes. I will make clamps for various sized tubes. Any questions?

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

That's what the clamps bolt up to, having a vertical attachment allows it to be very adjustable. This casting had very poor surface finish, I will try another release coating with graphite. I also need to build another mold box because one of the mold halves didn't line up correctly and I had metal spilling out the side. I promise the next castings will be much better! I am going to put some more body filler around the little supports on the sides and the seams.