Croatian Boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Let the bike fully warm up, and turn the lights on once you have the revs up and are underway.
If it still kills the engine, you are drawing too many watts.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I couldn't use both a head and tail light using standard 6 volt incandescent bulbs either, but was able to instead use 6 volt LED lights which draw a lot less juice. I have redone several old head and tail lights this way and now make my own light housing using LEDs inside. Do you have a source for these where you are? There is an ebay seller with good LEDs made in Michigan, USA. I've also used phillips 6 volt LED lights which were made for Christmas trees in a strand of 18 for about $7.00... very reasonable. They draw so little I've used all 18 in a headlight, plus have a tail light and brake light all running off the engine. LEDs are the way to go with China girls if you run your lights off the engine.
SB

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
today finally the rain stopped so i went for a ride!

left my camera at home but I've got my mobile instead, what do you say?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like how the gas tank kind of compliments the Citroen... the lines of it. Now you need to find a headlight for the bike which is a small version of the car headlight. This is going on top of the car? Do I remember that right? How will you get it up there and hold it on? I want to see it up there, but you realize of course that people are going to run into things as they rubberneck to see what the heck that was.... "did you see that???? Turn around. Follow that Citroen!!!" Very cool. I imagine people are asking about it and want to know where to get one. Good job.
SB

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
hehe, tnx SB, the plan is to build the roofrack (ofcourse in retro style and fully customized)

and you R wright - people do stop me on the street just to ask where did I get it from and if it is possible to make one for them hehe, the plan is to prepare better for the next season! this year I'm a little bit short in finance section because me and my girl decided to "run away" to LasVegas to get married - it'll be a summer to remember!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Will you then have some kind of ramp or something to roll the bike up onto the roof rack?

Las Vegas!?! Are there two of them... one there and one here? If it's the one here that's a long run. Congratulations to you both. May much happiness come your way. If you can be as inventive and persistent in caring for your marriage as you have this bike project, you will indeed have a fine marriage. Some people say a good marriage takes work. I don't think of it that way. Effort, yes, but mostly caring. I once heard of a happy old couple who determined early on that they would have an ongoing "competition in kindness". I thought that was a beautiful thing and it has stuck with me. Wish I had heard of it a long time ago when I thought it was all just supposed to happen on it's own . Have a great summer!
SB

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
It's been a while since I was here... so first thins first! - hope to have a friend or two when I'll put the bike on and off the car ;) but still... have to rethink all the things about the roofrack and the bike on it - the 2CV is a small fragile car, maybe the bike will be too heavy?!? hehehe

And about the Vegas... as far as I know there is only one in the world, so yes, it'll be a long run but never mind! First we'll go to NY (10 days) than LV (5 days) and at the end LA (5 days)! already have the plain tickets but no reservations for accomodation so if you have any idea....

I'll pass the thought that "happy old couple" to my dearest! sure that she'll like it...and around 10th/ 11th of august we'll star a competition of our own ;) tnx for nice words silverbear

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
hehe, I've seen the Phantom and all the similarities :) it's very flattering that you think in that way of my build and my bike. Tnx a lot!

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
it looks to me that the whole vintage racer look is coming back big time in the customs world... see also the Kastrel by Falcon Motorcycles... it was about time someone came up with something other than the usual V-Twin chopper crap!

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
One more thing, consider a sideways rear mounted rack instead of a roof rack. Much easier to mount/unmount and with a lower profile. (I'm sorry, but you wouldn't get quite as many "looks" with a rear mount). ;)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I agree with Waspswatter. A rear motorcycle type of rack/carrier would be perfect. I don't know what would be involved in getting a 2" hitch receiver under the 2cv, but that would be the ticket. The rack I've been looking at on ebay weights 37 pounds, is made of Aluminum and has a capacity of 400 pounds for a motocross bike, way more than enough for your needs. It has an aluminum channel ramp which attaches so that you can just roll it up in place, fasten it down and go. With shipping in the US it is $125.00. To Croatia that would be around one quarter of a bazillion dollars for the shipping. But something of that type would work well. So, your bike would be sitting parallel to the trunk and anybody pulling up behind you in traffic is looking right at it.
SB

dule

Dec 23, 2009
Zagreb
hey guys!

hmm I've thoguht about those rear mounts but the problem is that I'd have to take maybe even both wheels from the bike off because 2CV is wide 148 cm at the widest part! (less than 5 feet, about 4,86 to be exact)... maybe to produce a side mounted on the passenger side?!? that would be strange :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Then maybe a little trailer, wouldn't have to be much... a couple feet wide and maybe six feet long. Make the trailer axle from a dead 2 cv front end and you have matching wheels with no need for another spare tire. The bike could roll up with a little ramp and have similar tie downs. It would look pretty sharp back there. The car is so little it makes the bike look big. They really do need to be together so it's up top, on the back, along the side or towed along. Towed might be the easiest and with a fold down front wheel like on boat trailers it would be easy enough to move the trailer around with the bike on it. Hmmm, you live in an apartment, don't you? Where to stow the trailer then. At a friend's? There is a way!
SB