crankshaft installation technique

GoldenMotor.com

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i think hammers need to be used a little bit less on these motors. dont get me wrong, once in a while they need a good smack, but not on the crank.
i used a little spacer and some washers, but washers themselves will do just fine. why go to all the trouble of balancing and trueing when youre gonna hammer it in.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
Hi Foureasy.

I completely agree with your assessment of crankshaft installation.

I assembled my replacement crankshaft (that was trued) in the same manner as you've suggested.
Trying to clamp the crankshaft in place using the case halves and screwing the cases together only puts compressive stress through the crankpin area of the crankshaft, causing it to distort.
From that point all the effort to true the crankshaft has just become a waste of time, and even worse, if a hammer is used to bash on the case halves to help close up the cases when the screws won't close up any further.

I've thought about an even easier method, though somewhat more difficult in ways.
The next time i'm replacing a crankshaft, i'll be using liquid nitrogen to first shrink freeze the crank so that heated crankshaft bearings will easily slide onto their respective shafts.
After that, i'll shrink freeze the crankshaft and bearings (using the liquid nitrogen method) and heat the aluminium cases to close the case halves up against each other without applying a compressive load on the crankshaft halves (counterweights).

My local doctor has liquid nitrogen in his surgery.
I'm going to be bold and book a doctors appointment and get him to apply the liquid nitrogen to the parts.
I can't see it taking more than 10 mins; well within the allotted 15 minute time frame for seeing a paying patient.
Getting him to throw the case halves and the bearings in the heated sterilization unit could require a bit more persuasion. (^)

Fabian

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Foureasy.

I completely agree with your assessment of crankshaft installation.

I assembled my replacement crankshaft (that was trued) in the same manner as you've suggested.
Trying to clamp the crankshaft in place using the case halves and screwing the cases together only puts compressive stress through the crankpin area of the crankshaft, causing it to distort.
From that point all the effort to true the crankshaft has just become a waste of time, and even worse, if a hammer is used to bash on the case halves to help close up the cases when the screws won't close up any further.

I've thought about an even easier method, though somewhat more difficult in ways.
The next time i'm replacing a crankshaft, i'll be using liquid nitrogen to first shrink freeze the crank so that heated crankshaft bearings will easily slide onto their respective shafts.
After that, i'll shrink freeze the crankshaft and bearings (using the liquid nitrogen method) and heat the aluminium cases to close the case halves up against each other without applying a compressive load on the crankshaft halves (counterweights).

My local doctor has liquid nitrogen in his surgery.
I'm going to be bold and book a doctors appointment and get him to apply the liquid nitrogen to the parts.
I can't see it taking more than 10 mins; well within the allotted 15 minute time frame for seeing a paying patient.
Getting him to throw the case halves and the bearings in the heated sterilization unit could require a bit more persuasion. (^)

Fabian
Fabian,

As long as you're already there...have the Doc X-ray the cases...you will then be able to declare the patient deceased and spare yourself the rest of the procedure.

Jim

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
what happened to your thread btw? i would love to see the rest of the assembly without all the associated 60mph bs. i always like to see how others do it.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I don`t really understand whats going on in the pic.`s since there`s no explanation....I want to take this spare motor apart and clean it up,inside the cases`s,elim. some slag ,ect.ect......Replace the bearings,bolts......Wanna know what I`m up against.....

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
in the pic im using the nut/bolt to pull the crank snout through the washers without hammering or tapping on any parts.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
do you install the seals last? the chamfers on theese cranks dont exist and make that seal a biatch to install without snagging it unless your really good lol do you cuncur four