Committing forgery: A Faux Rudge Autocycle build.

GoldenMotor.com

Commander Billypool

Nov 30, 2014
Citrus Springs Fl.
Just finished cutting a silver round in half and attaching the two half's to the brake pads took all day to drill and set both half's. Don't have many tools to work with but I've set 5 carats of rough diamond in epoxy the super tough Loctite weld in the rear wheel into a round keyway cut with a 1/8' drill bit
Hard to believe is an understatement but no less I've got 36 ~.8 mm diamonds on each side of the AS7's yeah the set comes with a Nexus 3 speed.
Managed to link all 3 chains up on the shift kit a few days ago. The setup runs 10t -17t-11t -44t the 3 speed @ 20t is 1.3 / 1/ .67 far as I know correct me if I'm wrong please. Well that's all tied up with the 66cc 2 stroke tight fit, got the extra fuel reserve @ 4 liter waiting to mount and a nice quality ignition I got about half price a pill bottle looking thing. I hope to get it going with a camera before Christmas. Hope this setup works as well as I think it could when I get a few miles on it. This project has been pure misery due I've had to assemble and disassemble this many times the soft aluminum parts are difficult to work with and the entire of the project was done without instructions. Not to mention the idea that I've had to lock some of the washers with epoxy and diamond and keeping track of diamonds the size of a pencil point is actually laughable but I'm trying to save a few for the front wheel if the idea works and at least one stone stays where it's put in each of the total 72 settings. Yeah I went the extra mile an ordered a one ounce silver round I cut in half to line the rubber pads on the side pulls and drilled and bolted them threading the .999 with the stainless steel bolt when tightening the half's against the rubber pads. I'd hope the 3 speed Nexus will pass the test as well the brakes the bolt on's on this are decent I estimate better bottom end and top end than most setups seen although the engine is an everyday out of the box no thrills 2 stroke.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm having fun at the moment. Something I'm on is giving me all the symptoms of scurvy. I'm not joking.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm having fun at the moment. Something I'm on is giving me all the symptoms of scurvy. I'm not joking.
Gott in Himmel, man! Surely you plan to speak to a doctor at length about that. When my friends here stop posting for a week or so, I get rather worried, so I'm hoping it doesn't come to anything like that.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Poke, poke, come on wake up you lazy thread ;)

Sadness has been expressed at the thought of me dismantling my faux-Rudge so I'm going to give the poor wee bike a stay of execution. At present I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding it as a FWD bike which will enable me to keep my long ankle length skirts out of danger.
As to the engine the jury is still out at the moment, but it could be a CAG. Would it be considered odd it paint a CAG green and put Villiers decals on it? - hum..... I shall have to think about that.

The other thing I'm considering is to continue with the idea of enclosing part of the frame as per my original plan, only instead of hiding an engine in the enclosure I'll set it up as a handy tool box and storage space instead.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well you do very good work so Props where Props belong! Personally I would continue with the original plan but then again AHHH I know how the changing of things goes too LOL!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
The problem I had with the original design was that I couldn't seem to fit the engine and the drive without it becoming a hazard to the style of clothing I wear. Or if I could manage to shield everything I couldn't easily step through the frame anymore which kind of ruined the point of doing the build in the first place.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well maybe just a pair of loose Kaki jeans ? No Pun intended I hear Ya I'm sure you could work it out some how with out the worldly attire.
I think you could still build the bike.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Well maybe just a pair of loose Kaki jeans ? No Pun intended I hear Ya I'm sure you could work it out some how with out the worldly attire.
I think you could still build the bike.
Well in Summer I do wear a plain type of cotton Salwar Kameez because it's cool and comfortable to wear and it still fits in with my beliefs....... sooooo yes I could rethink my mode of dress for the Rudge.

I'm still going to bank on using a CAG engine because I think it will fit the frame better than a China Girl.

Last edited:

Mukura

Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Giddy,

I was just reading your newer post where you mentioned you'd abandoned this project due to billowing skirts/dresses...

so I skimmed this thread and see what you mean.

I lined up a motor in a mix the once and too thought it was great, but something nagged at me about It and gave up then sold the bike. Occasionally I've kicked myself about that, but anyhow - looking at your last post with the pic of the ridge I noticed something very characteristic of the older auto cycles - the engine is mounted horizontally from the down tube.

I have to ask have you contemplated this? With a housing over the lower slung motor any issues with attire should theoretically be avoided.

I had a thread about similar mounting a few years back. Haven't been to active due to work and family, but am looking to make inroads in my shed this winter.. anyway, check out what I mean on this pic

http://www.zbox.com.au/images/gallery-johnny-2.jpg

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Yes exactly Mukura :) That's why I thought I'd try fitting a CAG engine instead as they have a horizontal cylinder barrel.
Most of the problems I was having was to do with the China Girl's cylinder barrel and carburetor getting in the way of everything.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There is a tendency to regard an engine's orientation as fixed, but with a 2 stroke, so long as the carb works, could a CG hang down and forward of the bottom tube?