colortune sparkplug

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!
I'm old now.
There's just no way I could SEE well enough at 1000rpm, let alone color tone separation.
lol
It's darn near all black and white to me now... Well, it will be soon enough.

When I used to repair stationary engines in the oil patch they had a petcock on the combustion chamber that would shoot out a flame when opened.
My master mechanic felt it was beneficial in reading the operating performance of the engine. just looked like a blue flame, to me. But he was very gifted.
Not sure how that might relate to a sparkplug, or a window in one. :)
Good luck with that!
rc

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
this is not a new concept. I first heard about this type of plug 15 or nore years ago off someone who is very expearianced in the mechanical & engineering side of a wide range of compettitive motor sports. Cheers

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Wouldn't the plug carbon up right away and the once clear viewing window gos away? There is nothing here that I can think of that would keep the little glass window freshly wiped? Then it would be like cleaning a unkept house oven? Hard to get off...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Years ago in high school auto mechanic shop class back in 80. I made up a small lawn mower engine and put clear plexiglass windows on it for first year students. Could see the oil splasher ,valves, and the cylinder head fire up. Put a very thick bullet proof grade one on the head. It did not last long. Fired it up just a few times and the view was gone. The plexiglass window catching fire inside did not help lol. Looked great too watch tho!

Yes I realize the spark plug here is not plexiglass lol. :p

Ran a piece of speaker wire from the plug base for a ground. The softer cork gasket used at the time lasted as long as the Plexiglass did but was all the rage at the time.:D

In auto mechanics I gained good respect for a lab scope looking at the spark currant patterns. With a lab scope a fellow can even look at the currant state of heath of a run of the mill relay switch breaker point contacts! Today's o2 sensors EFI rocks!