Cobra Cycles Flat Track Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am using a 22mm Mikuni from AGK with one of their adapter pipes. The reason I used this carb is because I wanted to be able to tune it and because of the orientation of the engine. The stock carb will not work when the engine is tilted vertically. So to fix this you must use a aftermarket carb or make some sort of adapter for the stock carb.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Our gx200's run a cylinder head temperature of 375-425 degrees. We have never run them without the blower housing and cooling tins. Curious to see what temps others get without the cooling tins.

cloud rider

Mar 28, 2011
oregon coast
I have been lurking on this site for almost a year or more now, and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing something from a new person. I bought one of those 4stroke kits and built a bike with that,(first photo) but soon got fed up with the lack of quality and how slow it was. So I decided to build my own. Over the past 6 months I have been building this in my kitchen (literally in my kitchen) and I just finished it today. It uses a gx200 clone with a cvt and has a top speed in the high 60's low 70's. On the test ride I let off the throttle around 65ish. I hope this can be a inspiration to a few people.
i have not started a build, but this is what i have been thanking of NICE WORK.MY e-mail. [email protected]

AirPirate 32

Feb 24, 2011
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Lurker,

I'm about six months into the "lurking" process. Bought me a CHian bike engine and tried out the theory...need more power. I've been looking at the Honda seried engines; did you take a stock 200 and modify the pully for pedals, or did you fab the whole lower end from scratch?

Impressed man...impressed

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure what you mean by "modified the pulley" but if you look on pg.2 or 3 I have a diagram of how I set everything up.

AirPirate 32

Feb 24, 2011
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Lurker,

Many thanks; I had looked up the Honda small displacement engines and noted most are pull start; naturally I'd want to modify that for kick start. I'm no engineer, but the theory holds true I guess that the "pull" action works just like going through a cycle with the kick starter...looking at your design, it all makes sense now...again, quite a build, and in the kitchen? Somewhere in Albania MacGuyver grins

Dizzy

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I don't think Lurkers' bike is kick or pedal start. It's hand wound with a rope that comes off each time, right? It makes sense and it's good security. If you have the start handle and rope in your pocket the bad guy isn't going to know how to start it!

AirPirate 32

Feb 24, 2011
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
cobrafreak,

Yeah; looking back through the posts, that's exactly what Lurker describes...pretty ingenious, really. Kinda hits on my own "frustration of the week"; trying to get out of the G-Bee box (no offfense to a fine product) and get the "custom" look. Restoring (let alone finding) a true antique engine is dicey if you're a weekend wrench turner like me, and I can't help but think that whem I'm done adding Quick Bricks, fenders, a real tank and lights to racer, the 66cc thumper won't be much of an improvement over my Skyhawk on the beach cruiser. Yet another noob question...anyone had success finding the new Honda CB50's engine? I'm guessing about the only way to do it would be finding a used one (which will proabably still eb attached to one of those awesome little bikes) or build it from soup to nuts off the Honda parts list...hey, I think I just answered my own question :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't think Lurkers' bike is kick or pedal start. It's hand wound with a rope that comes off each time, right? It makes sense and it's good security. If you have the start handle and rope in your pocket the bad guy isn't going to know how to start it!
I love it! It's the motorbike equivalent of parking your car and yanking out the starter motor and taking it inside with you.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
So my buddy was entering a car show a few weeks ago and asked me to bring my bike; I thought it was a silly idea to bring a motorbike to a car show but he insisted, so I did. Long story short I ended up winning a ugly little plack that says "1st in class" and I didn't even enter the show, I just parked my bike next to my friends car. It really stole the show to my surprise, It had a crowd around it all day long I couldn't believe it. It's really nice to see all of my hard work pay off. I couldn't believe how many people took an interest in it, little kids loved it and older guys wanted it. I had quite a few people offer to buy it but I cant part with it yet. at least not till the end of summer. I think in the future I will start making them for others to buy. But I need to streamline the build process and change the design a bit first.

Has any one else taken their bike to any sort of show?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Congratulations Lurker. Im not at all surprised your bike won something and pulled a big crowd. Its beautiful. And a lot of our bikes have a lot more creativety then some restored showcars.

I havent taken a MB yet, im still building mine, but on August 7 there is a show called "Greazefest" in Australia, which is for hot rods, classics, but mainly a ratrod style show. Im gonna take my 98cc Villiers Cruiser and i think itll fit right in.

Its not just cars but a lot of vintage stuff, i even seen an antique suspension pram. So a MB is definotely not outta place.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Has any one else taken their bike to any sort of show?

I went into a Biker event a couple of times. One was a Motorcycle swap meet and the other was a Buffalo Soldiers M/C Charity event. Both times it drew crowds and lots of photo ops. I do agree people go nuts for the unusual. I spoke to a guy that had several big ticket price Harleys and rice rockets and he said the bike he owns that gains the most attention by far is his little Royal Endfield 500cc single. It surprised him too.

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Lurker,
Can you give us an update on your cooling issues? I have to think that with the bike and engine in motion, it should't get any hotter than any other air cooled, finned gas motor. I thought the finned flywheel, tins and shrouds were because the motors are built to run stationary power equipment like shredders, pumps and such.

Thanks

HackMATTr

May 22, 2011
USA
I think I would be afraid of 60MPH on 2 inch tires, But after seeing this bike, it makes me want to start another bike. (Haven't even finished my first) =) Grab the 212cc motor from harbor freight and go. =D

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
Seeing so many top notch builds on this sight and other places and also the fact that there are others out there doing ground up scratch builds of board track bikes, not just converted bicycles I think it is only a matter of time until we see real board tracks appearing once again in this country like there were a hundred years ago.

I do believe this, we will see a revival unfold. The grassroots are there now, you are all part of it. Looking at the phenomenal rise in popularity of NASCAR and the fact that it is the most attended spectator sport in the U.S. now speaks volumes of the American thirst for racing. Participation is something else though, considering the costs, even on the local 1/8 mile ovals all over the country. Auto racing is a culture of money. Very simply the average Joe is just out of the game. That would not be so with board track motorbike racing. It truly will be a sport for the masses. No doubt, it is coming.

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Hello Lurker,
Would you mind telling me the type of wheels and tires youre using?
Those are bad a**!
As much info as you can provide please, it'll help me sleep at night...
Thank yee! :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
"The grassroots are there now, you are all part of it."

Hurts, doesn't it?

All them punk kids with loud pipes...

It's a simple fact... progress hurts.
Not much we can do about it.
I'm gonna have to join em!
Wish I was younger.

Best
rc

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Congratulations Lurker. Im not at all surprised your bike won something and pulled a big crowd. Its beautiful. And a lot of our bikes have a lot more creativety then some restored showcars.

I havent taken a MB yet, im still building mine, but on August 7 there is a show called "Greazefest" in Australia, which is for hot rods, classics, but mainly a ratrod style show. Im gonna take my 98cc Villiers Cruiser and i think itll fit right in.

Its not just cars but a lot of vintage stuff, i even seen an antique suspension pram. So a MB is definotely not outta place.
That is a sharp looking bike do you have any videos of it running? I would love to see and hear that thing go.