coaster brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
My question is: Are all coaster brake the same size? I want to get a hub adaptor. And I already got the bike with a coaster brake. ( sears spaceliner ) brnot

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
there are different sizes. best way to measure. would be to use a digital caliper. if you have a local machine shop or a napa or somethin. im sure they would be glad to measure it for you. then when you order your adapter, tell them the measurements.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
there are different sizes. best way to measure. would be to use a digital caliper. if you have a local machine shop or a napa or somethin. im sure they would be glad to measure it for you. then when you order your adapter, tell them the measurements.
That sucks I did not know coaster brakes came in different sizes. 1.695 inches Thats how big my coaster hub is. So it doesn't fit. I got this bike yesterday, just so I would be able to get a hub adaptor. I call manic mechanic and they said only 1.5something. Don't think no one makes one for that big of a adaptor. Thank you for your help

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
what kind is it? bendix? call piston bikes, pirate or sportsman flyer and tell them what kind you have.

most of the manufacturers and suppliers will be able to tell you if they have one that fits if it's a common hub.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
what kind is it? bendix? call piston bikes, pirate or sportsman flyer and tell them what kind you have.

most of the manufacturers and suppliers will be able to tell you if they have one that fits if it's a common hub.
Yes that is the kind Bendix. But it seems to be about ¼ of inch wider. I went on pirate, piston, sportsman web site. And the biggest size they have is 1. 5something. I really wanted this hub adaptor, but with a limited amount of cash left. ( $130.) I also could not find sportsman number on his web site. It said to send a Email.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
bendix adapters are tough to find, since it's an older hub. they made millions of them since, i dunno, 1940? so you figure they'd still be around.

i've got one from manic mechanic, but he's out of the picture now, so that's no help to you.

you can get the shimano hubs pretty cheap, even a whole wheel with 12g spokes, so thats an option. just gotta make some more money...

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
I was wondering if this will work. Weinmann DH-39 Alloy HD Rear coaster brake 26/1.75
36H 12G ss Black Black $38.39+ 8.99 shipping From amazon.com I was thinking about ording the hub adaptor with sprocket from manic mechanic for $78. with shipping. If I can find a good wheel. For no more than $50.oo with ship. Or I might just order the wheel and hub adaptor with No sprocket from PC. And try to put my kit sprocket on the adaptors. If that is possible. Thanks :-||

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
that wheel will work. you should find out what kind of hub it has, you didn't say.

the shimano CBE-110 is miles ahead of any other coaster brake currently available. the cheaper brands (histop, falcon, KT, etc) all have been known to self destruct.

you can use the kit sprocket with the adapter, but you have to very carefully drill new holes. gotta make sure they're perfect or your sprocket will be out of round, and the chain won't stay on.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
that wheel will work. you should find out what kind of hub it has, you didn't say.

the shimano CBE-110 is miles ahead of any other coaster brake currently available. the cheaper brands (histop, falcon, KT, etc) all have been known to self destruct.

you can use the kit sprocket with the adapter, but you have to very carefully drill new holes. gotta make sure they're perfect or your sprocket will be out of round, and the chain won't stay on.
Thanks bairdco Now that I know That I don't have to buy a sprocket Iam going to order a HD wheel from PC. Iam glad to know thats a better Wheel.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a histop coaster on a heavy duty double walled rim with 12g spokes. the rim is almost 3 years old, and i weigh 280lbs. The only issued I had was bearings getting crushed and that was due to overtightening on my part. previously i thought I had a shimano clone, but when I looked at the brake arm the other day, sure enough it said histop taiwan lol. I also have a worksman front drum, so Im good on brakes. just saying you can get a histop wheel for like $45 shipped. thats what i got my wheel for.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The Weinmann DH-39 is an excellent wheel for the money - I run a pair on my bike, although I did not use the hubs that came on them, just the hoops and spokes.

The coaster brake that comes on a rear DH-39 is a Hi-Stop. It's not a great coaster brake, far as they go, but it works okay if not overloaded.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i've personally seen 2 histop hubs blow up. one was on Flying Dutchman's bike at the death race a while back. he lost control right in front of me and went squirreling off the track. he didn't crash, but he didn't stop, either.

another one i saw on superior hill in newport beach. it's over a 6% grade, with a stoplight at the bottom. that stoplight is PCH. and that's a really busy road.

me and some friends were pedaling to the beach, and i had a 70 year old Colson with a New Departure skip-tooth coaster brake hub. i barged down the hill as fast as possible, with my buddy behind me on an old schwinn with a bendix hub, and his wife behind him on a new walmart schwinn. i stopped at the bottom, he stopped at the bottom, and luckily, she stopped at the bottom.

the difference is, she stopped with a 50' skid after the coaster brake seized. we left her bike in the ditch up the hill a little bit and rode her on the handlebars to the beach. when we got back, her bike was gone. dang. that thing cost 80 bucks on sale...:)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
thats crazy. well, I dont think this was a histop hub to begin with. I replaced the axle and all the coaster components when I ruined my bearings, so it could still be a shimano clone for all I know, just with histop components. I do know that the hub size is different than the wheel that came with the bike. its a huffy cranbrook. the wheel that came with the bike had a slightly smaller diameter hub, and there was about a mm or two of play between the sprocket and the hub. on this wheel, the sprocket is snug on the hub. no play. I dont know if that means anything or not.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've used the cbiio hub adapter on two Bendix hubs. Both hubs were salvaged from middleweights and neither one had the band (red, yellow, whatever) that some of the later ones had. So this model is smooth with no band and is a smaller diameter than the later Bendix hubs. These are well made hubs which I laced iinto rims replacing the Histop hubs (same diameter). I had one Histop self destruct on a wheelmaster wheel. Open up the Bendix and the Histop hubs and compare the quality of metal and bearings... what a difference!
The Bendix hub I'm referring to in this post would have been the first ones they made with the modern tooth pattern... not a skip tooth, and both of mine were from middleweights. Worth salvaging for sure. I know I tossed several of them before realizing I could lace them into balloon tire rims and use the CB110 adapter. Wish I hadn't thrown those away. There are PDF files on the internet showing the parts inside, so cleaning them up and repacking the bearings is a breeze. Neither of the ones I did showed any signs of wear in spite of being forty some years old.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another coaster hub they don't make sprocket adapters for is the 3 speed Nexus SG-3C41.
It measures 1.86" and like the OP said, all of them only go up to about 1.5". Too bad, but, I've never had one problem with my trusty old rag joints. I just wanted the aluminum adapter for the looks on my Nirve chopper.

Tom

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
Another coaster hub they don't make sprocket adapters for is the 3 speed Nexus SG-3C41.
It measures 1.86" and like the OP said, all of them only go up to about 1.5". Too bad, but, I've never had one problem with my trusty old rag joints. I just wanted the aluminum adapter for the looks on my Nirve chopper.

Tom
Now that I think about it, I never had any problem with my rag either. But It wasn't align right, and I also only had one rag on there. I was always worry about it too. Since I had one bolt missing, because the spoke was in the way. Only had to tighten the bolts once. And that was in the beginning.
I order my rim, hub adaptor, and saber oil yesterday. But I have to wait til they get more black rim in. (tuesday)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I wouldn't throw away any "vintage" bike parts in salvageable or usable condition. Some things command high prices on Fleabay, even if they look like trash to the average guy.

I have a Hi Stop on a Weimann DH rim, and I think it is fine. It doesn't have a lot of braking power, but it was good enough with a 36x19 gear and beach tires, with a vbrake up front. The first thing I did when I got it was disassemble and vat it out, then pack black auto grease in there. I wonder if different kinds of grease make for better stopping power, but the main thing for me was just to keep it lubed so it didn't fail.

I'm about to put it on a mountain bike I'm collecting parts for. I think all I need now is a seat and a can or two of my favorite Krylon primer-paint. :)

I've heard of people replacing the caged bearings with loose bbs, but I'm not sure what size to get.

I've used the cbiio hub adapter on two Bendix hubs. Both hubs were salvaged from middleweights and neither one had the band (red, yellow, whatever) that some of the later ones had. So this model is smooth with no band and is a smaller diameter than the later Bendix hubs. These are well made hubs which I laced iinto rims replacing the Histop hubs (same diameter). I had one Histop self destruct on a wheelmaster wheel. Open up the Bendix and the Histop hubs and compare the quality of metal and bearings... what a difference!
The Bendix hub I'm referring to in this post would have been the first ones they made with the modern tooth pattern... not a skip tooth, and both of mine were from middleweights. Worth salvaging for sure. I know I tossed several of them before realizing I could lace them into balloon tire rims and use the CB110 adapter. Wish I hadn't thrown those away. There are PDF files on the internet showing the parts inside, so cleaning them up and repacking the bearings is a breeze. Neither of the ones I did showed any signs of wear in spite of being forty some years old.
SB

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
This is probably the best thing to do. Since you want to buy a sprocket adapter anyway, just buy this one and you get a better wheel at the same time for not much more frog skins.

http://www.piratecycles1.com/cbwhw12gasps.html
Don't mean to hijack but... I really like this setup but y bike has a 6 speed shifter... what about the gears that would be missing with this purchase ? I also asume that wheel has a heavy duty axle ?