Coaster brake hub transformation question...

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Can you change out the hub on a coaster brake bike so it will peddle backwards(freewheeling?) and not use the coaster brake.....

And then I would install handbrakes..There's a lot of cool bikes i'd like to motorize but not if I have to have a coaster brake on them....

Can I just replace the inner parts of the hub and not have to buy a new wheel???

I've been searching for info, but so far im just more confused.......

Addicted and confused...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All you need to do is remove the 2 brake shoes inside the hub.
I have heard of some folks installing a short spacer or spring in place of the shoes in certain hubs that need it to still function properly, but out of the 6 I have done I have not encountered one like that yet.
Here is an excellent tutorial on coaster brake hubs to help you figure it all out.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/coaster-hub-overhaul-pedal-brake-hub
And where that link came from:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

Also, I have always kept the brake arm attached and anchored, but I don't know if it really is necessary.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have noticed that it looks like the coaster brake arm still need to be left on. Why is this needed to be left on if you no longer have the shoes in the hub, what does it do with no shoes installed?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Here's the way it was explained to me:
The left side wheel bearings use the device that relies on the brake arm for rotational stability as the inner bearing race. No brake arm = bearings that loose their adjustment.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here's the way it was explained to me:
The left side wheel bearings use the device that relies on the brake arm for rotational stability as the inner bearing race. No brake arm = bearings that loose their adjustment.
Ok, so that would rule out a band brake on one of these I guess?