cns carb spacer

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just got two Grubee SkyHawk 2010 66cc kits, one kit had a yellowish plastic carb gasket that was extremely brittle and broke almost immediately. The second kit had a plastic gasket that was more white and you could kinda see through it, that one doesn't seem as brittle and might be ok. Why two kits purchased together and manufactured on the same day have different parts I have no idea... Anyways....

I just got done making a new CNS carb gasket out of a piece of PVC tubing. I used 3/4" white PVC tubing (plastic water pipe), which when compared to the intake will seem a bit too large, at first glance. At second inspection I see the thickness of the material is almost perfect, this got me thinking...

I cut a section to the proper width, filed it flat to exact size, then cut a slice in it (like the original part). I then took a flat file and widened this opening until when squeezed (closing the gap) I could fit it into the CNS carb with a similar gap remaining as the original part. The gap in the new gasket was about 8mm wide when I was done, but reduced when compressed and inserted in the carb. The part looks a little bigger than the original, but when compressed it ends up the same.

I tried to fit the carb on the intake, couldn't quite get it on, so I pulled out the gasket and used sandpaper to thin it down on the outside until it fit. I can't comment about how it performs yet cause it's late and I won't be able to test it until tomorrow. I have to say I predict success, cause in the end it seems to be just like the original part, except not brittle and just waiting to crack! LOL

This new gasket is super strong, no way I could crack it with bare hands. And talk about cheap, I found the tubing laying around in the basement, at home depot a whole stick of tubing is only a couple bucks or less. I used some basic tools for the job, hack saw, vise, flat file, 150 grit sandpaper, that's about it. Only took a couple minutes to make, but take your time, widen the gap slowly and thin down the outer diameter with sandpaper in steps so you don't go to far. Worst case scenario is you have to start over, I guess you could try about 1,000 times with one stick of tubing!

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I found one, the question is, is it worth spending $25 on an intake for a cns2 carb or would it be better to spend $20 on this carb?

Both of these prices are after shipping.
I run a CNSv1 carb on the straight Manic Mechanic intake (make sure you get the intake for the CNSv1/v2 and not the NT intake as they are different) and can tell you it is well worth the money.

That being said there are a few issues you have to contend with to make them run well.

The first issue is that because there is no offset dog leg like on the stock and it being a straight tube your carb bowl will be on a more drastic angle and no longer level causing the float to not shut off as well and run rich or flood. You have to remount the engine to make it level after installing the straight tube.

Second issue is that the carb sits lower to the crankcase and can interfere with the clutch cable and clutch post. I made a right angle cable pull that mounts to 2 screws of the clutch cover and allows cable clearance around the carb bowl. I will be selling these in another month or so but there are some homemade pulls that you can google for. I also replaced my clutch post with a grease zerk so as to be able to lubricate my clutch shaft without removing the carb.

I also reamed out the throat of the intake so it would allow for more air and fuel to the engine and made a nice felpro gasket and sealed it with Indian head shellac sealer.

The bike went from 32 mph average to 36mph average and my best speed has been 39mph...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I run a CNSv1 carb on the straight Manic Mechanic intake (make sure you get the intake for the CNSv1/v2 and not the NT intake as they are different) and can tell you it is well worth the money.

That being said there are a few issues you have to contend with to make them run well.

The first issue is that because there is no offset dog leg like on the stock and it being a straight tube your carb bowl will be on a more drastic angle and no longer level causing the float to not shut off as well and run rich or flood. You have to remount the engine to make it level after installing the straight tube.

Second issue is that the carb sits lower to the crankcase and can interfere with the clutch cable and clutch post. I made a right angle cable pull that mounts to 2 screws of the clutch cover and allows cable clearance around the carb bowl. I will be selling these in another month or so but there are some homemade pulls that you can google for. I also replaced my clutch post with a grease zerk so as to be able to lubricate my clutch shaft without removing the carb.

I also reamed out the throat of the intake so it would allow for more air and fuel to the engine and made a nice felpro gasket and sealed it with Indian head shellac sealer.

The bike went from 32 mph average to 36mph average and my best speed has been 39mph...
Changing the intake for me is a no go, cause a streight intake would put the carb in a position where it would interfere with the bike frame. Also, if the tube were streight the carb would be at one **** of an angle on my bike. I have to assume the new Super Rat engine with its larger intake tube will probably fit the CNS carb without a spacer? Anyways, that's the engine I wanted but there was no stock so I finally gave in and got the SkyHawk 2010 kit.
At any rate, I think I have my problem solved with this new gasket I made last night out of some PVC water tubing, it seems like it will work just fine, so I can keep my original intake tube in place and just replace the crappy gasket.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Changing the intake for me is a no go, cause a streight intake would put the carb in a position where it would interfere with the bike frame. Also, if the tube were streight the carb would be at one **** of an angle on my bike. I have to assume the new Super Rat engine with its larger intake tube will probably fit the CNS carb without a spacer? Anyways, that's the engine I wanted but there was no stock so I finally gave in and got the SkyHawk 2010 kit.
At any rate, I think I have my problem solved with this new gasket I made last night out of some PVC water tubing, it seems like it will work just fine, so I can keep my original intake tube in place and just replace the crappy gasket.
The super rat from what I have heard were pulled from sale for the time being due to some issues including the new coil less ignition system till they work out the bugs. I was really hoping it would be a good engine and was ready to order a couple to test out.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The super rat from what I have heard were pulled from sale for the time being due to some issues including the new coil less ignition system till they work out the bugs. I was really hoping it would be a good engine and was ready to order a couple to test out.
I was told they were shipped and held in customs for inspection, opening all the kit boxes etc. I kinda wondered to myself if this was the truth or perhaps there was an issue with the engine that delayed the shipment. Don Grubee did in fact tell me that they had shipped, and also said GasBike.net would be the sole distributor of the Super Rat. BikeBerry took my order for them and said they would ship Monday, then Thursday, then every Thursday for a month until I insisted they refund my money. It was BikeBerry that first told me they were held up in customs. So who knows, all I know is they wasted a lot of my time by taking an order for a product they didn't know when would be in stock, if they are ever gonna be in stock for BikeBerry cause GasBike.net is supposed to be the sole distributor for the rats....
After canceling my order for the rats at BikeBerry I ordered my SkyHawk 2010's from GasBike.net, they shipped super fast, so I was real happy with that. When I came across this stiff clutch I tried to call them for support but couldnt get them. BikeBerry, on the other hand, couldn't ship me a kit for over a month, but I can get ahold of someone there no problem! So one company can actually deliver the product fast but can't get support, the other has fast support but can't get you the product! Kinda ironic.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
That is funny because I know Robert at Piston Bikes had them for sale not too long ago and pulled the ad because of the issues:

Glad I archived that image...

Sometimes I think Don talks to hear himself talk and doesn't think about what he is saying...

PB is selling 2011s now though.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
That is funny because I know Robert at Piston Bikes had them for sale not too long ago and pulled the ad because of the issues:

Glad I archived that image...

Sometimes I think Don talks to hear himself talk and doesn't think about what he is saying...

PB is selling 2011s now though.
Well, what Don said could still be accurate. GasBike.net does wholesale as well as retail, so they could have sold some of the first batch of Rats out to Piston Bikes. Or maybe the exclusive deal wasn't struck before the first batch when out, or maybe Don was just talking for the sake of talkin! LOL I had heard gripes about the carb, but I think its just a CNS carb like I got on the 2010 kits. I hadn't heard about the other problems, but I did worry a bit about the new design being untested. My kits were manufactured on 4-20-2011, so I guess that must be the latest batch of regular SkyHawks.

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Well, what Don said could still be accurate. GasBike.net does wholesale as well as retail, so they could have sold some of the first batch of Rats out to Piston Bikes. Or maybe the exclusive deal wasn't struck before the first batch when out, or maybe Don was just talking for the sake of talkin! LOL I had heard gripes about the carb, but I think its just a CNS carb like I got on the 2010 kits. I hadn't heard about the other problems, but I did worry a bit about the new design being untested. My kits were manufactured on 4-20-2011, so I guess that must be the latest batch of regular SkyHawks.
wanna sell me a 4-20 tag from one of the engines? LOL I really mean it...

Don is a smart guy and also a decent person but when I was working with Charles Demerjian at Tillotson getting the HA and HU carbs working on the Grubee engine he would get stuck and ramble on over the darndest things like what color of air cleaner it should have before the carb was even working. LOL... That reminds me I need to ship that engine back to Tillotson...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
wanna sell me a 4-20 tag from one of the engines? LOL I really mean it...

Don is a smart guy and also a decent person but when I was working with Charles Demerjian at Tillotson getting the HA and HU carbs working on the Grubee engine he would get stuck and ramble on over the darndest things like what color of air cleaner it should have before the carb was even working. LOL... That reminds me I need to ship that engine back to Tillotson...
I kinda laughed myself when I saw the 4-20 tag! Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing! LOL

69fury

Jun 9, 2011
Lawrence KS
Tried to buy 2 Super Rats from Gasbikenet in early June, but they only had one.

It came with a 2010 tag on it, but does have all the casting upgrades and looks great.

Meanwhile i bought a completed bike that a friend put together in March. He couldn't make it work so i stripped it and put the kit on my bike.

GT5 with a March 20, 2011 build date-if that's a true build date then the castings had to have still been warm when he unwrapped it.

rick

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I kinda laughed myself when I saw the 4-20 tag! Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing! LOL
Just means the engine will smoke a little more than normal.

Anyway... Just seen this and will be going to lowes tomorrow..currently my carb has aluminum foil doubled up under that cheap plastic piece because the carb kept falling off..and I have feeling it is still sucking air there as I have had a damn hard time keeping the bike running the same as I ride it...

But anyway..Had it together for a few months now and I regularly take the bike on 30 mile trips...and I pretty much have all the kinks worked out.. dnut

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have now put over 250 miles on my bike since I made the spacer with zero problems with the carb mounting. I have removed the carb twice to do jet work.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I did this..and it worked great.. Sold the bicycle today for a good profit..
Purchased another bike immediately after..disc brakes and stuff and ordering another motor now..

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think the carb spacer will be going away as an issue, cause the new ones are nylon and are not going to fall apart. The brittle yellowish ones were something else, unbelievable to me that something that brittle would be supplied to be used in this manner.
I made my replacement out of pvc tubing, either that or the copper seems to be a permanent fix. Too bad we had to worry about any of this, if they had just used a decent material to make the spacer in the first place nobody would be talking about it....

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Mine wasn't a yellowish one.. It was the nylone you speak of.. Complete junk.
Really? Cause I got one yellowish one that broke apart almost imediately, and the other one was the whiter nylon one. I am still using the whiter nylon one, carb has been on and off the engine a dozen times, spacer in and out a few and no problems... Maybe the white nylon one gets old and turns into the yellow brittle one! LOL At least there's a cheap fix...

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I dunno. I just know as soon as this next kit comes in..that is one of the many things that I will immediately be tossing in the trash.. I also intend to make myself a spring loaded tensioner since this biek will be seeing some trails and offroad abuse. It should be fairly easy to make one like this.

Spring Loaded Chain Tensioner for Gas Motorized Bicycle Plans | All Parts | Parts for Gas Powered Bicycle Motor Kits | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Powered Bicycle Motors

All I have to do is cut up the tensioner that comes with the kit. Cut out a third piece of metal to make the middle pieces...Flip the wheel. Drill some holes and bolt it all together. It may cost me 3-4 bucks for a spring and bolts...