Clutch slowly begins to drag

GoldenMotor.com

ResidentLurker

Jun 7, 2021
San Francisco Suburbs
Hello! My clutch slowly becomes tighter and tighter (meaning it is harder to disengage the clutch). Now I have to pull the lever all the way in because the engine is still engaged when I lock the clutch in. I know this is not caused by the cable since the clutch lever stays in the right range. When I adjust the flower nut to make it looser, the engine will not engage to start it. I know I am supposed to find the sweet spot in the middle but for me it doesn't exist.

I had this problem a few months ago and I fixed it by replacing the clutch pads but now it is back. I don't think replacing the pads every month is the solution. Could there be some way the pads are getting contaminated?

-Oliver

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The first thing I suggest is to make sure the clutch cable doesn't have too many hard bends in it... (some guys like it zip-tied closely to the frame following the frame curves real tight). I like mine in a nice loose curve from the hand lever to the engine.

Next, lube the inside of the cable & then (if you have it), remove the little spring from the very end that pushes out the engine lever.

You can also make the clutch pads last forever by simply pedaling the bike when you start from a dead stop! (don't just leave by slipping the clutch like you're riding a motorcycle).

ResidentLurker

Jun 7, 2021
San Francisco Suburbs
Thanks for the quick reply. The clutch cable is already as short as it could be and I have already removed the little spring. I will lube up the cable the next chance I get. I also am very gentle on my clutch.

I have another hypothesis at this point though. I noticed that the clutch arm's resting position has to gotten way farther in and the clutch arm has way less travel. Now normally I don't think this would be a problem because I could just tighten the clutch cable but on my bike when the clutch arm is too far in, it hits the seat tube. This wasn't an issue before but now I can't tighten it any more cause it will just hit the tube.

I think I have two possible solutions though: I could saw off the end of the arm and drill a new hole so it clears the tube or I could take a look at the clutch arm assembly to see if there's wear and tear or I heard there's something about a ball bearing in there that gets screwed up easily.

Thanks again for the help

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks for the quick reply. The clutch cable is already as short as it could be and I have already removed the little spring. I will lube up the cable the next chance I get. I also am very gentle on my clutch.

I have another hypothesis at this point though. I noticed that the clutch arm's resting position has to gotten way farther in and the clutch arm has way less travel. Now normally I don't think this would be a problem because I could just tighten the clutch cable but on my bike when the clutch arm is too far in, it hits the seat tube. This wasn't an issue before but now I can't tighten it any more cause it will just hit the tube.

I think I have two possible solutions though: I could saw off the end of the arm and drill a new hole so it clears the tube or I could take a look at the clutch arm assembly to see if there's wear and tear or I heard there's something about a ball bearing in there that gets screwed up easily.

Thanks again for the help

Ok... Remove both engine side covers & check that both large center bolts on each side of the clutch shaft are tight.

If that didn't fix the problem?, the next thing to look for is the 'bucking bar' that's inside the small sprocket... check to see it's overly worn out. (be careful, there's a ball bearing behind it that people always lose when they take it apart)!
Also... the lever arm on the engine has a little 'cam' on the end that pushes the bucking bar in... Is that worn out??

When you put it all back together, add grease inside where the bar is.

Reactions: Greg58