Clutch rod/bucking bar won't move

GoldenMotor.com

cdzlpwr

Jul 3, 2011
central valley, ca
Hey everyone. New to the motor bicycle forum. Bought a sd stinger and putting it on a huffy big daddy.

Problem: clutch rod/bucking bar will nit go in at all. I have tried pushing on it as hard as I want without breaking something. Nothing. It does not move at all. Anyone ever experience this with a new motor?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Most likely the clutch disk needs adjusting. Finer adjustments can be accomplished at either end of the cable. Pull the bucking bar out along with the ball bearing and lube with a light grease. If the clutch is hard to pull there are some solutions.
For starters.....
Originally Posted by 2door
Ron,
Just curious if you've ever looked at the clutch actuator parts and tried smoothing them up a bit. I do this to every engine I work on, new or old. I keep meaning to do a tutorial with photos but just haven't had the time lately. I remove the cam (bucking bar) and using a sanding disc in a Dremmel I slightly round off the sharp edges of the cam ramp as well as the end of the pin that it pushes against. Then I take those parts to my bench grinder with a buffing wheel and polish the contacting surfaces until they look like chrome. Reassemble with a good quality grease and the results are a clutch that, like your wheel mod, will decrease clutch lever pull dramatically. Typically the parts in question are extremely rough from the factory and the smoothing operation reduces the friction inherent with rough surfaces.
I've experimented with the 'noodle' idea with mixed results but have not tried the pulley concept. It's getting cold here now and as of last week, I'm retired with time on my hands. Maybe I'll do some experimentation and use a spring scale to get some comparison readings on what works best.
Keep in touch.
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you trying to push that pin in with your hand? You can't do it. Even with the clutch actuator cover in place pushing the clutch lever all the way in with a bare hand is difficult, especially on a new engine.
Take Al's advice, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted correctly and the clutch should work.
Many new comers are surprised at how much force is required to disengage the clutch.
Good luck. Get back to us is these replys don't help you.
Tom

cdzlpwr

Jul 3, 2011
central valley, ca
i wasnt trying to push it in with my hand. i am not sure what i did but the problem is solved. i took the clutch cover off and the adjusting nut off to see what it looked like. i put it back on and there u go. the clutch is working. only thing i can think of is the adjusting nut was on too tight. thanks for all the help.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
What happens is that the clutch pucks stick to the clutch plates after a period of non-use, and won't release. When you took the plate off, you unstuck them, and now everything will work fine.