clutch question

GoldenMotor.com

fuzzball

Sep 5, 2009
Eagle River, Wisc.
Hello, I'm new to the site and just finished a first build. The kit was from boygofast and the motor runs real good so far, but I'm still on the first tank of gas. I don't understand the clutch. It works fine, by that I mean it doesn't slip or chatter,engages nice and smooth, and the lever pulls in pretty easy. when it sits for any length of time, it wont disengage. What I've had to do before a ride is get on and while holding the lever in, rock it back and forth slightly until I hear this click, or a better word would be snap. Then it's fine till you park it again. I did a search on here and after reading a while found a guy with similar symptoms. Norm told him his chain was loose and was binding on the front sprocket. I readjusted to get 1/2" - 3/4" slack but it's still the same. Other things I've tried was taking the lever side cover back off to make sure the little rod and ball and actuator cam had grease and they do. I also read about putting grease down into the threaded hole where the cable guide goes. This I did not do. I wasn't sure how much to put in there. If that cavity is open to the friction pads, wouldn't grease get on them? What I've done as a temporary solution is to park it with the clutch pinned in. Then it's ok for the next ride. I don't think this is normal, but I'm inexperienced with these. Any thoughts? Thanks, Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
It still sounds like a chain issue to me. You said your chain tension is correct, 1/2 to 3/4" So let's look elsewhere. I just posted this reply to another member who is having the same problem but worse than yours.
There is a point inside the clutch actuator cover where the chain hits. It could be yours has even less clearace there than some. Here's a link that might help you. > http://motorbicycling.com/f4/chain-noise-6682.html
The other thing that might cause the chain to grab while parked is rough teeth on the engine drive sprocket. I've never encountered this particular problem but it has been reported on enough for me to believe it is a possibility. The fix seems to be to smooth the teeth a little with a Dremel tool and the appropriate grinding stone or sanding drum.
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is binding rollers on the chain. Some of the kit supplied #415 chains have tight or stuck rollers that can cause a bind when going over the sprocket, especially the small engine sprocket. Hope one of these clears up your problem.
Tom

fuzzball

Sep 5, 2009
Eagle River, Wisc.
Yes I do have the same interference marks as your photo shows. I can't believe I didn't see that before, or hear it. I need to get a Dremel tool. Been wanting one for a while anyway, but our Ace Hardware is closed this afternoon. I tried a chainsaw file. Way too slow. I have a 4" grinder but I think it would remove way more than necessary. Anyway thanks for your reply, hope that cures it

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Just a added note Fuzz, the chamber under the cable mount does not open to the clutch. There's a bearing in between there and the actual clutch pads.