Clutch Gear/Plate wont come off with Puller

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I've been trying for the last 2 days to get my big clutch gear off my spare engine so I can split the crankcase and rebuild her, But I cant seem to get it off I have tried tapping it with a hammer to get some movement but no luck it started threading the puller luckily It didn't.. I need some help asap!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Did you double check to see that both the nut and lock washer were removed?
I'm not trying to be annoying here, just being thorough with analysis.

If tightening the puller down hard (being careful to not damage the threads in the clutch gear) and whacking it good and hard with a hammer (not tapping it but rather hitting it with authority) did not get it to pop off then you also need to heat it up with a torch. Remove anything else that is flammable from the area first.
Keep the puller tightened down while heating it. Expect smoke and even fire from the grease in the hub bearings. No need to get it cherry red, it should come off way before it gets that hot.
After it comes off, clean the fried grease out of the hub with solvent very thoroughly and re-grease them sparingly.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
You should be able to knock/ press the whole clutch shaft out from the sprocket side if you take the sprocket and key off. The cases will be easier to split without clutch shaft.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. If it is stubborn, just ignore it and pop the entire shaft out from the other side. Really no need to pull it unless the key or shaft/keyway is damaged.
I try never to disturb assemblies that don't need service. I've left out to many keys and suchlike and learned if it ain't broke, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I leave the clutch assembly out then until I have the rest of the bottom end back together.
the sprocket side bearing is usually the last piece to reassembling my motor and is put in with clutch shaft inplace.