Chinese Engines Are Worthless

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: Balancing The Crank?

I don't know about it, but the Manic Mechanic has a section about balance and as I recall says you cannot balance a single cylinder crankshaft?

MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm

He has a pretty high tech graphic there showing why he believes it to be true. All I know is I will take his word for it.

Jim

h
Yes a single cylinder engine can be ballanced, but not to the degree of smoothness that a multi cylinder engine can obtain. (Harleys excluded)

misterww225

Aug 4, 2009
USA
BALANCING YOUR BIKE MOTOR
by: DIYMark MBc Member (MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - Powered by vBulletin
edited by: JW

1) First decide on your balance percentage. The recommended is 55%.
2) Now you will need to weigh the total piston assembly - piston, rings, gudgeon pin, and record it.
3) Now weight each end of the rod with the corresponding bearing inserted into its race. Weight each end with the rod in a horizontal position. 2 accurate scales are ideal, but using one will work too and record it.
4) Add the piston assembly weight to the little end weight and times his amount by the balance percentage (keep in mined 55% equals 0.55) then add the big end weight to this number and you have balance mass.
BalanceMass = [( PistonAssym + RodLittleEnd) X 0.55 ] + RodBigEnd
5) Now make up a BalanceMass that weighs exactly as calculated above. You can make it from anything
such as nuts/bolts taped together or be fancy and machine a collar.
6) Inspect and re-machine the crankshaft counterbalances, if required, to obtain concentric components.
7) Fix the BalanceMass to the crank pin, press together, true, and mount your crank on 2 knife edge bearings that are level to the ground and parallel (2 steel rods will work).
8) You have to remove enough metal from the crank throws symmetrically (left/right) so that with the balance mass attached to the crank pin, you can turn the crank along the knife edges and no-matter what position you leave it at, it won't roll over to the heavier side. If the BalanceMass itself is too heavy, it will require removing an amount of metal from the BalanceMass and then removing amount/0.55 from the piston assembly. This requires careful thought. Although not necessary, if you want to be precise, use the density of steel/aluminum to calculate possible diameter holes and their depth to equal the desired weight to be drilled.
9) Once you are satisfied with the balance, dissemble the crank, clean and oil all components, press together, and true the crankshaft.

Although you cannot balance a single cylinder, this might get you a little closer so it doesn't give yer mits "lawnmower" effect at 8500 RPM. I'll give it a shot soon.

Oh, yea, please make corrections or give feedback so others can use this or other balancing techniques to balance their motors. It might be a good idea to keep it at the "shade tree mechanic" level (because I'm one), to make it possible. If you can get a good balance, share the tech info with us as to where to drill holes, what epoxy you filled the holes with and so-on.

Last edited:

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
several thoughts.........

i've installed about 30 of the china girls, i make a decent retired living doing this.....

i have the customer buy the engine, i give him a list of the trusted site and engine options.

3 of these motors were 'happy times', the parts were cheap and broke some of them during the install. all 3 have come back in a short time with the motor trashed.

2 of the customers brought a 'boy go fast' motoe and i refused to install them, trashy!

i have had excelent results with the 'flying horse' motors, 3, 4, 5 thousand miles and i'm told are still running strong.

the grubee skyhawk has been the most reliable with a good set of hardware in the kit. it is a little more money.

the major problem with all of them is the cheap clutch hub bearings. my own bike had 2 motors in a row had the hub bearings crumble within 4 or 5 hundred miles.
jim (the manic mechanic) will replace the bearings with a hard steel set for $25. same motors now hae almost 4,000 miles and the bearings are whisper quiet.

my observation is that for a hundred bucks i can get a new 'motor only' and go another year (transferings the steel bearing set into the new motor. 30 minute job.)

i looked into he morini option also. $450 for the basic 3 hp motor, plus kit and special hardware. i can buy 5 or 6 of the china girls for the same money. replacing the motor only is a couple of hours.

if you are only satisfied with a cadillack go for it. i'll stay with the fords.

stay dry

gubba

Last edited:

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
You got an YXM engine?? :)
i have a grubee starfire engine it runs great.... but the yxm cranks didnt clear the pull start because the bend on the crank was bent to far back in at the factory the peddals dont sit flat so ithe crank is pretty much usless to me..... the wider crank does bolt onto my stock spindle.. the sprocket on the right side crank dosent fit on my mountain bike only because of the chainring is to big kind of like a sprocket from a roadbike... i do feel that if they would have sold me a crank that was bent right it would have worked on my old school ten speed because i run a bigger chain rings on my ten speed road bike then on my mountain bike......

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
^contact the vendor for that sort of thing..... cranks that dont leave the pedal flat are garbage and should be replaced/refunded. something isnt right.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
number one: the cranks should not be bent,they should be longer for the wide kit.
number two: you can change the peddal sprockets by taking off the nut that holds it on the spindle or crank and you can use what ever size you need to, plus you can make your chain longer or shorter so it will fit.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
15 dollars return shipping two weeks to get thier plus however long it takes them to send it back and "fix" it plus two weeks two ship it back to me plushoweverlonmg it takes for them to put it in the mail... im figuring a month and a half time atleast before i got the cranks back.... then i consider they have never received a positive rating on this product so if this is the case i have no confidence that the product would even be usable after they "fix" it for me.... also i dont think the sprocket is removable.... well.. atleast not removable by unscrewing anything.... to bad they always burn people with thier cranks it does have a 46t sprocket but like i said the peddals dont sit flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.