China drive sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

tinman57

Apr 23, 2013
Long Beach
Hi guys, I'm assembling a 66cc in my Felt MP. I got a 415 chain and the drive sprocket is so poorly made that the teeth aren't all the same size and some of the teeth hang on the sprocket. Fo mockup I ground on the sprocket to get it to at least roll around but I want to get an aftermarket drive sprocket and haven't seen any on the sites I've checked out. Are there any out there? USA made would be even betterI don't mind paying for the safety factor.

I want to replace the stock tensioner with an aftermarket one also, any opinions on those?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, I'm assembling a 66cc in my Felt MP. I got a 415 chain and the drive sprocket is so poorly made that the teeth aren't all the same size and some of the teeth hang on the sprocket. Fo mockup I ground on the sprocket to get it to at least roll around but I want to get an aftermarket drive sprocket and haven't seen any on the sites I've checked out. Are there any out there? USA made would be even betterI don't mind paying for the safety factor.

I want to replace the stock tensioner with an aftermarket one also, any opinions on those?
Welcome to the forum!
Are you talking about the 10 tooth front or the rear sprocket?
They both can have the problems you are dealing with.

what brand of motor do you have?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The 10 tooth drive sprocket. It's a Grubee "sky hawk, I think" I've got a billet hub adapter for the rear, so I'm good there.
Nobody makes an aftermarket 10 tooth sprocket.

Is yours the thin 410 bicycle one or the thicker 415 sprocket?

Some are worse than others, and filing them to shape can work.

Try www.PistonBikes.com for a replacement and have them check
it out before they send it to you. They sell the SkyHawk parts.

KW Machine works sells a specific tensioner made for the aluminum framed Felts
Motor mounts, tank bung, tensioner and a sprocket too.

http://www.kwmachineworks.com/Motorized_bikes.html

Last edited:

tinman57

Apr 23, 2013
Long Beach
I've only ever handled the one sprocket so I'll just guess that it's 410. I'm not tied in to any tooth size yet, are there any quality sprockets that will fit that are a different size?

It is an aluminum frame so I'll check it out thanks.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I've only ever handled the one sprocket so I'll just guess that it's 410. I'm not tied in to any tooth size yet, are there any quality sprockets that will fit that are a different size?

It is an aluminum frame so I'll check it out thanks.
410 is 1/8" bicycle chain size and is what the SkyHawks come with.

There are no other sizes for the 10 tooth engine sprocket unless
you custom make one.
Piston Bikes should have the thicker 415 10 tooth sprocket.

I forgot it was an aluminum Felt so all the KW Machine stuff will work.
what are you using for a tank?
The KW Machine bung makes your frame into a tank.

Are you keeping your fork tubes?
I need just the Felt 1 3/8" tubes for my Vintage Iron.

Last edited:

tinman57

Apr 23, 2013
Long Beach
Mine is the newer frame without the flared tank, so I don't think the KW cap bung will work. My plan is to put a tank under the seat and clad it in leather like the factory bag that it came with.

I'll be using the forks until I can find some with suspension. :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Mine is the newer frame without the flared tank, so I don't think the KW cap bung will work. My plan is to put a tank under the seat and clad it in leather like the factory bag that it came with.

I'll be using the forks until I can find some with suspension. :)
Let me know if that is soon but I am probably going to do the same.

My fork has the Sturmey drum brake with brake arm stop.

I may be selling the wide Felt rims with berm master tires and
a 3 speed Nexus 24" rear.

You got one of the new style Felt MP's, do you have a pic?
Did you buy it new? for how much?

what tank did you get or make?

Hey, thinking about doing an OC ride from Donuts Derelicts in HB
to the Stanton Car Show on May 18th then on to El Dorado park?

tinman57

Apr 23, 2013
Long Beach
^Toad, I was afraid that would happen it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy thinking that the chain is probably harder that the drive gear.

Felt MP by dragboatdamon, on Flickr

I bought it on eBay for just over $400 used. I haven't selected or built a tank yet. When I'm happy with everything else that will be the last thing I'll try to do. I'll be at the Cycle meet at Vet's stadium this Sunday, probably riding my Whizzer. If the stars line up and the gods are favorable I might have the MP done, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The donut ride sounds fun, I'll give it a thought as we get closer.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
^Toad, I was afraid that would happen it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy thinking that the chain is probably harder that the drive gear.
I don't know about that, I tried a high quality file on my teeth and if I continued the file would have worn smooth.

In my opinion, just the problem spots wear down faster, leaving everything that meshes well to wear normally.

Just like a new pair of shoes, after a while they just fit better as your shoe conforms to your feet.

tinman57

Apr 23, 2013
Long Beach
The motor mounts are KW, I'm 99% sure it's an aluminum frame but I'll look again when I get home. It's a pretty light bike compared to all my Schwinn's.